Does Darth Vader’s Costume Look “Dated”??

To me it would only look dated if it had parts that are old fashion. If it had vacuum tubes on it for example. The push buttons dont date it to me
Agreed….perhaps an 8 Track Player in his chest box would be more jarring than his Fry’s Electronics project boxes, etc….

9D99C6ED-70D2-43A9-BC98-227882A196EC.jpeg

Something else to consider: things look dated only if they stop being used (like vacuum tubes). Some things that haven't been updated in a long time still look contemporary, e.g. the Colt 1911 which is 111 years old, or McDonald's Golden Arches, which are 54 years old.

Vader doesn't suffer from lack of exposure, so it's hard for him to date too badly.
Exactly this.

It is possible to modernize an Iconic design without destroying it. I'm a Doctor Who fan. I think the new series did a good job updating the Daleks and Cyberman (under Russel T. Davies). So it's definitely possible to update the design without ruining the legacy... if done by talented people. The problem is those people are few and far between at Disney.

Just compare the wildly imaginative and memorable alien and ship designs of the six Lucas films with the generic aliens and boxy ships of the Disney movies (at least those that aren't just repaints or riffs on old designs), and the contrast is striking.

Darth Emo/Kylo Ben is probably not too far off from what we'd have gotten if those designers were asked to modernize Vader's suit.

The details of Vaders design seem to be somewhat timeless - although it's impossible for me to look at him with fresh eyes. I love seeing how his silhouette is reinterpreted though as there are a lot of liberties taken in comics/games/etc. This cover for 'The rise of Kylo Ren' comic series (art by Clayton Crain) immediately caught my eye when I first saw it. I love his reimagining of the lines and shape of the helmet while respecting the core design.

91ZYrxKfxlL._SL1900_.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back