DONE! TOS BSG - Laser Turrets Replica

t2sides

Master Member
7/1/12 - Model is finally completed. Check out Post #29
http://www.therpf.com/f10/done-tos-bsg-laser-turrets-replica-143826/index2.html#post2337537

Been a while since I've dropped in here, some amazing things going on!!

Well, a few weeks ago it dawned on me I had all these Leopold kits sitting around doing nothing in the boxes. So, I just had to put them to good use. (It only took 13 kits!):facepalm Not a lot of reference to go off of (except endless hours of screen shots and long, long pauses on the DVD). Certainly used a fair amount of artistic interpretation along the way, but for the most part, the cannons and walls are pretty close as far as I could reference, but I did have some of my own fun with them. All the main assemblies (walls/floor/ceiling/main cannon) are just standing in place for these pics. After they get primer and paint and a few more small bits and channels, then the assembly will go together.

Both guns rotate, the lower one is on a small lazy susan, the upper one moves both up and down side to side. This is a terribly fun and quick project if you like a good distraction.

-Sean

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: TOS BSG - Laser Turrets Replica

Sean's display hangar has ample room for this... it's staggeringly swanky ;)

Thanks guys! Yeah Jason, I took some queue's from your swankiness!

It may be fun and quick, but it's not exactly small, is it? :rolleyes

Gene

Ha! That's true. It's about 44" in width (I estimated the original was 48", so I shaved off some of the 'right' side for this.

I'm sure most everyone has seen these, but here's a couple of the stock Apogee photo's of it and where I'm going....

-Sean

Wow Sean, that is just amazing work, mate! How the hell you ID'd all those greeblies I'll never know. Just spectacular and a cool addition to your Galactica collection. Now I'm about six major builds behind you....:(

I'd like to build that lower turret and ring surround sometime. No room for the entire diorama!

Mike

........I'd like to build that lower turret and ring surround sometime. No room for the entire diorama!........

Kit it! Kit it! Kit it! Kit it! Kit it! Kit it! Kit it! Kit it! Kit it! Kit it! Kit it! Kit it! Come on, everybody chant - Kit it! Kit it! Kit it! Kit it! Kit it! Kit it! Kit it! Kit it! Kit it! Kit it! Kit it! Kit it!............

:rolleyes

Gene

I don't venture into the SS scale builds too often and I don't know the players or the culture.

Does USING all those original parts make you the devil in your world, or is that the expected usage?

Why not cast up each part needing replicating for multiples? Or is that the sin?

Which is more cost effective?

Just kind of curious. Each of the "subcultures" here have their own quirks.

"Does USING all those original parts make you the devil in your world,"

No. It just an expression of our madness.:lol

If a kit is rare, making casts of the parts is usually the way to go. If you can afford buying multiples of a kit that is still being made, then go for it.

It really is no different than someone wanting to use all original parts to make an Obi Wan ANH saber or Han's blaster.

Or, it's simply a practical matter of whether the time/cost of using actual kit parts is less than the time/cost of making castings. Resin casting takes materials and time and that costs money as well. In the case of the railgun kits, there are lots of tiny bits that may be impractical to cast or would be too much trouble. Sometimes it's just quicker and easier to cut the parts off the sprue and glue them on.

BTW, that is looking fantastic Sean as always. Of course, what else did we expect? LOL :)

I don't venture into the SS scale builds too often and I don't know the players or the culture.

Does USING all those original parts make you the devil in your world, or is that the expected usage?

Why not cast up each part needing replicating for multiples? Or is that the sin?

Which is more cost effective?

Just kind of curious. Each of the "subcultures" here have their own quirks.

To give you an idea, the entire spend on model kits for bashing by the ILM guy's for Star Wars was $2,900. I reckon I'm nearly at that just in original vintage kits for the Turbo Laser. The ILM guys used cast parts on most models in some way. Even they weren't as CRAZY as some of us.

The entire spend on model kits for bashing by the ILM guy's for Star Wars was $2,900.

Considering inflation since 1976, that would be at least four times the amount today.

Anyway, still an amazingly little number!

Kit it! Kit it! Kit it! Kit it! Kit it! Kit it! Kit it! Kit it! Kit it! Kit it! Kit it! Kit it! Come on, everybody chant - Kit it! Kit it! Kit it! Kit it! Kit it! Kit it! Kit it! Kit it! Kit it! Kit it! Kit it! Kit it!............

:rolleyes

Gene

Thanks for bringing that to our attention Gene. I think you are the perfect man for the job!:cool

Mike

Thanks for bringing that to our attention Gene. I think you are the perfect man for the job!:cool

Mike

Ha! I've been involved on these boards for TOO long to take that bait! If I ever say I'm gonna get into the kit business, someone smack me.

Given that..... again, someone should kit this........ :rolleyes

Gene

Here's a few updates of the model in the base color. Next I'll flatten it down, then move on to weathering and darkening here and there, along with the red stripe. You can clearly see a rusty/orange finish on some of the screen grabs in certain areas. I'll look into adding that, but don't want it to look too cartoonish.

Thanks for the feedback so far! Micdavis, good to see you here!!

Regarding using kits vs. casts, Charles pretty much nailed it. I already had all these kits on hand from the SS Galactica and rag tags replicas, so why not put them to use? No need to go through the effort to mold and cast. Besides, personally I like to use as many real kit parts as possible in my builds. I don't mind the extra cost for kits sometimes, it just 'feels' better.

Mike, I wish I could say I've ID'd 'all' the right parts, but I didn't. However, I think on the gun turrets, I got pretty close. But a lot of the base is definitely just artistic license.

Did someone say KIT?? Hmmmmmm.:love

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back