Dune (part 2)

I heard a rumor that Anya Taylor-Joy will be playing
Alia, does anyone know for sure? I'm wondering if she's just going to be a voice talking to Jessica or what. Otherwise they would have to do a big time jump and miss some really cool stuff.

The first film was okay, it felt a bit unnecessarily long and a bit slow. I hadn't read the book so there wasn't a huge level of expectation for me and watched it at home on streaming.
My girlfriend really enjoyed part 1 so I think we will be off to see part 2 at the cinema in a week or so.
It will be interesting to see how the story is wrapped up.
Fingers crossed for an entertaining conclusion.

Last edited:
Question for those who have seen it. I've heard of the new Dune 2 the story changes that were made from the original book (and subsequently the 1983 David Lynch version and the 2000 Sci-Fi mini series). Does this affect the flow of the film? Is it jarring?

Without getting into spoilers for anyone who hasn't seen the new film or previous books/films, let me give a comparison:

...Imagine if in The Empire Strikes Back, Obi-Wan never shows up as a Force ghost... he's not in the film at all. Could you tell the same story? Yes.

...Imagine if in Return of the Jedi, when Emperor Palpatine tortures Luke with Force Lightning... Leia shows up to help fight the Emperor.

...Imagine if Luke enters Jabba's palace, Luke avoids the Rancor pit, and kills Jabba himself, and escapes with the heroes. Does the rest of the film essentially tell the same story? Well, yes.

...or if Boba Fett would have flown away from the sail barge and not got involved with the skiff fight. Does the rest of the story essentially play out the same? Yes again.

I saw Part 2 the other day. It was a good movie but like others have said it’s quite long. There are a few pretty slow parts where I actually “almost” fell asleep. The acting, effects and action were all tremendous. I liked the introduction of the new characters. I think Christopher Walken was an odd choice for the Emperor. It was the typical Walken acting style and seemed a little flat. They could have given him a much bigger part with more to do. I think he only had a few lines throughout the whole movie. Anyone could have played the part as written.

Overall we liked it and are looking forward to Part 3. I hope it’s not 3 years but it probably will be.

I just got back from watching it and I think it just confirmed that Dune isn't for me.
I found the first one rather long and a bit boring. This second part didn't do much to change my mind. I gave it a try through.

Some things didn't make sense.

1.Why, if there are rifles/laser weapons are the majority of the battles found hand to hand with swords? Especially when protecting the valuable Spice depot on Arrakis. It seemed like a really illogical move and a terrible military tactic. I felt like it was done more for the visual "spectacle" of having hand to hand fighting but it didn't make sense in universe.

2. The Fremen seemingly have to trek great distances to get to these attack sites, there was a scene near the end where their army all.aprar St the top of the sand dune by the depot and would be absolutely knackered by the time they traversed the miles of sand between them and the enemy

3. This brings me on to my point about them "riding" the worms as they seemingly have little control apart from nominal left and right movement. You never see them stopping the worms and dismounting. The worms never seem to stop so you would likely have to leap off, almost certainly to your death.
Linked into this there were scenes where there was a whole caravan of people including Lady Jessica in a Fremen style Sedan chair, how the hell did they all safely mount the worm and remain tethered and again how did they all dismount?

Lastly there was the horrible dirge of Hans Zimmer's "score". I know this is just personal taste, but I prefer music with a theme and melody rather than just atonal blats from a foghorn.

I'm sure Dune fans will absolutely love this and I'm pleased they've got a faithful adaptation. I also recognise the efforts of the cast and crew I just found it to be overly long and a bit dull.
This was a watch once and don't need to see it again film for me.
I won't be watching the next one.

1.Why, if there are rifles/laser weapons are the majority of the battles found hand to hand with swords? Especially when protecting the valuable Spice depot on Arrakis. It seemed like a really illogical move and a terrible military tactic. I felt like it was done more for the visual "spectacle" of having hand to hand fighting but it didn't make sense in universe.

Because of personal shields. They stop projectiles, so you have to get a blade through it that's moving slow enough. Although this is not elaborated on in the movie, lasers cannot be used against shields, because they react with each other, causing a massive explosion that can annihilate both sides. That's why lasers are only used against unshielded vehicles.

2. The Fremen seemingly have to trek great distances to get to these attack sites, there was a scene near the end where their army all.aprar St the top of the sand dune by the depot and would be absolutely knackered by the time they traversed the miles of sand between them and the enemy

Riding the sandworms is very common for traversing great distances.

3. This brings me on to my point about them "riding" the worms as they seemingly have little control apart from nominal left and right movement. You never see them stopping the worms and dismounting. The worms never seem to stop so you would likely have to leap off, almost certainly to your death.
Linked into this there were scenes where there was a whole caravan of people including Lady Jessica in a Fremen style Sedan chair, how the hell did they all safely mount the worm and remain tethered and again how did they all dismount?

