Drax's Knives

JOATRASH FX

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Still on my (seemingly endless) quest to make every fun Guardians prop, there are a few that I've held off on because I wasn't sure how to do them with my current work methods. Most specifically, props that have 'organic' shapes and features- that is to say, things that look sculpted.

Making accurate replicas of Drax's knifes would be a challenge, because the shapes are (in practical terms) impossible to replicate perfectly because of their complexity, without casting an original. Still, I was determined to try.

I started tinkering around for a bit and consulted with some world-class 3D sculpting experts at work. An early test I did was using photogrammetry (photos used to automatically generate a 3d model), but it didn't work. Eventually, I fell back on using a variant of an old technique used in video games to add details in models. (I actually started testing it on Gamora's knife from Infinity War, which I'll be getting back to soon.)

Once I had the base structure of the knife modeled, I was able to extract data from images of the actual props and transfer them to the model, preserving the details very closely. Each part of the knife has to be done separately for the method to work.

Now, there were still a lot of things that had to be painstakingly tweaked 'by hand' but after a couple weeks of tweaking and changing, I finally have a print of the grip and hand-guard, with many details preserved from the originals. And the high resolution needed meant that the computer slowed to Molasses-Speed™ and would need to calculate each little change for sometimes minutes at a time.
drax2.jpg

drax4.jpeg

Overall, I'm very pleased with how it's progressing so far. The next thing is to tackle the blade. Since resin is fragile when thin, I'm considering maybe printing it in flexible material, or printing it in hard resin and then casting in rubber. Casting would incur a major cost for only two blades (unless I decide to do many) but printing directly in flexible material runs the risk of warping and creates an issue of how to assemble the parts. (I'll be investing in a laser-cure setup soon, which may take care of the latter problem.)

I'll keep updating here as I go along if there's interest in seeing more.

Quick paint test using a silver primer, then rubbing in some regular artist oil paint into the grooves. (The oil gives a more even spread than a wash would.) Next I will do a second layer with thinned oil paints in the grooves, then layer on more silver.

painted_1.jpeg

Spent a few days on the knife blade. Printed in two pieces:
upload_2019-1-28_14-42-23.png

Holes in the center for a threaded rod to "pin" the halves together. (Totally overkill since the tip of the blade is the most fragile part, but still...)
upload_2019-1-28_14-43-21.png

I made the resolution so high that the final tweaks, which normally would have taken an hour, took about ten! BUT it allowed me to replicate the texture from the acid etching of the originals in the recesses (the 'bumpy' texture)...
upload_2019-1-28_14-44-48.png

Glued with JB Weld Plastic Bonder and sanded smooth, it's ready for primer and gloss basecoat.
upload_2019-1-28_14-47-11.png

I'm toying with the idea of maybe printing the blade in rubber. (It would work if I could use a laser to 'weld' the parts together afterward.)

Blade and handguard have been coated with Alclad II. I use a special technique to make it look more realistic and less like plastichrome. The standard Alclad method involves spraying with gloss black base before you apply it, but if you experiment with gloss and semi-gloss, and do light scratching with sandpaper before adding the Alclad, you create different regions of reflectivity which makes it look more like stained and worn metal that has oxidation on the surface. Combined with later states of weathering, it usually looks very realistic.

Here is the blade after applying Alclad:
upload_2019-1-31_10-13-4.png

upload_2019-1-31_10-13-28.png

Next up is adding some weathering and filling in the etchings. (I'm also running a test print of the blade in rubberized resin... we'll see how that goes!)

Dang! Looking really good so far. Nice job.
Thanks!

One good thing about being stuck indoors because you have to look after a cat with stitches (and there's a ton of snow outside) is that you have time to work on stuff.

More Alclad and filling in the etching. Going to redo the handguard paint as I want something inbetween the two. (Left is too clean, right is too weathered.)

The grip, which is just about finished, now has a layer of Molotov chrome stippled over it to make it look more like cast aluminum.

The rubber blade printed 'OK', but I messed up a couple settings. Need to do some work on it. Will possibly do one with a rubber blade and one with the current resin blade. Might also print the handguard in flexible, because the pointy tip is very thin and delicate.

upload_2019-2-4_12-5-11.png

Here are a couple Star Lord buckles I did at the same time, using the same method. Weathering was done with thinned oil paints:

upload_2019-2-4_12-11-30.png

One thing to note is that all parts above have been clear-coated with water-based polyurethane varnish (make: Vallejo, I think) which does not dull the metal at all! (Note: oils are best added AFTER varnishing so that you don't damage the Alclad. You can do another clear coat once the oils are dry.)

This is awesome! I've wanted to make these daggers for a long time, but am still working on mocking up some vector blueprints. It's really hard to nail down the details just by looking at photos, because like you said, there's no way to replicate these 100% accurately.

If you offer these as a kit, I'd be very interested! Like you, I want to own pretty much every prop from the Guardians films.

This is awesome! I've wanted to make these daggers for a long time, but am still working on mocking up some vector blueprints. It's really hard to nail down the details just by looking at photos, because like you said, there's no way to replicate these 100% accurately.

If you offer these as a kit, I'd be very interested! Like you, I want to own pretty much every prop from the Guardians films.
I'm on a similar quest, haha. It's just taking forever. (I'm currently on my 3rd or 4th set of Star Lord blasters too... and this new set will assemble exactly like the screen used guns.. internal motors and all!. And the 'organic' details of these are one reason why it's taken me so long to get around to them. The most obvious method would be to sculpt them in something like Z-Brush, but I haven't had time to get into that... and even so, capturing the lines exactly would be nigh-on impossible, but using heavily modded photos and 'stamping' out the details onto a shell proved to be a very good way to go about it and I'm going to do the same thing with Gamora's knife, which I've already kinda started on. (And I've actually decided to offer a couple sets of the Drax daggers now that I'm far enough along. Will be putting a thread in the junkyard shortly. They're very demanding on the printer though, since they're long prints.)

