"Dresden Files" - I found Bob's Skull! *COMPLETED PICS*

Re: "Dresden Files" - I found Bob's Skull!

Excellent match and carving so far!

Allosaur, I'm certain that the larger eyes effect in the image of the prop comes from lense distortion. That shot was taken at a shorter distance with a wider angle lense than the product shot. You'll notice that Kerr's mugshot of the skull has an even more pronounced version of this effect. =)

Almost done!! I'm still tweaking the paintjob here and there, removing some in some spots and adding more trying to get the weathering as close as conceivable. When I'm all done I'll go with the copper wire wrapping of the jaw!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Thanks everyone! I think I got the paintjob just where I want it and have started wire wrapping the jaw. I got one side just how I want it I think, and will need to redo the other side as I hadn't used a long enough section so I didn't get as many loops as I wanted. I'm trying to oxidize the copper wire but am not sure what would be best to use. I know there is supposed to be some rapid oxidizing material out there for copper, but I don't know where to get it or what it's called. Anyone know the product name?

I recommend casting it, before wiring it up.

Honestly, I don't think there's enough interest in castings to warrant molding it. It'd also probably be a real ***** to make castings. The manufacturer roto cast the base skulls. The copper wrapping is easy enough to take off after it's complete though, so maybe I'll finish it up and start an interest thread with the completed pictures and we'll see what interest there really is.

I've got the wire wrapping done, I've used some Draino on the copper and it's starting to turn green in some spots but not quite as fast as I'd like. I was hoping it would be done by now so I can post completed pics but I'll give it a few more days.

Now that is one badass replica, excellent work indeed!

Love the show, shame it never made it past the first season... same old story for many of my favorite shows!

Okay, finished pics I think! I got a few pics outside with some natural lighting so the coloration came out better I think. The copper wire is developing a nice patina slowly but surely.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I'm going to investigate how much it would cost to cast it up in two parts and start an interest thread in the Junkyard. If there's really enough interest I'll probably unwrap it and mold it up.

Attachments

• 11-04-10-BobSkull1.jpg
    11-04-10-BobSkull1.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 10,187
  • 11-04-10-BobSkull2.jpg
    11-04-10-BobSkull2.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 2,407
  • 11-04-10-BobSkull3.jpg
    11-04-10-BobSkull3.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 3,708
  • 11-04-10-BobSkull4.jpg
    11-04-10-BobSkull4.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 2,496
  • 11-04-10-BobSkull5.jpg
    11-04-10-BobSkull5.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 3,021
Bob really came out great.

That's definitely a piece deserving some shelf space, nestled with some candles and red-stripe romance novels.

Bravo!

Thanks everyone! I would estimate that the total time was probably about 10 hours from start to finish. Having sourced the original skull really helped out keep it as accurate as possible. I was able to draw out much of the lines pretty close to the original using the natural topography of the skull. The wash was initially a bit of a screw up. I started using a MIG brown wash, but that stuff is CRAP. It started eating up the paint already on the skull so I had to quickly and carefully strip it off using a little acetone, then scrubbed and washed the skull with water before re-primering. Then I stuck with several different dilultions of Red Brown Tamiya paint. Starting with the thickest paint mix to paint the inside of the skull and the lines, then with a few different lighter mixes to bring out the rest of the details. Lastly, teeth with a little yellow clear Tamiya paint before the wire wrapping.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back