Question Donations/payment for more features

Garthok

Sr Member
I know there has been talk of this in the past, but are we any closer to having some kind of subscription option where you can get some extra features? I just want more PM space, I am constantly juggling things around trying to keep my PM box from filling. I would be happy to help support the site and get a bit more PM space.

We are closer than you think! We had hoped to have it in place by Oct 1, but due to a few setbacks, it is looking more like it will be around the end of the month. Triple sized inboxes will be one of the features.

We just want to test a few more things to make sure this thing works correctly. People have been asking for something like this for years so I hope a lot of people will enjoy it!

Art...will we get nifty "Supporting Member" icons under our screen names?

Probably this one... ;)

s18970premium-memberg103.png

Ya know... the 'Ignore' feature is great but it chops up threads making them impossible to follow and does nothing for blocking their quotes in others posts. Still it's better than nothing.

What I would like is a way to 'Ignore' whole threads. Certain threads that are popular with only select groups but that I have absolutely no interest in would be my target for this feature. It would also allow threads I am interested to be further up on the pile. Just thinking out loud here.

Hey guys, I got the answer I was looking for. I didn't really want to open a debate about what the features are.. I just want more PM space.

The whole supporting member scenario has been hashed out before, and so has the wish list of features. If you want to ask about the new features or even suggest a few, feel free to start a thread.

But with what Art said about the 1st of October roll out they had hoped for, the mods have a list of features they must be happy with, so we may as well wait for the announcement.

I for one cringe when a change is announced, I don't like change. But then a week later, I inevitably end up very happy with the new features.

I think the vast majority will be happy with it... they have been asking for it for years. I am sure there will be some who will find something to be unhappy about, but our goal is to focus on the needs of the many and that is what the Premium Membership will address.

Look for something near the end of Oct/early Nov.

I'm looking forward to a few 'paid perks' but... like Kev mentioned... it would suck if something that is currently free would suddenly move to the Premium accounts.

More PM storage space is at the top of my wants list. Depending on the cost, that would be worth the cost alone.

I'm looking forward to a few 'paid perks' but... like Kev mentioned... it would suck if something that is currently free would suddenly move to the Premium accounts.

More PM storage space is at the top of my wants list. Depending on the cost, that would be worth the cost alone.

We will have more info soon... and, again, while I am sure there will be someone who will find something not to be happy about, our goal is to serve the membership and provide them with the things they want, so I think most people will be very happy about what we have laid out.

This ain't Facebook. :lol

Art...will we get nifty "Supporting Member" icons under our screen names?

I stated this before but it bears repeating since this subject has come up again….

For the RPF, having an icon under a user's name stating who is a supporter and who is not is asking for a lot of headaches for the staff.

I guarantee infighting would occur due to members here weighing the validity of another member’s posts based on them being a "paying member" or not.

I am part of several boards that do have premium services available. And I do contribute cash to some of them. Some of these boards do have some type of icon showing they pay dues. But the members handle it…well….differently.

No posturing ever gets in the way between those that pay for premium service and those that don’t when the need arises during a heated debate.

In all fairness, I guess that is because there are hardly any heated debates in the other forums I frequent.

Here however….colorful threads are a plenty and give more opportunity for posturing.

So if you have seen the premium icon work at other forums, keep in mind those forums are not the RPF.

As far as offering the service to begin with….whatever you feel will work, Art. It is your forum and I know you are constantly looking at new revenue sources to support it in general and the new services you want to offer.

I just hope the premium services do not extend to the junkyard. Especially since I was planning to sell some stuff soon! :lol

Last edited by a moderator:
I guarantee infighting would occur due to members here weighing the validity of another member’s posts based on them being a "paying member" or not.

I am sure sooner or later someone will throw out "I am a premium member and you aren't" but that will simply be an indicator of someone who has run out of rational reasons to support their argument. It is not a reason for us to back away from providing members with something they have been requesting for years.

Here however….colorful threads are a plenty and give more opportunity for posturing.

While I understand and appreciate the concern you are voicing, I feel this is the absolute worst kind of reasoning for not moving forward because it is based in fear and panders to the lowest common denominator. While we, of course, take the vibe of the community into consideration when making these decisions, we never want to make changes based on how a minority might misuse something or might take issue with something. If Premium Membership were something exclusive that not everyone could have, I would be more willing to agree with you, but it will be something available to any active member who wants it.

So if you have seen the premium icon work at other forums, keep in mind those forums are not the RPF.

We aren't implementing this because of the success or failure anywhere else. We are implementing it because there are a number of things people have asked for over the years and we have been able to pretty easily package them together in a way that allows the people who want those features to have them and also helps support the site.

As far as offering the service to begin with….whatever you feel will work, Art. It is your forum and I know you are constantly looking at new revenue sources to support it in general and the new services you want to offer.

As the cost of running the site continues to increase with the continual increase of traffic and services (our operational costs have increased by a factor of 10 in the past two years), we are definitely always open to new revenue steams and always looking to diversify those revenue streams so that if one ever were to end, it wouldn't put the site in financial jeopardy. I know no one ever likes to talk or think about the money side of the site, but the bills don't pay themselves and there is as much responsibility on that side (if not more) as there is on the moderating side.

I am super excited about the Premium Membership program because I think it marks the beginning of a change in our approach to a number of things and I excited about the benefits that will bring to the community.

Last edited:
Thanks for the clarification, Art. Good points all around. :)

However...I did notice you did not comment on the junkyard becoming a premium service. ;)

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back