Doctor Who opinions

Watched 'Resolutions', the New Years special last night.
If they were to introduce Ryan's father I wish they had it as a stand alone episode- having him in this show did nothing but fluff out the time to the promised hour and a half. If he was missing nothing would have changed- just have the Dalek-Squid grab somebody else at the end.
I was a bit disappointed at the end- the Doctor just took him to an exploding star to get rid of him. There was a golden opportunity here to take the show up a bit. The Dalek Scout kept talking about the Dalek Fleet and wanting to contact them- the Daleks have had massive defeats many times in the course of the show- just have the TARDIS arrive at the results of one of those. Opening the door only to see dead broken wreckage tumbling instead of a glorious fleet to rejoin would have been such a beautiful moment...

Watched 'Resolutions', the New Years special last night.
If they were to introduce Ryan's father I wish they had it as a stand alone episode- having him in this show did nothing but fluff out the time to the promised hour and a half. If he was missing nothing would have changed- just have the Dalek-Squid grab somebody else at the end.
I was a bit disappointed at the end- the Doctor just took him to an exploding star to get rid of him. There was a golden opportunity here to take the show up a bit. The Dalek Scout kept talking about the Dalek Fleet and wanting to contact them- the Daleks have had massive defeats many times in the course of the show- just have the TARDIS arrive at the results of one of those. Opening the door only to see dead broken wreckage tumbling instead of a glorious fleet to rejoin would have been such a beautiful moment...

You know, that's exactly what I was thinking was going to happen too. Missed opportunity to just have the 13 doctor take off the 'mask' she shows for the companions and reveal she still has the steel of the other doctors. Things i liked though were her confrontation in the shed with the Dalek, really had me hoping for a second we'd get some of her 'true face' but then she backs off from the moment real quick. Then later I think she makes sure to validate her choice to kill it in front of the companions "you saw, I gave it a chance right?" I thought that was a bit of 9 and maybe 10 slipping through.

Although being willing to sacrifice Ryan's father was definitely a move 9 would have done.

I thought it was okay but now we are going to have to wait at least a year before any new shows. They have not even confirmed if they are doing a Christmas/New Years show at the end of this year.

Is the BBC trying to kill Dr Who? It is one of the longest running series if not the longest in the history of television. Skip a year, lets see them try that with football, there would be riots!

Is the BBC trying to kill Dr Who? It is one of the longest running series if not the longest in the history of television. Skip a year, lets see them try that with football, there would be riots!

I think they did something similar back in 2013 during the 50th anniversary where they only had the 50th show and the Christmas special that year. Wasn't too happy about it then and I'm not happy about it now.

The current season is total crap, other than Graham, who actually has a brain. But yeah other than that, it started getting bad at Capaldi's first season, and was total crap once they got rid of him for this chick. Firing Moffat wasn't a bad idea, but hiring Chinballs was worse. Skipping a year AGAIN was stupid. Casting terrible actors was stupid (with the exception of Jodie, who's character is ruined due to Chinballs, and Bradley Walsh, who plays Graham O'Brien). Everything about this season is pretty much all around stupid. Finally, somewhere I can rant about how much I hate this season without people whining lol.

It's sad when your absolute favorite show transforms into something that you don't even enjoy anymore.

It used to be adventure, now it's just politically correct moral prose!

I spent the last season watching it thinking, "I still like this.....I still like this.....I still like..............cheese!"

I should have Tom Baker's Doctor Who book delivered tomorrow from Amazon. I will read it and call Doctor Who finished after that!

I've still liked Doctor Who after Tom Baker, who will always be my Doctor, but it is hard to watch at times. I haven't liked a complete season in a while even though most seasons have a few good shows, the last season I really liked was Matt Smith's second season. I have NOT and never will be a fan of story arcs that go on over a season or more, I'm more a fan of stand alone episodes or 2 parters.

I have a special fondness of the Tom Baker era- I had a chance when I was in England to visit the TARDIS control room when it was on display at the Museum of Science and Technology. A lot of the controls had protective covers over them but a few you could work. I did not know much about the show then but a while later I started watching his episodes on the local PBS channel on Saturday nights- and there he was pushing those same buttons!

