DOOM Game (2016)

Watch the campaign trailer as well. This really captures the original doom look and feel... Old school doom bad guys...

Looks pretty fun. We'll see.

I hope Bethesda did better with it than Fallout 4. They seem to be doing good with the old school stuff as Wolfenstein: New Order was pretty good.

I have my doubts that current designers are even capable of understanding the concept that simple can be beautiful.

What made Doom such a success even among non gamers was its simplicity: you needed to know nothing. Pick up weapon. Point at bad guys, kill bad guys. Find more bad guys.

Yeah, but all of these games are way too focused on multiplayer these days. I hate multiplayer. I never play it. I want a good single player campaign. I have no interest in multiplayer at all,

I have my doubts that current designers are even capable of understanding the concept that simple can be beautiful.

What made Doom such a success even among non gamers was its simplicity: you needed to know nothing. Pick up weapon. Point at bad guys, kill bad guys. Find more bad guys.

Don't forget the keys ;)

To be fair I'm kind of a old grouch in that what I really want is for someone to update all the old games: new graphics, new sound... And leave the actual gameplay just the way it was.

Not sure how well that would sell really... Although they would get my money for sure.

Games like Tie Fighter, Duke Nukem, and yes Doom (1 and 2... And Wolfenstein).

Exactly. Sometimes a game over complicates itself to the point thats its not fun to play anymore.

What made the original Doom's gameplay was that there were hordes of enemies.. and the enemies were simple.
You navigated a maze where there could be a new enemy around each corner - and that more than the Hell-theme is what provided horror and pumped up the adrenaline. It had non-stop action.
Without having a maze, it is not Doom. Without the enemies being simple, it is not Doom.

By the way, it was also very much inspired by the movie Army of Darkness. The game captured a bit of the feel of that movie: it was horror, it was ultra-violence - but it also did not take itself too seriously.

Last edited:
I'm personally looking forward to it. It's looking allot
like the good old RUN AND GUN of the old DOOM and
I'm PERFECTLY fine with that.. I won't even touch Online
as all I care about is turning it on, lock and load and goin' HUNTIN' !

Yeah,I'm kinda' looking to get my old school feels back.. ;)

To be fair I'm kind of a old grouch in that what I really want is for someone to update all the old games: new graphics, new sound... And leave the actual gameplay just the way it was.

Not sure how well that would sell really... Although they would get my money for sure.

Games like Tie Fighter, Duke Nukem, and yes Doom (1 and 2... And Wolfenstein).

Well, to be fair, there were two recent Wolfenstein games, and a recent Duke Nukem game, and they didn't do all that amazingly. I played Wolfeinstein: The Old Blood and found it kinda...I dunno...basic and dull. The last id game I played was RAGE, and it was....meh. Nothing special Pretty, but you're still basically just playing a corridor shooter. Again, fairly dull.

The Larry Holland X-wing/Tie Fighter series is a whole other kettle of fish. The real problem there is that you'd have to make them work with gamepads or mouse + keyboard, and flight combat sims just...don't work that well without a joystick and keyboard combo. But nobody's buying joysticks these days.

See, I think we think that "simple is beautiful." But I've played modern simple games, and they aren't all that entertaining. The last genuinely good, straightforward "Kill everything that moves" game I played was Shadow Warrior (2013). It was GREAT...for the roughly $20 I paid for it. It would've been worth, oh, maybe $30-40 by my measure. Beyond that? Forget it. Fun game, but not THAT fun. Even then, that game had character progression, weapon development, etc. It was hardly basic. IT wasn't just "Grab gun, shoot dudes." I honestly don't think such a basic game would be that well received -- even by fans of the old school shooters. If you want that, give the remake of Rise of the Triad a whirl. It's...pretty...meh, really.

What made the original Doom's gameplay was that there were hordes of enemies.. and the enemies were simple.
You navigated a maze where there could be a new enemy around each corner - and that more than the Hell-theme is what provided horror and pumped up the adrenaline. It had non-stop action.
Without having a maze, it is not Doom. Without the enemies being simple, it is not Doom.

By the way, it was also very much inspired by the movie Army of Darkness. The game captured a bit of the feel of that movie: it was horror, it was ultra-violence - but it also did not take itself too seriously.

What made DOOM so good was that we hadn't seen anything like it before, and it was incredibly atmospheric at the time. There'd been Wolfenstein 3D (and Blake Stone), but DOOM was the first game that wasn't based on square block map design, and where you had different levels (e.g., stairs, elevators, etc.) instead of playing on a single 3D plane. DOOM had surprising gore, too, for its time, which was unlike what we'd seen up to that point. And it had multiplayer (albeit just deathmatch over modems, which sucked).

DOOM was a major leap forward in game design. It was, in my opinion, then leapfrogged by Dark Forces, which did even more to evolve game design. But if you go back and play those games today? Just stop and think about how incredibly basic the gameplay is, and how dull it would get once the nostalgia+novelty aspect of a remake wore off.

