Dwarf Lady from Hobbit

LadyMdej

So, I was looking at the concept art of the background dwarven women from the Hobbit art book (haven't seen the movie yet, we are going tomorrow, so I don't even know if they are in this one or one of the other two that are coming out later) and I was thinking it might be an awesome thing to do for DragonCon.

I'm not super tall (5'6"), and I read shorter than I am, so I think I could pull it off if I build it right. I'm experienced with building wigs and doing makeups, (so ladydwarf ornamental stylish beardiness doesn't scare me at all). I'll probably build a fully styled wig and accessory facial hair appliances so I don't have too much dressing to worry about. The ornaments are a fun part to me, too because stage jewellry is one of the things I do as well. So I know I have the skills to make it work.

The thing I am worried about is source material. My question is, has anyone seen anything but the neck-up concepts? Are they in this installment? Is this all going to be guesswork? (i hope not!) :unsure

Um, help? :$

Last edited:
Re: Dwarf Lady from Hobbit concept art

ok, so after a couple of days of fruitless searching for anything, I hit upon the right terms and found this:
Harebell blog: Fantastic film & TV costumes, part VI (dwarf lady!!)
That gives me hope :D

It looks renfaireish, and I might even have a couple of existing pieces I can work from that haven't come out of storage in ages, which would leave me time to focus on appliances, hair and jewellry.

BTW, not too worried about spoilers - I have read the book a dozen times, and the silmarillion and the collected notes and stuff. Lots. It's good geeky backstory.

I must have blinked and missed any Dwarven women if they were in Part 1, but I'm interested to see what they look like, especially with Gimli's comments about non-Dwarves not being able to tell the difference (beards). Always makes me think of Discworld Dwarfs where they really are practically identical, apart from slightly finer beards

Double post but I just had a thought while looking up Discworld Dwarfs
On the Discworld you really can't tell the genders apart, and they use the pronoun 'he' by default. So maybe, just maybe, one or more of Thorin's company are actually daughters of Durin's folk?

Certainly the females top and bottom left here have beards:
tumblr_mf347xofsp1qmxaa8o1_500.jpg

This blogger has much the same thought: Sexualized Saturdays: Where are all my dwarf ladies at? | Lady Geek Girl and Friends

Last edited:
There is a two-page bit in the art book (mine is on order with Amazon) that shows Dwarf ladies and kids head/hair concept and a rough sketch of a dwarf woman and child with some commentary about their design.

Oo! I just checked the dwarf women tag at tumblr and found a collection of low res stills. Because I won't get to see high-res for a while yet.

dwarf women | Tumblr (not all hobbit film related, lots of fanart and independent concepts but the concepts for the hair/heads are there as well as the film images, just keep scrolling). The Dwarf women look to be wearing a mix of Italian and German renaissance era elements, high/short waists, wide necklines, heavy broad skirts that on anyone without substantial hips might need a pad to make them read wider. A good mix for making the women read as broad and stocky, actually. :)

I am really glad I have that huge box of vintage glass beads and like wirework. I foresee lots of beaded chains in my future :lol

Oh, and yes, I am So Thrilled I won't be the only one. I've got friends who will be there but afaik I am the only one doing anything LOTR/Hobbit.

Working on concept sketches. Need to get out my historical stuff that might work for this, see how it fits.

Hate my concept sketches. Grrr.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back