Dred question!

Tsurabisu

Hey, everyone. I've done some searchin' on here as well as sendin' a few PMs, and come up short. So now I turn to the masses fer help! Heh...

Does anyone know of anyone who makes extra long dreds out of cold foam? I'm talking around 40 inches. I'd need four or five of these beasts. The idea is to give my custom pred kinda a tail look.

Ah, no. I think the longest anyone goes to is 24-25". Some folks dreads don't really start to taper until past half of the length though...it's possible that you could buy a few, and try cutting/gluing them together. Not ideal perhaps, but all I can think of right now.

To follow Hez's idea, where the seam between the glued together dread bodies connect could be hidden by a dread ring, and you'd never know.

I may be setting up a tutorial on how I made my (newer than the avatar picture) dreads, and these could be however long anyone wants.
The short version of how I did it:
-A length of 3/4" or 1" Heat Shrink tubing (shrink ratio of 2:1).
-A pool stick. ($7 at Wal-Mart) --It tapers off nicely like a Dread would.
-Use something to make sure the Heat Shrink Material can be slid off when it is shrunk to the pool stick (I was using large amounts of PAM cooking spray--I think a good mold release spray would be better). Slide as much heat shrink tubing on as u want. Use a heat gun to shrink it down. Slide it off, then put it back on loosely. Melt the end with the heat gun, just enough to make is soft and plyable. Use a pair of plyers and grab the end. Twist it to form the end of the dread (not too much as the rubber can easily split when softened). Let it cool then cut to a piont on the end. To take some of the creasing of the twist away, dip the end in black "PalstiDip." Find some poly stuffing material at a local hobby store (I got mine form an old couch before I threw it away) and stuff the inside of the dread. Use the heat gun to shrink the other end and close off the dread.

Heat shrink tubing material (3/4") is like $3.98 for a 4 foot piece at http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.c...tnumber=082-058
Other sizes are offered.
I plan on trying to make a tutorial with pictures when the rest of my order comes in for the heat shrink tubing I purchased. I finished 20 dreads already and they look great to me. It is the least expensive way I have found yet, as I don't want to use "Backer Rods" or "Soaker Hose" material (what I used in the avatar pic, since it is heavy and very stiff).

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back