Dragonball Z Scouter Build

theP13RC3

This is my first official build on the RPF. When my brother said he wanted to dress up as a Saiyan for Halloween this year (with 5 days notice), I decided to help him out.

First attempt, done in Solidworks:
298680_2568425493449_1338545355_32881681_1176403265_n.jpg

An Elaboration on the First Design:
300896_2568425133440_1338545355_32881680_830191903_n.jpg

And the Final Design:
392559_2568425573451_1338545355_32881682_1168549814_n.jpg

Oh, and tomorrow I'll take pictures of the finished product. It's pepakura (tried it with sheet metal... Bad idea!), and it has blue plexiglass for the lens. I haven't fiberglassed or finished it yet, so it's kinda rough. But it's not a bad start. Let me know what you guys think!

Looks pretty cool!

How'd ya get it to stay on his head?

Did you add the little glyphs on the scouter lens?

Chris

Thanks Chris!
As for how to keep it on, I kinda copied Blind Squirrel Props' idea for an ear hook. You can take a look at Blind Squirrel Props: Dragon Ball Z Scouter

And no glyphs, but I may etch some in if I make another, which I probably will.

And here are a couple pics from 2 hours before my brother had to wear it!
Still very rough and totally unfinished:
308117_2573347376493_1338545355_32885583_315545611_n.jpg

308117_2573347456495_1338545355_32885584_54153531_n.jpg

Last edited:
Pics aren't showing in the post.. Might wanna try a host like imgur.

No idea BS did a scouter build, damn I gotta keep up with that mans blog. Crazy amounts of talent!

On the glyphs, you might wanna see if the next one you get done can be laser engraved. A guy did a kryptonite key from smallville with the engravings, and loaded em with titanium white paint, and it looked terrific.

Chris

Pics aren't showing in the post.. Might wanna try a host like imgur.

On the glyphs, you might wanna see if the next one you get done can be laser engraved. A guy did a kryptonite key from smallville with the engravings, and loaded em with titanium white paint, and it looked terrific.

Chris
I just put my photos on my facebook, so hopefully the pictures are going to show up now.

As for the etchings, I was actually thinking exactly that. I need to look into it though, cause I'm working with plexiglass and I'm not sure if anyone etches it.
Do you know where I could go?

its awesome :)

one thing tho, the scouters dont have a clear visor :)
its either green or red ;)

Nice catch EyeofSauron! I couldn't figure out how to do a transparent colored part in Solidworks, so I just went with clear for the render.

The real one has a nice blue lens like Nappa's!

And thanks for all the compliments guys! I'm just hoping I can get the final product to look as good as the Solidworks render!

Let me know if you guys have any other suggestions on how to improve the design!

I had a friend who "etched" his glass coffee table. He taped off the design on the back of it and misted it with grey primer. peel off the tape and voi la what appeared to be a nice etched design. You might could do something similar here, although the size may make it difficult. just tape over all of it and cut the glyphs out with an exacto, plus if they aren't perfect glyphs no one will be able to tell they just need to be random designs :)

oh man, that's so cool. And even though I hate dubs, I want to get one a few and just randomly scream "IT'S OVER 9000!!!!" and crush it in my fist.

Ahh I knew someone would beat me to this! Been wanting to make one for a long time. Looks great so far. Are there more pep files out there for different designs?

If you want a cheap and easy way to get the scouter readings on there, you could always go for a water slide decal. Applied right, doesn't even look a decal. Let me know, I could print out some for you if you can't find an etcher. Just pay for the stamp on the envelope. :thumbsup

I had a friend who "etched" his glass coffee table. He taped off the design on the back of it and misted it with grey primer. peel off the tape and voi la what appeared to be a nice etched design.

If you want a cheap and easy way to get the scouter readings on there, you could always go for a water slide decal. Applied right, doesn't even look a decal. Let me know, I could print out some for you if you can't find an etcher. Just pay for the stamp on the envelope.

Very interesting ideas. I'll probably try both methods because I plan on making at least a couple more of these, just for fine-tuning.

I'm definitely going to have to take you up on that offer at some point epilepticsquirl. It'd be awesome to use decals if I can learn how to make them turn out well!

Ahh I knew someone would beat me to this! Been wanting to make one for a long time. Looks great so far. Are there more pep files out there for different designs?

There aren't any more pep files that I know of... yet. I made this one myself in solidworks, and if people are interested I could go into making more!:)

Also, that's awesome EyeofSauron! That's definitely going to be part of my halloween next year!:thumbsup

And, to make a long post longer, I have a couple pictures of the scouter as it look right now!

380971_2576178527270_1338545355_32887426_97062879_n.jpg

380971_2576178487269_1338545355_32887425_235035709_n.jpg

Still nowhere near done, but good enough for a 16 year old's halloween. What do you guys think?

Last edited:
This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back