Dune group for D*C 2013 interest

:lolWow this is a pic of me (blonde hair) and my cousin!!! W e are actually going to try our hand at becoming Bene Gessirits for D*C 2013!! You gave us the inspiration!!! We would love to join any group!!

Nicole

Hi. I'm trying to gauge interest in doing this group.

I'm really interested in putting together a Lynchian dune group together for next D*C. I have a still suit already and I'm going to start working on an idea I have for building a thumper along with the climbing ropes and grapples for worm riding.

Also, I'd be interested in working with anyone who is interested in building weirding modules.

I'd love it if there would be a whole group though.

This is me at the D*C that just passed (I have no idea who the women are, but they wanted a picture with me and remember them being really nice). I'm willing to help anyone interested in making a stillsuit with any part of their build.

Cheers,
David

7950606580_678d9e961d_z.jpg

Hey niugnep,

I remember talking to you at DC 2011 when I saw you in your still suit. It's an amazing costume. I'm interested but don't sew and don't really know where to start.

Hrm. There's a lot of sewing involved. :)

I didn't sew my stillsuit though, a good friend named Don did my sewing (trying to get him to D*C). Since then I've taken some sewing classes though and now I feel I could probably tackle it. One of the main things, all the foam "footballs" sewing first and then attached to the unitard. Also, since they're wrapped in a knit fabric, you have to hem them together with a zig-zag stitch.

Sidebar: You're a member of the kilted trooper brigade? I've been thinking about doing that for my TK to a few events. Sure would make sitting and going to the bathroom easier ;)

Yeh, the kilt makes like easier and it looks good too. :)

Might you be taking commissions r do you have detailed instructions?

I need to scan some photos for you folks to see. We did a group in the 80's when it came out, then reprised it in the early 90's. I've seen the actual costumes while they were in storage and on tour.
You know.. I think I still have one of our last stillsuits at my shop. Maybe someone here would like to refurbish it & wear it for the con. It's a size Lg. We made them from thrift store jogging suits covered in quilted pads. ( the real ones were sculpted, cast & glued on foam rubber pads which I'm sure are long disintigrated) We used hot glue for the tube system & covered the entire things with tinted latex rubber -and cinnamon powder! You know.. had to have that authentic look and smell :D BTW- we did have a Feyd in 'speedo' ;)

And all these years I thought I was the only one that enjoyed/appreciated the 1984 Dune costumes. LOL
This is a great idea...and rather ironic. Last Saturday I was with a bunch of friends and we mentioned we should do the Atreides uniforms - the green velvet jacket ones. Then I pop in here and find this thread!
I am definitely interested...just hope I can find the time to complete them!

MANY years ago there was a group here in L.A. that did the Emperor's outfit (yes, with that ginormous cape!) and his court. It was AMAZING.

Dragon*Con is FAST approaching! Ack! So, much to do!

Anyway... I guess it's time to start trying to get a head count and then we can figure out a group time. I still plan on having my thumper ready (crosses fingers).

*L* Found one of the old pix and scanned it for you. This was at the premeire of the movie in GA, waaay back when. I wish I still had those costumes, but they are long gone. We had a Feyd and another Reverend Mother with us at a con not long after that. And I remade a stillsuit in the 90's.. that's one that I still have in 2 pieces. I hope to see a group at D*C this year.. I'll say hi if I find you all.

I am still bringing my Bene Gesserit, I am busy Friday and Saturday Night, but I might wear Saturday afternoon, or Sunday. Anyone else planned on when they're wearing theirs?

I am still bringing my Bene Gesserit, I am busy Friday and Saturday Night, but I might wear Saturday afternoon, or Sunday. Anyone else planned on when they're wearing theirs?

I'm pretty much the same as you as far as schedule. Sunday might work best as I'm also working the 501st table Sat afternoon. So, day or evening?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sunday, day it is. Shall we say 1pm Sunday at the Marriott? Maybe the bar area is a place to meet?

Who else is in?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I will be bringing my reconstructed Stillsuit with me. I plan to wear it either Saturday or Sunday night. I will try and swing by the Marriott bar on Sunday afternoon.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back