Dremels – I'm lost, need your help

Yonih

Hey all,

This might be a very stupid question but believe me, I've spent too long looking all over the internet for an answer and tried avoiding to post here but I seriously have no idea what I'm doing wrong.

As can be seen in the following YouTube movie, the item being used is a Dremel is it not? If you answered "Yes, that's a dremel" then I'm much morr happier and don't have to shoot myself tonight.

I've been looking to buy different size dremels but when looking online I only came up with electronic held dremels.. I just want the simple ones as seen in the video..

What is the item called?
And does anyone know where can I buy them in Australia (Gold Coast, Queensland)? Rough estimate of price?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3452BAnCt0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Thank you!

That's called a chisel. It's not a Dremel. A Dremel is an electric motor tool. A chisel is a metal edged tool for wood working.

Dremel
dremel500.jpg

chisels
ebtnb_chisels.jpg

As a beginner (buying a used scroll saw) should I buy a 10 pack chisels or just a few? I've looked on eBay at they are a bit expensive.. 100$ area plus... And of course there's the cheap ones for 10..I've attached a photo of th cheap ones, are they any good?

I thought they should all be U shaped too.. Arent they? Though it makes sense to have just flat ones too.

Those cheap chisels you have linked are next to useless. Curve chisels are used for scrollwork and relief. They can be very expensive, but you can always pick up used versions for buttons on ebay. What is it you intend to use them for btw?

Get a decent set if you are serious about doing relief carving. Those cheap ones will be more of a nightmare than anything else. Useless as Blue2k said, I myself have a set of Marples gouges that my Father bought for me maybe 10 years ago and im still using them. A really good set of Chisels, including both curved and flat chisels. If you buy a good set now they will last a lifetime and more.

Wow really... Yeah turns out buying the cheap (and most probably ****) stuff off of eBay is never a wise choice.

My grand projects are Borderlands weapons but to get the practice running a bit before that I thought Ill just do different scroll saw patterns once I get my scroll saw.

Cheers, keep the help coming, its helping :)

Edit; Looking at prices on Ebay, it looks like there are quite a bit of decent dremels (some Dremel brand, some others) for a better price than the chisels.. Should I just go for a dremel then?

Last edited:
Edit; Looking at prices on Ebay, it looks like there are quite a bit of decent dremels (some Dremel brand, some others) for a better price than the chisels.. Should I just go for a dremel then?

Search around the forum for different Dremel threads. Now days the "Dremel brand" is crappy made. I have one thats 10 years old and its good but the new ones seems to burn out quickly.
Here is one of the thread to get you started :
http://www.therpf.com/f9/burned-my-5th-dremel-4000-a-150986/

Thanks for that :) Yeah looks like Proxxon is the best choice.. Really comes well recommended.. Unlike the Dremels which they all say (the new ones, not old ones) just drops dead fairly fast..

I am a bit confused though.. Like I said, I want to do mostly weapons (rifles, hand guns etc) so do I need a Rotary tool or a Precision Drill/Grinder?

Attached links:

Proxxon Rotary tool
Proxxon Rotary Tool MICROMOT 50/EF #28512 - My Tool Store

Proxxon Precision
Proxxon MICROMOT Precision Drill/Grinder FBS 12/E#28462 - My Tool Store

I guess Ill be using it along with a Scroll Saw which Im hoping to get in the next couple of days (but it looks like some of these tools are good enough not to replace a scroll saw but can deal pretty good and close results, or am I wrong?) and will create weapons so there's engraving and making different levels on the same plank of wood..

Thank you all, Im getting so much info here. Love it

Edit; I've been looking at this item..
http://www.mytoolstore.com.au/products/Precision-Drill{47}Grinder-FBS-240{47}E..html

So from what I understand, when it comes to Precision tools vs Rotary tools Rotary tools "include" Precision tools as well but maybe just not as much precise but rotary tools can do the same and even more?

Last edited:
If you plan on making weapons out of wood, then you probably don't need dremels or anything "precision". Wood is quite a forgiving material. You can use a basic set of carpenters tools to measure, cut and shape them. Just make sure you have a tape measure, marking guage, angle and depth gauge, protractor, ruler, sliding bevel, files and rasps, coping saw, tenon saw, regular saw, mitre saw, clamps, chisels, mallet, vice, drill (drill press optional) screwdrivers, wood glue, workbench etc. It depends on what you are going to be making tbh. You will not need all those tools at once.

Hey Blue thanks for the help but I'll be honest and say that I'm looking forward on getting one of those tools anyway.. Been my bday and Christmas (the misses celebrates it and I get the presents) so I can treat myself for something.. I'm looking for one of the two (once I get a clarification on the difference) for the price of 80–120$...

So once again a clarification on the differences would be helpful

Edit
This is what I'm looking at atm
http://www.mytoolstore.com.au/products/Precision-Drill{47}Grinder-FBS-240{47}E..html

Last edited:
That does not seem to be a bad dremel type tool at all Yonih. It has a variable speed setting, which is a bit important. It can also be fitted with a foot pedal accessory (which can be useful). The bits you get with it seem to be a combination of drill augers, cutting discs, sanders and polishers? Not a bad selection to start off with. However, I suspect you will need replacement cutting wheels quite soon. They are quite fragile.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back