Does anyone know of a company that makes a truly purple lightsaber?

BlueSaber

It feels impossible at this point. I have the Force FX Mace Windu but it’s clearly pink. Like really pink. I’ve tried multiple Ultrasabers (their violet amythyst along with a couple of their color changing Emerald sabers) and all I could get was a washed out pink. It’s pretty frustrating.

It feels impossible at this point. I have the Force FX Mace Windu but it’s clearly pink. Like really pink. I’ve tried multiple Ultrasabers (their violet amythyst along with a couple of their color changing Emerald sabers) and all I could get was a washed out pink. It’s pretty frustrating.

Few things that will throw a spanner in the works when chasing a purple colour.

1, is that colours don't look the same to different people, so I could say one is the "best" purple, but you would not quite see it as I do.

2, is that to make a deep purple kind of colour, you need a royal blue led, which is easy enough in an in hilt LED set up, but not possible in the usual strips used in pixel sabers, so that needs to be considered.

Purple is a difficult colour to really quantify and produce. Even Mace's in the films wasn't a deep purple.

A triple LED PCB such as a tri-Cree LED with a red die and a dark blue die can make for a great purple. Some prefer the red die to be a "deep red" die instead of regular red which will create even darker purples then just replacing the blue die with a dark blue. These PCBs can be ordered with these dies on them.

The nice thing about these in-hilt setups is that most modern saber sound boards allow you to configure them via text files on an SD card so that you can dial in the purple just the way you want it by providing more or less power to each individual LED.

The pink Black Series blade was so disappointing when I got it.

I wonder if the Galaxy's Edge Windu saber looks any better?

I second the tri-cree LEDs as a possible option.

i was so bummed that I couldn’t see it in person because they’re out of stock. But from videos I’ve seen it’s a slight shade more purple. I want something even more purple. Right in between blue and pink.

The saber armoury in the UK has a small(tiny really) board called the easy purple, it basically has smd resistors imbedded to help make the tri cree purple. If you truly want a purple blade you can go this route, or play with resistor values until you dial in the color you want.

A triple LED PCB such as a tri-Cree LED with a red die and a dark blue die can make for a great purple. Some prefer the red die to be a "deep red" die instead of regular red which will create even darker purples then just replacing the blue die with a dark blue. These PCBs can be ordered with these dies on them.

The nice thing about these in-hilt setups is that most modern saber sound boards allow you to configure them via text files on an SD card so that you can dial in the purple just the way you want it by providing more or less power to each individual LED.

+1

20190710_194758_HDR~2.jpg

Purple is just really tricky to get with light mixing, since it's not a spectral color. You've got violet, which is like purple, but you can't mix to it with RGB, since it's on the opposite side of blue from red and green, and blue and red mix to make magenta. You can play with resistors, and different kinds of blue and red Cree LEDs, to adjust the mix to some really nice purples, but there are some shades of it that are just always going to be out of reach

Basically ignore all other posts, and find someone who builds neopixel lightsaber blades. That way you can have any color you want, more or less.

Basically ignore all other posts, and find someone who builds neopixel lightsaber blades. That way you can have any color you want, more or less.

This is not true, in regards to what the OP stated that they want, and if you read my first reply you'd see that I specifically mentioned pixel and the issue with it and purple.

I'll say it again. Certain shades of purple require a deep blue led mixed with a red or deep red. Standard strips used in the overwhelming majority of pixel blades, do not have deep blue or deep red. Therefore some deeper shades of purple are not possible on a pixel saber. The OP has to decide whether they want a certain shade to be possible, and then accept whether an in hilt LED saber is what they want, or a pixel one with the trade off of not getting their desired purple shade.

This is good to know. So there is a drawback to neopixel sabers based on certain color preferences.

This is not true, in regards to what the OP stated that they want, and if you read my first reply you'd see that I specifically mentioned pixel and the issue with it and purple.

I'll say it again. Certain shades of purple require a deep blue led mixed with a red or deep red. Standard strips used in the overwhelming majority of pixel blades, do not have deep blue or deep red. Therefore some deeper shades of purple are not possible on a pixel saber. The OP has to decide whether they want a certain shade to be possible, and then accept whether an in hilt LED saber is what they want, or a pixel one with the trade off of not getting their desired purple shade.

definitely don’t want a slightly purple neopixel. I want a real purple. So in hilt led is fine. I just don’t know where to get it. And does it create a dim blade?

definitely don’t want a slightly purple neopixel. I want a real purple. So in hilt led is fine. I just don’t know where to get it. And does it create a dim blade?
unfortunately you will not find a purple led they don't exist. blue and red make purple.

For in-hilt you need atleast red and blue in a tri-cree, as chazzychaz pointed out above. It will not be as bright as a pixel blade, however you gain a better run time out of the battery generally. Also shades of purple don't tend to be the brightest anyway.

It is possible to make a purple/violet string blade, but that is far more work than is really worth doing, for the quality of the blade it'd produce.

This is good to know. So there is a drawback to neopixel sabers based on certain color preferences.

Yes in regard to colours like deep red, deep blue, and variations they can help produce. Another not so well known drawback is the trademark issue with the name neopixel. Adafruit have started noticing people selling sabers with "neopixel" that aren't using their trademarked neopixel strips, and are getting those sales pulled.

Last edited:
For in-hilt you need atleast red and blue in a tri-cree, as chazzychaz pointed out above. It will not be as bright as a pixel blade, however you gain a better run time out of the battery generally. Also shades of purple don't tend to be the brightest anyway.

It is possible to make a purple/violet string blade, but that is far more work than is really worth doing, for the quality of the blade it'd produce.

Yes in regard to colours like deep red, deep blue, and variations they can help produce. Another not so well known drawback is the trademark issue with the name neopixel. Adafruit have started noticing people selling sabers with "neopixel" that aren't using their trademarked neopixel strips, and are getting those sales pulled.
that sounds like bullsquat to me

that sounds like bullsquat to me

It'd be immensely helpful to point out which parts you don't think are true, so I can then link specific info to prove my points, to save me the hassle of having to link everything below like I have done in this instance;

- Neopixel being Adafruit propert

-Violet LEDS

UltraViolet LEDs that can be used in the creation of string blades (pixels strips are different tech) *Very dangerous also for eye*

- Run time of in hilt LEDs being longer is a well established fact in FX saber community, and easily checkable with basic maths and relevant formulas. Also in hilt LEDs being less bright than a pixel blade, is also well established.

I've added two screenshots (I could find more info and examples easily), from the Open Source Saber FB group. Fredrik is the creator of the Teensy/Proffie boards

Attachments

• 616FE30E-3A93-40D0-B173-20DFEF0D8AA0.png
    616FE30E-3A93-40D0-B173-20DFEF0D8AA0.png
    264.9 KB · Views: 110
  • 254835D5-A7F1-401A-A7F3-894F5AA550F6.png
    254835D5-A7F1-401A-A7F3-894F5AA550F6.png
    152.4 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
It'd be immensely helpful to point out which parts you don't think are true, so I can then link specific info to prove my points, to save me the hassle of having to link everything below like I have done in this instance;

- Neopixel being Adafruit propert

-Violet LEDS

UltraViolet LEDs that can be used in the creation of string blades (pixels strips are different tech) *Very dangerous also for eye*

- Run time of in hilt LEDs being longer is a well established fact in FX saber community, and easily checkable with basic maths and relevant formulas. Also in hilt LEDs being less bright than a pixel blade, is also well established.

I've added two screenshots (I could find more info and examples easily), from the Open Source Saber FB group. Fredrik is the creator of the Teensy/Proffie boards
UV very dangerous

Back