Dune group for D*C 2013 interest

niugnep

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hi. I'm trying to gauge interest in doing this group.

I'm really interested in putting together a Lynchian dune group together for next D*C. I have a still suit already and I'm going to start working on an idea I have for building a thumper along with the climbing ropes and grapples for worm riding.

Also, I'd be interested in working with anyone who is interested in building weirding modules.

I'd love it if there would be a whole group though.

This is me at the D*C that just passed (I have no idea who the women are, but they wanted a picture with me and remember them being really nice). I'm willing to help anyone interested in making a stillsuit with any part of their build.

Cheers,
David

7950606580_678d9e961d_z.jpg

I would be interested. I always liked the original better. And I already have the schlera blue contacts, just need the suit and the wilding module. Let me know, I might be able to get some others on board, but it just depends I guess. Thanks.

I want more info on the stillsuits. Hell, I may be talked into a group. Kind of depends on how full my plate is. But for starters... Stillsuit build info?

I've been trying to talk a resin caster into doing a weirding module for over a year, but he's pretty busy and it's hard to get him in enthused about something that might sell 5 units. :-/

I replied to a thread awhile back with info on my build. http://www.therpf.com/f24/dune-still-suits-seeking-info-131555/

The gist is that it's a cotton front zippered body suit base. Then fabric wrapped pockets of foam that are sewn to the body suit. After it's all said in done, it's painted with flat black latex house paint... many many MANY coats until the foam stop absorbing it all.

I didn't go for the schlera contacts as I'm sure those would kill me. I don't wear contacts or glasses anymore. Last year, I went with a manufacturer from the UK and my eyes revolted. This year, I found a different manufacturer (Gothik) and much different experience. My eyes were quite comfortable in the contacts for long periods and they come out BRILLIANT in pictures ;)

Anybody up for a Bene Gesserit?

DUDE THIS IS SO AWESOME!!! I would love to work on a Dune group. There are some great costumes from that not just stillsuits. even though that is the best one.

The costume design for Lynch's Dune was first rate in my opinion. It immediately caught my attention as a kid when I first saw this movie.

I just ordered the blu-ray and hopefully, if work slows down, I can get some time to post some screen grabs of the various costumes for everyone.

I'll be watching this with interest...the boyfriend and I just decided on the Lynch stillsuits for next years dragoncon costumes last week. We have a possible third person interested, but we'll see. I'm still in the planning/how the hell do I build these things phase, but I'll probably start working on them in earnest after Halloween. I would LOVE to do a reverend mother costume too, but that'll depend on how much time I end up having pre D*Con. To be honest, I'm mostly worried about the contacts, since I've never worn contacts period, never mind sclera ones. If anyone has any tips about those, I'll take 'em.

I didn't go for the sclera ones, instead I just went with the brightest blue ones I could find. Not only do I think my eyes would HATE them (I had lasik I while ago, so my eyes don't care for contacts now), but they are CRAZY expensive.

Last year, I did a contact that drove me crazy... so this year, I made sure to order from a different manufacturer (Gothik) and I'm happy to say that I could wear my contacts all day without serious problems. Just occasional natural tear drops.

Yeah, I'm thinking that just the plain blue contacts are probably the wiser choice. I've been rewatching the movie this week, and I think they actually look closer to the movie effects...the sclera contacts don't look nearly as bright as the iris ones.

I spent last night doing materials research, googled male catsuit, got sidetracked into the weird part of the internet. I keep trying to think of ways to get around the fact that these costumes are gonna be complete sweat chambers, but I guess I should forget about it since it's pretty unavoidable.

It's actually not that bad while you're inside. More comfortable than my stormtrooper and more freedom of movement (although sitting down is still a little tough). But I can honestly tell you that I've worn the costume for 6 hours in a stretch (at least) and not been uncomfortable.

I'm definately in for this group...Still suits are one of those costumes that transend the film itself. I've wanted one for years. I chatted with you David, also from the 501st, and will be working on a suit for DC2013. i'm going to try the scelera lenses...i had LASIK three years ago...but wore contacts for 26 years...so i'm pretty sure i can work my way up to wearing them for at least a couple hours. i'll start with 20 min, and then keep increasing by 10 min each time i wear them around the house to get used to them...just have to save up.

I was at Dcon this year with my Stillsuit costume. I didn't see you there, but a lady that took my picture said she had taken pics of someone else in one the night before (I was out on Sunday).

This was my first attempt and it turned out well. I learned a lot of lesson this time around, and my next one should be much better. I would love to brainstorm ideas for improving the suit as well as making accessories.

I do plan on being at Dcon 2013 (providing I can find a hotel).

Ted

Last edited:
I was at Dcon this year with my Stillsuit costume. I didn't see you there, but a lady that took my picture said she had taken pics of someone else in one the night before (I was out on Sunday).

This was my first attempt and it turned out well. I learned a lot of lesson this time around, and my next one should be much better. I would love to brainstorm ideas for improving the suit as well as making accessories.

I do plan on being at Dcon 2013 (providing I can find a hotel).

Ted

Wow! Your suit looks fantastic!

I wish I would have run into you. Well, if you do get a hotel for 2013 DC, we'll definitely have to do some planning and hopefully we can have a group.

Going to start work on the floor thumper soon.

Wow! Your suit looks fantastic!

I wish I would have run into you. Well, if you do get a hotel for 2013 DC, we'll definitely have to do some planning and hopefully we can have a group.

Going to start work on the floor thumper soon.

Thanks! I was thinking the same thing about your suit.

I only had 10 days to work on it, so it was only about 75% done. I didn't get to really do much to the legs, or make accessories.

It wasn't too durable, but I did learn where to use, and where not to use hot glue. The suit lasted the night, but started to fall apart when I peeled it off. I am on the fence about whether or not to rebuild this one, or start from scratch...

I am planning the rope and hooks for accessories, and possibly a weirding module.

I finally was able to book a hotel close to Dragoncon, so it looks like I will be redoing the Stillsuit. I will most likely start that and my other costumes next month.

I made a Bene Gesserit Costume Last year and plan on bringing it again. Just let me know when the meet up is and I will be there :)
bene-gesserit.jpg

What's in the box? ;)

Pain, of course. :lol

Wow! Your Bene Gesserit looks fantastic!

Also, I'm quite happy that it looks like we might be able to do a reasonably good Dune group this year at D*C! I'm thrilled. I'm trying to get a few friends interested in some Dune costumes in NOLA. The more the merrier!

As it gets closer we can determine a meet up time and place that works for everyone.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back