Does anyone prefer the new Rogue One/Mandalorian Stormtrooper helmets?

BlueSaber

The updated, more HD ready design?

I think I'd like to collect an episode IV helmet in the future as a showcase item, but to wear I'd like the new HD version.

I wouldn't want to join the 501st but just curious, do their members mix original trilogy and new style helmets? Like is that 'allowed'?

I love my Black Series helmet, it looks great. But it isn't 100% screen accurate because of the speaker/battery door. I'm wondering if anyone does make a 100% screen accurate version since it was made in the computer age.

Many of the Stormtroopers you see in The Mandalorian are in fact 501st members, so I imagine theirs are based on the OT requirements for their detachment.

The updated, more HD ready design?

I think I'd like to collect an episode IV helmet in the future as a showcase item, but to wear I'd like the new HD version.

I wouldn't want to join the 501st but just curious, do their members mix original trilogy and new style helmets? Like is that 'allowed'?

I love my Black Series helmet, it looks great. But it isn't 100% screen accurate because of the speaker/battery door. I'm wondering if anyone does make a 100% screen accurate version since it was made in the computer age.
Check over at whitearmor.net. There are already armor makers for the anthology TKs if you want something better than the black series one. Mixing armor styles isn't allowed in the 501st but therr is a separate CRL for anthology TKs. The 501st TKs in the mando mostly follow the old CRLs though. (whennyou know that you can easily spot those next to the professional ones)

Yeah I'll echo what masterX244 said. Go over to whitearmor.net and poke around. There are detailed comparisons of the Rogue One TKs vs the ANH TKs, etc... And yeah, mixing and matching parts is generally frowned upon if you're going for 501st approval, but if you're just trooping around your neighborhood having fun, then I'd say just do whatever you want. FYI: The Remnant TKs from The Mandalorian are indeed reused Rogue One TKs with added weathering. The 501st members are in episodes 7 and 8 (many of which are active members over on whitearmor.net), and their armor ranges all over the place, from ANH Stunts, to ROTJ armor (I think I even spotted an FX helmet in there somewhere, but I could be wrong).

SB

I'm just kinda irked the new Hasbro black series storm trooper they revealed are based on... Not the OT. The helmets look vertically squished, like when you put old 90s episodes of friends on a widescreen tv. #howYOUdoin
It would make sense to me that all remnant troops would be ROTJ correct. I mean, how do troopers time travel from rogue 1 to the mandolorian? Somebody was UA during the armor update issue day lol
In the end I suppose we are just too picky lol

I'm just kinda irked the new Hasbro black series storm trooper they revealed are based on... Not the OT. The helmets look vertically squished, like when you put old 90s episodes of friends on a widescreen tv. #howYOUdoin
It would make sense to me that all remnant troops would be ROTJ correct. I mean, how do troopers time travel from rogue 1 to the mandolorian? Somebody was UA during the armor update issue day lol
In the end I suppose we are just too picky lol

Just to be clear do you mean the one Hasbro released in 2016? The one I have looks pretty wide so maybe it's an optical illusion.

I just think they made an HD version. Darth Vader's costume was upgraded from ANH to ESB as well.

Not sure what HD means.
This new figure was just announced for May the fourth be with you.
I will try to grab a pic...
Ok yeah its listed as rogue one.
TBS_R1_stormtrooper-804x1024.jpg

I will say though, it looks fantastic and I will be getting at least 3 of them.

Last edited:
Not sure what HD means.
This new figure was just announced for May the fourth be with you.
I will try to grab a pic...
Ok yeah its listed as rogue one.
View attachment 1296545

I will say though, it looks fantastic and I will be getting at least 3 of them.

Ohhh the figure. Yeah I was referring to the helmet which is from the same source.

These new Stormtroopers are a bit more based on the HD version of Stormtroopers aka the Rogue One/Mandalorian Stormtroopers. You know, high def as in more detail and cleaner finish for higher definition cameras.

I both like and do not like the Rogue One/Solo Stormtroopers. I like that they are symmetrical. I do not like the tube stripes being slits. I do not like the different earcap greeblies. I do not like the overdetailed "OII" on the backplate. I do not like the all-plastic belt. I do not like that they used the Airsoft replicas as the bases for the E-11 blasters. I do not like that they use Ainsworth's inaccurate power cylinders on them -- thus retroactively making them accurate. I do not like the non-chelsea boots. And other minor quibbles.

The Black Series helmet makes a lovely starting point to work on, though. I fill the tube slits, I level out the brow and earcap greeblies (the latter of which I replace with more OT-accurate ones), I replace the chin grille and Hovi-Mix aerators, I extend the faceplate undercut, I replace the lenses... It ends up looking like an idealized ANH, not a Rogue One.

I both like and do not like the Rogue One/Solo Stormtroopers. I like that they are symmetrical. I do not like the tube stripes being slits. I do not like the different earcap greeblies. I do not like the overdetailed "OII" on the backplate. I do not like the all-plastic belt. I do not like that they used the Airsoft replicas as the bases for the E-11 blasters. I do not like that they use Ainsworth's inaccurate power cylinders on them -- thus retroactively making them accurate. I do not like the non-chelsea boots. And other minor quibbles.

The Black Series helmet makes a lovely starting point to work on, though. I fill the tube slits, I level out the brow and earcap greeblies (the latter of which I replace with more OT-accurate ones), I replace the chin grille and Hovi-Mix aerators, I extend the faceplate undercut, I replace the lenses... It ends up looking like an idealized ANH, not a Rogue One.
The OT boots make no sense for a combat uniform. Maybe for a dress uniform, but they are not practical for combat movement. Not enough traction.

I like that the R1 TKs are more practical and don't look like warped, flimsy plastic. They look more realistic as protective armor a soldier would wear. Some of the detail choices are debatable.

Do you have a picture of your modded black series Trooper Bucket? i would love to see how you did with it!

I need to revive the thread I started on the subject. I started out with a single Shadow Trooper build-up (since I prefer working with dark plastic), but it has evolved into three and I've gotten to the point where I'm focusing on ancillary pieces -- prepping the cut out and smoothed traps and tears for moulding, prepping my full length chin grille for moulding, reworking the earcaps since I decided to ditch the R1 greeblies (except for my Legacy helmet build, because, oddly, they match what Jan designed for those comics perfectly)... Plus, while I have one pair of VaderPainter lenses, I need to lock down where I'm going to get the rest from now that he's retiring. And none of that stuff is perma-mounted except the bases for the aerators to screw onto after everything's painted. I've primed some pieces and sanded them back down, but nothing's done yet.

Also, I need to rehost stuff somewhere that isn't Photobucket. But here's the link. Ignore where I initially decided to re-do the tube slits as curved to match the original appearance, and also where I decided to open up the slits in the traps and tears. I went back to my first stance -- they're markings, not physical artifacts. The tube stripes are markings on the Phase II Clone Troopers, they're markings in ANH (and different troopers have different numbers of them -- including, famously, none). I can't see the Empire forgetting, in between, a military adage that pre-dates the airplance here on Earth -- let alone interstellar spaceflight: "If there is an opening, dirt will get in it."

I also revised since the thread started how I'm doing the brow. I originally did careful measuring and lengthened it enough to match up with the curve inside the piece at the top of the faceplate... before I opted instead to remove that top portion of the faceplate. bring the brow down level, and use a strip of movie-accurate trim (the R1 rubber trim is a little shorter)

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back