And so.. here's the latest update:
I pretty much have one full knife ready to assemble, but for the second, I wanted to experiment a bit. In the last update, I mentioned printing in flexible resin and I've spent the last week or so trying a few things. Printing the handguard in flexible (which basically feels like tire rubber) was a very good idea. The entire blade, maybe not so much. The base of the blade is heavy and with the flex, it would wobble a lot back and forth if you hold the knife sideways. So I'm trying a hybrid, with a resin base and a flexible tip, like so:

upload_2019-2-10_19-59-28.png

upload_2019-2-10_19-59-57.png

The two parts are glued with JB Weld Plastic Bonder, pinned with three pieces of brass tubing in the core. So far it seems like it'll hold. One worry is that if you stress the join too much with the flexible tip, you might start to see the seam if it cracks. But these are not intended for cosplay, only display. For cosplay I'd definitely do a full rubber blade!

I Also toyed with the idea of mixing resins in a small container and curing them with a laser, to bond the to pieces. I've just bought a 250MW wide-beam laser module and will be assembling that into a workable 'flashlight' using a rechargeable battery soon- just gotta model up the tube/handle for it!

I'm on a similar quest, haha. It's just taking forever. (I'm currently on my 3rd or 4th set of Star Lord blasters too... and this new set will assemble exactly like the screen used guns.. internal motors and all!. And the 'organic' details of these are one reason why it's taken me so long to get around to them. The most obvious method would be to sculpt them in something like Z-Brush, but I haven't had time to get into that... and even so, capturing the lines exactly would be nigh-on impossible, but using heavily modded photos and 'stamping' out the details onto a shell proved to be a very good way to go about it and I'm going to do the same thing with Gamora's knife, which I've already kinda started on. (And I've actually decided to offer a couple sets of the Drax daggers now that I'm far enough along. Will be putting a thread in the junkyard shortly. They're very demanding on the printer though, since they're long prints.)

And so.. here's the latest update:
I pretty much have one full knife ready to assemble, but for the second, I wanted to experiment a bit. In the last update, I mentioned printing in flexible resin and I've spent the last week or so trying a few things. Printing the handguard in flexible (which basically feels like tire rubber) was a very good idea. The entire blade, maybe not so much. The base of the blade is heavy and with the flex, it would wobble a lot back and forth if you hold the knife sideways. So I'm trying a hybrid, with a resin base and a flexible tip, like so:

View attachment 988137

View attachment 988138

The two parts are glued with JB Weld Plastic Bonder, pinned with three pieces of brass tubing in the core. So far it seems like it'll hold. One worry is that if you stress the join too much with the flexible tip, you might start to see the seam if it cracks. But these are not intended for cosplay, only display. For cosplay I'd definitely do a full rubber blade!

I Also toyed with the idea of mixing resins in a small container and curing them with a laser, to bond the to pieces. I've just bought a 250MW wide-beam laser module and will be assembling that into a workable 'flashlight' using a rechargeable battery soon- just gotta model up the tube/handle for it!

Ooh can't wait to see the next version of your Star-Lord blasters - your previous versions are super impressive. Those are my favorite Guardians props (minus his helmet of course). I've got a 3D printed pair that I'm working on, but am already thinking about getting another at a smaller scale once I've completed them. The quest never ends haha.

I've been toying with the idea of scratch building Drax's daggers using the vector blueprints I'm drawing up. I was going to sculpt the the hilt by hand, and maybe get the blade and cross guard detail laser printed since it's so delicate and would be difficult to cut out by hand. The nice thing is both daggers are exactly the same, so you just have to make one, mold it, and then pull 2 casts. Looking forward to seeing more of your progress! Your work is always inspiring.

The nice thing is both daggers are exactly the same, so you just have to make one, mold it, and then pull 2 casts. Looking forward to seeing more of your progress! Your work is always inspiring.

Thanks : ) I was thinking of casting as well (especially if I was going to do a run) but I'm concerned about getting material into all the details. Would maybe have to use some kind of injection casting method or the surface tension will stop the urethane from filling out all the areas of the blade.

Speechless ! wait wait freaking freaking awesome man! Thought you said you don't do knives
I usually don't, but this one has been bugging me... so I had to see if I could pull it off...

Great work! I’m blown away at the detail you were able to copy on the handle; Im sure that was no easy task.

Looking forward to seeing where this goes.

Great work! I’m blown away at the detail you were able to copy on the handle; Im sure that was no easy task.

Looking forward to seeing where this goes.
It kind of felt like I was back in the 1990s, where one frame of animation would take an entire day to render. I had so much detail in there, I had to bump the resolution up so high that every mouse click or command entered took 15-30 seconds. When it came time to do things like cut the blade or do certain other edits, I basically had to leave it overnight to do all the calculations. And since one mistake meant going back and losing many hours, I had to plan several steps ahead. I'm glad to have moved onto the hand-finishing stage of things. (But I have to go through it all again with Gamora's Avengers IW knife...)

Been putting in some time here and there on the knives. Almost done with the set. Started making a stand for them too.
upload_2019-4-7_22-58-34.png

upload_2019-4-7_22-59-59.png

I just hope Yondu, Indy (or even Rocket) don't steal 'em before I'm done...

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back