Done / Completed DONE

Re: Sidkit Malcolm Reynolds Gun Firefly TV & Serenity Movie ver. DEFINITIVE LIMITED R

Actually I was just looking at the pics on the front page and although I do see the hammer on the movie version you don't show the Hammer area on the TV version and the Sidkit did not have one so,...

Does the TV version come with a hammer???

Also still wondering about the safety??

Re: Sidkit Malcolm Reynolds Gun Firefly TV & Serenity Movie ver. DEFINITIVE LIMITED R

Actually I was just looking at the pics on the front page and although I do see the hammer on the movie version you don't show the Hammer area on the TV version and the Sidkit did not have one so,...

Does the TV version come with a hammer???

Also still wondering about the safety??

On the original kits, the Sidkit TV version had a hidden "hammer" whereas the movie version has a visible one with the bob on it.

Related: There was a big discussion about that a number of years ago. I believe it was determined that the hero TV prop had a modded visible hammer spur on it, which was later ground down and a bobbed hammer was added during the movie conversion.

Last edited:

On the original kits, the Sidkit TV version had a hidden "hammer" whereas the movie version has a visible one with the bob on it. (On my first model, it broke off due to a weakness in the metal.)

Related: There was a big discussion about that a number of years ago. I believe it was determined that the hero TV prop had a modded visible hammer spur on it, which was later ground down and a bobbed hammer was added during the movie conversion.

Yeah in the pilot you can clearly see a visible hammer.

If the hammer can be added to the TV version, that would be awesome. It's definitely there in the pilot.

Also, any clarification on the type of wood for the grips?

If the hammer can be added to the TV version, that would be awesome. It's definitely there in the pilot.

yup

Screen Shot 2015-07-29 at 4.15.45 PM.png

This is how I want my Mal to look with maybe a little more Brass coming through, and below is kind of what I want to do with the mages and I will use magnets for them to be removeable.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4095/4771082755_ee7ec4ee3f_b.jpg

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa160/pennausamike/MalPistol07JPEG.jpg
That's is just perfect there....WOW...love the color texture....was this made of pewter as well ????

To be honest, I don't think the screen used gun had the brown coating, I think it was the black coating. That's why if prefer mine to be plain brass plated with no brown.

The finish on the picture jameth1971 posted is perfect...I want mine to look like that too....!!!!!

Wood of grips will be American Walnut ;)

Keep in mind the shape of the 47's frame is way off. The grip curves downward too far back, which causes the hand to sit a quarter inch further from the trigger than it should. For a display prop it's whatever, but if it were a functional gun you'd probably shoot yourself in the foot.

Last edited:

I can post a picture later showing the difference between the cast off screen used Phillipes gun and the one I was building using a pair of grips leftover from the 47a run. For now, here's a mockup using artwork I created for both sets of grips.

The background gun is the art I drew to make my own gun, which I had to model around the 47a grips I bought. The blue grip on top is the screen accurate grip shape, taken from the cast off screen used resin gun offered by Phillipes way back. The 47a frame makes your hand sit further back, and as a result your finger has to stretch uncomfortably to reach the trigger. When I get to work tomorrow, I can take a picture of each gun in my hand to illustrate better.

That being said, the Sidkit appears to have the accurate grip shape, so it's a mute point.

Ah ok! Perfect in that way :D

To be honest, I don't think the screen used gun had the brown coating, I think it was the black coating. That's why if prefer mine to be plain brass plated with no brown.
That really sounds like a wonderful idea , what would you do then , airbrush certain areas .....or leave it plain brass....??? I do like the concept of just brass , but I do like the aged darker look as well, tough to decide , before these get coated !!!

Here's a very old photo of a few of the Mal pistols I've owned. (I've had all of the "close to accurate" models that have been available throughout the years. Top is the first QMx model (cast from a stunt mold), next Sidkit's Serenity and Firefly versions (both painted with gold clear-candy auto lacquer which is a great way to tone metal if you can't plate it), then the original 47 (significant differences to the 47a and much more rare) and finally Phil's casting. I've also had the 47a, which had much better brass castings than the 47 but somehow felt less like a "real" pistol for some reason.

mals.jpg

Nice pics JOATRASH FX and jameth1971. Sarednab, I guess the standards have been set rather high, here ;-). I'd say: take your time trying to beat that! But I'm sure you'll come up with great guns!

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back