I honestly don't think the new game will be anything special. I think it'll be a throwback just like all of iD/Zenimax's shooters have been, and it'll feel like you've already played this game a gajillion times before. All it'll have going for it is atmosphere and graphics. And to be honest, there's plenty of that to go around today.

First game to have multiple floors per level was Dark Forces. LA used the Doom engine and modified it big time to do that. Shooting guys 10-15 feet above you, elevators in the same level, etc.

The first doom upped the graphics a good deal and added some sculpting to the walls. You also had steps up/down but usually within a couple feet.

What made DOOM so good was that we hadn't seen anything like it before, and it was incredibly atmospheric at the time. There'd been Wolfenstein 3D (and Blake Stone), but DOOM was the first game that wasn't based on square block map design, and where you had different levels (e.g., stairs, elevators, etc.) instead of playing on a single 3D plane. DOOM had surprising gore, too, for its time, which was unlike what we'd seen up to that point. And it had multiplayer (albeit just deathmatch over modems, which sucked).

DOOM was a major leap forward in game design. It was, in my opinion, then leapfrogged by Dark Forces, which did even more to evolve game design. But if you go back and play those games today? Just stop and think about how incredibly basic the gameplay is, and how dull it would get once the nostalgia+novelty aspect of a remake wore off.
Well that's something everybody understands at some level but doesn't want to admit. There's no way a reboot is going to recreate the experience because a lot of that experience was the novelty of seeing things for the first time.

I remember that part of Dark Forces hiding from that terminator thing - with the ambient mechanical sounds it scared the bejeezus out of me. Other unforgettable experiences was playing Marathon on the Mac - which made great use of darkness and the sense of isolation in space. Marathon was the first real "hard" sci-fi first person game with a great, absorbing plot.

The only real way to recapture that kind of awe today is with new immersive tech such as Oculus Rift. I should receive my Rift later this month.

Last edited:
This Friday through Sunday is DOOM 4 multiplayer beta weekend. And you can already download it. Which I did and took these screenshots:

http://imgur.com/a/tlGna

Tried to find a match and it just said server were unavailable.
So far I love it.......... :p :lol

Yeah....that fits for an ID game.

"It's SO pretty!"

"Yeah! Sure is! How's it play?"

"Eh. It's ok, I guess. .......But it's SO pretty!"

:lol

Forgot about the hype around Doom 3 (long before the actual release)?
It was all about the pretty graphics :p

It's always about the pretty graphics with ID.

I've mentioned it before, but RAGE apparently had these amazing supertextures that, I guess, nobody could actually run on their systems, but that was a selling point of the game. And yet, the gameplay itself? Pretty humdrum. You still end up basically just fighting through "corridors" with the same general mix of weapons you've seen before (a few additions, though, I'll grant you), and it's all just...tedious. Very, very tedious. I got RAGE for $5. I think I got my money's worth...mostly.

Look, basically, IDs games are all throwbacks to the early 1990s when DOOM was revolutionary. You're fighting in a circumscribed map, rather than an open world. You're using weapons taht will feel like "Man, haven't I been using these things in some form or other for, like, 20 years already?" You're gonna get very pretty graphics. It'll be you against the world -- no friendly AI to back you up. And the story will be a barely-tacked-on thing.

I mean, if you want to play a dumb SP game with pretty graphics, you might as well get the latest Call of Battlefields or whatever. At least their stories -- however goofy they may be -- are a real attempt at telling A story. With ID games, they don't even go that far.

But boy, they sure are pretty!

It's always about the pretty graphics with ID.

I've mentioned it before, but RAGE apparently had these amazing supertextures that, I guess, nobody could actually run on their systems, but that was a selling point of the game. And yet, the gameplay itself? Pretty humdrum. You still end up basically just fighting through "corridors" with the same general mix of weapons you've seen before (a few additions, though, I'll grant you), and it's all just...tedious. Very, very tedious. I got RAGE for $5. I think I got my money's worth...mostly.

Look, basically, IDs games are all throwbacks to the early 1990s when DOOM was revolutionary. You're fighting in a circumscribed map, rather than an open world. You're using weapons taht will feel like "Man, haven't I been using these things in some form or other for, like, 20 years already?" You're gonna get very pretty graphics. It'll be you against the world -- no friendly AI to back you up. And the story will be a barely-tacked-on thing.

I mean, if you want to play a dumb SP game with pretty graphics, you might as well get the latest Call of Battlefields or whatever. At least their stories -- however goofy they may be -- are a real attempt at telling A story. With ID games, they don't even go that far.

But boy, they sure are pretty!

Indeed. I still haven't played RAGE. But I do find it funny how ID raged about their megatexture technology and how most developers would adopt it and use it for their games. I have not heard of any other game using that.

The last CoD game I was any impressed with graphics wise was CoD 3 and the grass in it. CoD 4 had bullet holes that looked like they were taken from the original half-life :facepalm the ones that followed have not impressed either.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back