I think the show runners are really messing up the series- so many companions it is hard to find things for all of them to do. The shows are big on style but come up short in substance. Jodie reminds me a lot of David Tennant but seems held back and acting too confused most of the time. After the change the new Doctor is a bit out of it for a while but quickly defines themselves and takes control- David was up and in full form by the end of his first episode

DOCTOR: You cut my hand off.
SYCORAX: Ya! Sycorax!
DOCTOR: And now I know what sort of man I am. I'm lucky. Because quite by chance I'm still within the first fifteen hours of my regeneration cycle, which means I've got just enough residual cellular energy to do this.
(He grows a new hand.)
SYCORAX: Witchcraft.
DOCTOR: Time Lord.
ROSE: Doctor!
(Rose throws him another sword.)
DOCTOR: Oh, so I'm still the Doctor, then?
ROSE: No arguments from me!
DOCTOR: Want to know the best bit? This new hand? It's a fighting hand!
(They fight again. The Doctor disarms the Sycorax and thumps both hilts into it's abdomen, twice. It falls, right on the edge, overlooking London.)
DOCTOR: I win.
SYCORAX: Then kill me.
DOCTOR: I'll spare your life if you'll take this Champion's command. Leave this planet, and never return. What do you say?
SYCORAX: Yes.
DOCTOR: Swear on the blood of your species.
SYCORAX: I swear.
DOCTOR: There we are, then. Thanks for that. Cheers, big fellow.
HARRIET: Bravo!
ROSE: That says it all. Bravo!
DOCTOR: Ah, not bad for a man in his jim-jams.
(Rose helps him on with the dressing gown.)
DOCTOR: Very Arthur Dent. Now, there was a nice man. Hold on, what have I got in here? A satsuma. Ah, that friend of your mothers. He does like his snacks doesn't he? But doesn't that just sum up Christmas? You go through all those presents and right at the end, tucked away at the bottom, there's always one stupid old satsuma. Who wants a satsuma?
(The Sycorax leader gets up, grabs his sword and runs at the Doctor's back. The Doctor throws the satsuma at a control on the spaceship hull, a piece of the wing opens up and the leader falls to his death.)
DOCTOR: No second chances. I'm that sort of a man.

On the back of strong discussions between BBC and ITV about forming their own "Britbox" streaming platform (like Netflix) there are indications the direction that Dr Who has been going is due to change quite radically. Apparently the average ratings were disappointingly downward going after the initial positive start. Hands up those that are surprised by that. .

What I'd like to see is an action/adventure (not sure if you'd call it a spin-off) series about the War Doctor. They could go an entirely different direction, bring in a new fan base to introduce DW to and explore other sides of the Doctor and this part of his story.

I love the new Doc, but strongly disliked the stories and writing outside of a few good moments. This is kinda how I felt about Capaldi's entire run.

I stopped watching after Matt Smith's second series and haven't looked back. I still watch and enjoy episodes of classic Who. I was never dissatisfied with any of the newer portrayals of the Doctor. Eccleston, Tennant, and Smith were all great in their own way and all were worthy additions to the series. I can't comment on Capaldi and Whitaker because I haven't watched them, but I am sure that they are great actors. The new show just seems to lack a certain charm that classic Who had. I don't know if it is the format change or what. I can't blame the writing. The old series had some stinkers also. I simply just don't enjoy watching the new show. Does anyone else feel this way?

I stopped watching after Matt Smith's second series and haven't looked back. I simply just don't enjoy watching the new show. Does anyone else feel this way?

Yep,....I'm almost the exact same as you apart from I did watch a few of the Capaldi & Whitaker episodes,....enough for me to decide it wasn't for me.....It has lost it's magic & charm

I did enjoy the 50th anniversary episode, but I loved the Adventures in Time & Space bio film

J

Yep,....I'm almost the exact same as you apart from I did watch a few of the Capaldi & Whitaker episodes,....enough for me to decide it wasn't for me.....It has lost it's magic & charm

Same here. I didn't want to watch but my wife did. Now, after the disaster that this past series was, even she's said she's done with the show.

I bailed a few episodes into Capaldi's run, but it wasn't out of some sense disappointment or betrayal, or some particular aversion to Capaldi.

It was just clear to me that I'd experienced about all I was going to experience from doctor who. I had consumed every doctor who since ecelson, and I was content. I saw a lot a crazy wild stuff. saw some great lines delivered. some very well crated scenes. And I was happy. The new episodes would deliver the same in the long run, no more, no less. And as I'd already bought that ticket, and taken that ride, it was time to move on and see other things.

I love the new Doc, but strongly disliked the stories and writing outside of a few good moments. This is kinda how I felt about Capaldi's entire run.

Capaldi was a terrific Doctor but had garbage for scripts.

Same boat. After the one good story Capaldi had, "Heaven Sent", they followed it up with something utter crap and didn't turn it around at any point after that for me.

Caught a partial episode of the latest Doctor and though I like the acting (despite her looking like a sheep herder) and the bump in the production value, the story was just ho-hum and kinda...lame.

Been trying to find time again to squeeze in rewatching Classic Who (though anything after the 4th Doctor gets kinda muddling) but those are a lot of shows to sit through.

... but those are a lot of shows to sit through.

I'm not gonna lie, I'm not sure any piece of media is worth "sitting through" just to be able to say you've watched it, or to fulfill some sort of completion needs.

If your view is that watching them is like "sitting through" them, I'd say friggin skip 'em, lol.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back