The sandworm is steered by exposing its skin plates to the sand. When you peel up a layer, the sandworm naturally "rolls" to move that surface as far away from the ground as possible. As a result, a sandrider has to be prepared to "walk" along the body of the worm as they steer it. Mounting and dismounting is done the same way, and can even be done from ground level. The palanquin is kind of a stretch, I agree. The sandworms do stop when they are exhausted, and sometimes the Fremen will ride a sandworm to death. I kind of feel the David Lynch version of this scene is a bit more accurate to the book.

Last edited:
The most hilarious “negative” review, that I have seen, calls Part 2 lacking, when compared to Zack Snyder’s Rebel Moon.

Oh yeah, and Lord of the Rings is equally “fatuous”.

Holy hilarity…

IMG_3522.jpeg

Last edited:
The most hilarious “negative” review, that I have seen, calls Part 2 lacking, when compared to Zack Snyder’s Rebel Moon.

Oh yeah, and Lord of the Rings is equally “fatuous”.

Holy hilarity…

View attachment 1795918
"Revives mythic understanding of both mankind's history and fate." I can't stop laughing. If Zack Snyder was a god we'd all be eating cheerios in "dramatic" slow motion.

Looking forward to part 2. (y)

Because of personal shields. They stop projectiles, so you have to get a blade through it that's moving slow enough. Although this is not elaborated on in the movie, lasers cannot be used against shields, because they react with each other, causing a massive explosion that can annihilate both sides. That's why lasers are only used against unshielded vehicles.
I'm referring to the Fremen, I could be wrong but they didn't seem to have personal shields and the soldiers guarding the spice depot did yet they just hang around and wait for the Fremen to get close and take them out. Playing to the Fremen's strength of hand to hand combat.
If you have long range weapons like rifles it is a terrible tactic to wait for your enemy to get close so they can play to their strength and take you out with a sword whilst you are in a cumbersome environmental suit.
Riding the sandworms is very common for traversing great distances.

The sandworm is steered by exposing its skin plates to the sand. When you peel up a layer, the sandworm naturally "rolls" to move that surface as far away from the ground as possible. As a result, a sandrider has to be prepared to "walk" along the body of the worm as they steer it. Mounting and dismounting is done the same way, and can even be done from ground level. The palanquin is kind of a stretch, I agree. The sandworms do stop when they are exhausted, and sometimes the Fremen will ride a sandworm to death. I kind of feel the David Lynch version of this scene is a bit more accurate to the book.
They really didn't show this, the Fremen walked everywhere in the film. Except that scene with the caravan on the back of the worm. But again the film shows that there is no way to stop a worm or start them again. These are seemingly forces of nature that you happen to get on if you are in the right place at the right time. There's no finesse or control over their speed. Paul's first test when trying to get on a sandworm shows you have to be very lucky to get on one, he even has to sprint across the dune and jump on and almost falls off.

There may be details in the books that explain things but when you are making a mass market film you have to show these things otherwise they look like big logic/potholes.

Last edited:
I think Foundation is a much more interesting story about a galactic empire and the AppleTV adaptation has been a great series which really depicts the visual differences between the worlds of the empire. Dune feels small and bland and lacking in scope by comparison.

Last edited:
Question for those who have seen it. I've heard of the new Dune 2 the story changes that were made from the original book (and subsequently the 1983 David Lynch version and the 2000 Sci-Fi mini series). Does this affect the flow of the film? Is it jarring?

Without getting into spoilers for anyone who hasn't seen the new film or previous books/films, let me give a comparison:

...Imagine if in The Empire Strikes Back, Obi-Wan never shows up as a Force ghost... he's not in the film at all. Could you tell the same story? Yes.

...Imagine if in Return of the Jedi, when Emperor Palpatine tortures Luke with Force Lightning... Leia shows up to help fight the Emperor.

...Imagine if Luke enters Jabba's palace, Luke avoids the Rancor pit, and kills Jabba himself, and escapes with the heroes. Does the rest of the film essentially tell the same story? Well, yes.

...or if Boba Fett would have flown away from the sail barge and not got involved with the skiff fight. Does the rest of the story essentially play out the same? Yes again.
I'd say that the major changes in the storyline do not really regard depicting events differently, but rather the overall timeline - and the focus of certain developments. So sometimes the order of events is modified which sometimes sheds a different light on the probable motivations of the characters. And some periods of time which are extending longer in the book are more compressed in the movie. But this doesn't feel rushed in my opinion, but rather allows for a continuous flow of events without any gaps. At least it helped me to stay in touch with the characters.
But the reordered timeline - hopefully without spoiling anything - actually results in some characters missing that would have appeared at certain points in the original story. We won't know up until Part 3 if the missing characters will play a larger role later on - or if they will be left out alltogether.
All in all, I really enjoyed watching the movie and do like the way Villeneuve approached the story.
But that's just my personal opinion, of course.

There was some editing stuff that felt weird to me... like when Paul is told to go out on a 2 week trek into the desert alone, is told about all the bad things to watch out for, then ends u hanging out with Chani for a bit and suddenly the next scene is both of them attacking a spice harvester with a bunch of other people. I guess his trek is over?

And when Paul goes to get the water of life, the lady tells him he cant, then suddenly shes in front of him with it in totally different clothes, like a different scene. If this was meant to imply he used The Voice on her, it was done really poorly compared to previous examples.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back