GOTG: Drax Knives (WIP)

Daniel Nelms

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
So since I've been working on so many GOTG builds of late I figured I would try my hand at knife making. Keep in mind I've never done that before and I really don't know the best way to go about it but figured hey, how hard could it be?!

The first thing I did was sketch a rough outline of the blade using a shot of the blades as my guide.
Next I built a quick'n'dirty 3d model and printed a negative mold on my printer.

I hot glued all the pieces to foam board, then hotglued the two halves together and poured in the resin and it is now curing.
NOTE: Pulling the blank destroyed the 3d printed mold even tho I did use a liberal amount of mold release.

My intention is to use this resin cast as a template for crafting the blades overall shape and contours by sanding and shaving. At present I don't have any intention to cast it in metal but I will probably cold cast a couple when I'm done. This should make for an interesting project and is totally new to me so if you are interested fallow along and please comment/share your ideas and experiences if you have ever done this as I can always use advise.

One side of the 3d printed mold:

IMG_2772.JPG

After pulling the first (and only) cast from it. I want to let it fully cure before I go to work on it.

IMG_2773.JPG

Subscribed! Drax is a costume I'd love to do at some point, but I haven't even started thinking about how to tackle the knives so I will be watching this with interest!

Well I managed to crack the resin blade when I pulled it, it was quite difficult to pull from a abs mold.
I glued it together and make a quick mold using some brush on silicon before I went home yesterday and let that setup overnight.

IMG_2774.JPG

This morning I after the mold had set I mixed up some smooth cast 325 with equal parts of urefil micro beads to give the resin some elasticity and cast blank blade from that.
I let it cure for a few hours and then started to sand a little bit. Keep in mind it wont be fully cured until tomorrow but I just couldn't want.
The filler helped but boy what a mess!

IMG_2782.JPG

Now I have the rough shape and a start on tapering the blade. The blade is pretty floppy at this point so I am going to let it sit over night before I attempt to do anything else to it.

IMG_2783.JPG
IMG_2784.JPG

For reference this is what i have in mind for the pattern on the blade, my guess is that this should be on both sides.

blades.jpg

I've done some more sanding to get the shape I want and etched in the pattern with my dremel.

Marked the pattern with a sharpy:
IMG_2786.JPG

Etched the pattern in to the blade:
IMG_2787.JPG

More sanding this time with wet sand paper:
IMG_2788.JPG

image.jpg

I put put on a little rub n buff which brings out the little flaws that I need to fix. I think it's looking OK so far.

Well I am pretty much done with the blade now. I used some bondo glazing putty to fill in the tiny pin holes. After that cured I sanded it smooth and gave both sides of the blade a clear coat.

I've asked IronManiac to help with the handle. Once that's done I'll make a mold and bang out a few cold cast copies.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back