Dredd 2012 Lawgiver II functional build

Thanks man. Yeah, I did think about it for a while early on. I didn't think of seeing what MikroE had, I looked at the EasyVR from VeeAr. Identical form factor, but almost twice the price. I suspect either would be hit and miss IRL, so I decided not to go for it.

I may pick up one of those SpeakUp Clicks though, to experiment for future builds.

So after a bit of weathering and dry-brushing, I turned to the last bit of outstanding business.

On the hero weapons, the slide cover has a couple of rivets/domed fixings that would appear to be holding the grips in place.
Screenshot 2019-01-24 at 14.36.47.png

These were left as empty sockets on the models I used as my base, so I always wanted to make or find some suitable elements to go in them.
IMG_1652.png

The sockets are 7mm diameter and I found some nickel plated upholstery nails with an 8mm head that I could adapt. Chucked in my hand drill, lathed against a medium file, they took a fair while to turn down, but glued in place with a bit of black acrylic paint to tone them down they look the part...
IMG_1653.png

Tip on soldering FPC connectors: (Or at least how I do it)
1) Apply leaded solder all the pins, don't worry about shorting two pins. (lead-free is too high temp for hand soldering these tiny pads)
2) Then using solder wick wrapped across the tip of your soldering iron: Dab up solder from any shorted pins.
3) Inspect under a microscope or magnifying glass for any other shorts.
This technique has allowed me to solder many FPC and other tiny connectors without issue.

This is amazing. I am working on my own Lawgiver and this is totally inspirational!

Sorry if its been posted earlier in the thread but are you planning on selling a kit for the electronics or posting the program to build our own?

Zaps tip for FPC is perfect. but get yourself some flux too, helps mopping up the excess solder, also makes the soldering flow much easier

Hi! Just found this thread after having another go at my attempt that I walked away from in a tantrum about 2years ago...
Great to see another UK maker as well!

My aim was an arduino pro mini, controlling the LCD below, a DFPlayer Mini for sound effects, and a Geeetech voice recognition module.
It will be a tight squeeze but with some major remodelling of the inner frame it should all fit.
The LCD looks to be the same as yours but with a big interface PCB. Mine is configured for I2C instead of SPI but I may change this for speed.

Can I ask what libraries you are using please? I have the Adafruit GFX and SSD1305 libraries but am having issues with it not writing the last 4 collumns of pixels etc.

Hi! Just found this thread after having another go at my attempt that I walked away from in a tantrum about 2years ago...
Great to see another UK maker as well!

My aim was an arduino pro mini, controlling the LCD below, a DFPlayer Mini for sound effects, and a Geeetech voice recognition module.
It will be a tight squeeze but with some major remodelling of the inner frame it should all fit.
The LCD looks to be the same as yours but with a big interface PCB. Mine is configured for I2C instead of SPI but I may change this for speed.

Can I ask what libraries you are using please? I have the Adafruit GFX and SSD1305 libraries but am having issues with it not writing the last 4 collumns of pixels etc.

Good to hear you're having a bash too. It'll be interesting to see how the VR module gets on. Yeah the OLED display looks like the broken-out version of mine. Same SSD1305 driver.

I'm assuming with that extensive board count that you're not keeping any active mechanism inside. Obviously my display had to fit between the bezel and the Glock slide, so it was only when I found the bare display that I realised the project would be possible. You may still have a problem getting the breakout board to fit, below the screen bezel. You might be able to design a slot into your fake frame to take the edge connector part I guess, especially if you solder to the back surface, rather than through hole.

BTW, I'd recommend using wire wrap wire for interconnect. It's tiny, solid conductor, but pretty resilient.

SPI is much quicker than I2C, so good call there.

The only display oddities I had were ghosting, etc from lack of power stabilisation during prototyping. The custom SPI boards I made sorted this. By the looks of the breakout you've got it has a little stabilised power circuit on board. My only other idea would be a config issue in the Adafruit_SSD1305.h

Let me know if you want the custom font I created.

This is my messy setup at the moment.
The LCD screen separated very easily from the PCB. I will have to cut down the PCB or make a smaller one like you have.
I have not started integrating the VR yet. I am trying to get the sound effects up and running but I cant seem to run it from the pro mini or get ground loop buzzing depending on how I wire it up.
My hope is to have it still firing. I saw your videos and wish I had saved up for a gas powered glock. Mine is just a cheap springer.

I will reconfigure it for SPI and see if that solves my screen problems. Desoldering SMD resistors! YAY!

Thanks for the tips
JPEG_20200520_151943_252160170584329566.jpg

A truly amazing build, By any chance are you selling any configured boards? I am currently in the muddle of a build with the same files from PR, I have had a few issues where the the rear slide prints fine but then falls apart into individual pieces for some reason. anyway really enjoyed this thread. how is she running now?

Cheers mate. I'll PM you about the boards.

The cosmetic slide cover part was nothing like a good fit for my KSC Glock, so I modelled a new slide end cap for the Glock including a screw hole and a beefed up slide cover that fits the KSC slide better and accepts the screw from the end cap.

Attachments

• IMG_2875.jpeg
    IMG_2875.jpeg
    290.6 KB · Views: 88
Cheers mate. I'll PM you about the boards.

The cosmetic slide cover part was nothing like a good fit for my KSC Glock, so I modelled a new slide end cap for the Glock including a screw hole and a beefed up slide cover that fits the KSC slide better and accepts the screw from the end cap.

[emoji1316] thanks for the pm, this is seriously the best Lawgiver build I have seen!

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back