Dutch's Diorama, Progress shots

streetjudge34

Just painted the groundwork.. Still has a ways to go but I figured' I would post up progress shots.

5098ab51.jpg

b77c3277.jpg

Looks great so far. I'd throw in some fallen leaves, twigs, and broken branches. If this is depicting the scene where they mow down the jungle you could even put a small leafy bush in the far right corner in front of them and splash a lil green blood on there. Lot's of ways to go. Very cool.

A Hunters Moon, don't worry, All that is coming. This is just the preliminary base coat. :) I'm going to have a few really cool elements having to do with Hawkins missing body.

Very impressive work and great attention to detail, I really like it. I'd be too tempted to try and do a death scene with Dillon.

Ok... This is what I used.

1. Paper Mache' (for the base goundwork)
2.plastic aquarium plants
3.Plastic aquarium decorative Log
4. Scrap Driftwood I found behind my house on the beach
5.Spanish Moss (For covering the aquarium log)
6.Chopped up parsley and Oregano (for the fallen leaves)

Basically, I started by masking off the wood base. I purchased the base off ebay. The seller had it all finished and sealed for me. I gave him the dimension I wanted and he built it for me.
I then placed the figure bases on the wood base. I outlined each with a pencil so I knew where they would go when I got started on it. I glued down the bases for the figures. I wanted to utulize them since they
already had the mounting pins in them for the figures. I then covered the base with Paper Mache and let it dry thouroughly. While still wet, I placed the trees,log and anything that would look sunk into the groundwork.
I could then glue them in later and they would look natural. I used concrete screws to mount the trees onto the base for added support. I painted the groundwork, then drilled holes to mound the random plants.
I then sprayed elmers adhesive all over the gound work. Then I sprinkled on the oregano and parsley. The Oregano first, since it looks like dried dead leaves, and the parsley on top since it's green and looks freshly fallen.
After they dried, I then hit it with clear coat to seal them and take away the odor. I added moss to the trees and then added fallen palm plants around the base. Hawkins Gear was added and also spent bullet casings.
That's about it.

Very cool display.I think background is the key to all figures and models.Can you imagine how they would look on a shelf by themselves, they would loss that action feel.Dont get me wrong though , they look great and would pop out with figures around them but with this display makes them priceless.Great work!!!!!!!

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back