Doctor Who opinions

A slap in the face to all Whovians is a huge over reaction - but, so is saying they are as much of what defines the Doctor as the TARDIS. The Sonic Screwdriver made its first appearance five years into Doctor Who's run and was destroyed during the 5th Doctor's run, not returning until the 8th Doctor. I didn't care for the sonic sunglasses - but, let's not pretend that's as integral to the series as the TARDIS... which, of course, a great deal of the series takes place without it being part of the storyline.

Beat me two it. I think troughton used it once or twice, Pertwee a few more than that, Baker a good deal, but far from every episode and over a LONG time as well. Then as noted, 6-7 not at all.

Even Eccelston didn't use it religiously, but buy the end of tennant it was the most powerful object in the universe it seemed and it has clearly become a crutch. Maybe the shades were an attempt at make it less of a crutch, i don't know. But it's gotten to the point where they could come up against 3 sith and the sonic would take them all out in 5 seconds flat.

And speaking of the new one looking like something from Geordi's toolbox...frankly, it SHOULD look even higher tech than that by a good margin. Timelord tech makes trek tech look like the stone age after all.

The guitar, i think, needs to go down to 1-3 episodes a year. Not nearly all of them. Not an instrument one associates with Gallfrey...

I don't think he needs a screwdriver in-hand all the time. I just would prefer that the device he use remain a screwdriver. Moffat changed the thing for the sake of changing the thing and tweaking the fans. It was a completely "meta" move.

Much like the Doctor looking like "shabby granddad" in his hoodie. I liked the notion of it initially, when the story was (apparently) that they wanted to give certain fans the ability to wear an inexpensive costume, but the costume itself just ended up looking totally nondescript. It had no character to it, really.

The guitar stuff has been irritating, too. It's the kind of thing that's cool ONCE IN A WHILE. Not every other episode, let alone every damn episode.

The running theme in all of this stuff is that decisions are being made based on the impact on and interaction with the audience, rather than based on storytelling. This is why the show feels like it's veered into fanfic territory. It's less about just telling a good story, and more about "look how cool/clever we can be."

What's sad is that when the show is good, it's great. Moffat and his team have shown that they have the ability to tell some truly amazing stories. But when it's off these days, man is it off.

...And speaking of the new one looking like something from Geordi's toolbox...frankly, it SHOULD look even higher tech than that by a good margin. Timelord tech makes trek tech look like the stone age after all...
I don't disagree. But, normally, objects become more streamlined as their technology advances. So at this point a Sonic Screwdriver shouldn't be much more than a simple cylinder shape with an emitter at one end and some sort of activation button; it shouldn't look like a tourist shop TARDIS pen with a bunch of crap screwed to it for no apparent reason other than to make it look like some sort of high-tech rubbish.

That being said, we've really only had a glimpse of this new one. It might eventually grow on me; time will tell. I didn't like Smith's Sonic Screwdriver until after he was gone and Capaldi started using it, but I admit that might have had more to do with Smith manically whipping it out and swinging it around every chance he got.

So glad they ditched the sunglasses. :facepalm

They definitely need to give Capaldi more to work with. I really like him, but the stories have been so lacking.

OK So I have to say I thought this Christmas episode was complete rubbish. I was kinda intrigued with the idea of River coming back and not recognizing the Doctor and all. All I can say is this is getting bad and Moffat is wasting a lot talent. I really wish that he would come on sites like this to see what people are saying about his work. I think if I were him and I saw that the Doctor Who thread was on page 6 and had been 2 weeks since someone had mentioned it that that would be enough for him to at least think something is not working.

Sometimes I read comments and I wonder if people are watching the same show I am. I enjoyed the Christmas episode - it might not have been the best episode, but I enjoyed the smaller, more personal (?) story.

I had almost posted about it in this thread shortly after watching, but... there seems to be quite a bit of Doctor Who hate here, so I kept quiet and read more about this episode in places that are a little more friendly and discussion oriented.

I've finally caught up (except for the Xmas episode), and on the whole, I have to say, I thought Clara's (second) exit was handled about as well as one could hope for.

But here's the thing. The entirety of this past season...seems like a "bottle season." Like, stuff happened, but the only things of consequence were Clara leaving (again) and Me/Ashildr being introduced (and then leaving). So, on the whole, it strikes me that this ENTIRE SEASON is completely unnecessary. If you stopped watching at the end of last season (before the Xmas special), and picked up at the start of next season...would it matter in the slightest? I'd guess...no. Not really. Clara would still be gone. The Doctor would be kind of a wreck, and...um...that's it? There were some really bright points this season, but so much of it seemed to me to be pointless filler. It just wasn't that interesting. It wasn't really going anywhere, and I didn't really care about anything that was happening (again, except for those well-done episodes).

I look forward to Capaldi having a truly new companion, and the show FINALLY moving forward. I'll look forward to Moffat's eventual departure, too, which I hope comes soon. It's really, really time at this point.

See I don't care to discuss as I have generally enjoyed this season. My friend Solo now he hates Moffat and that I think is were the negative connotation about this thread comes in. I for one liked the finally. I was happy for once to see a companion have a happy ending

The Christmas episode I just hated. I mean he only dropped 100 hints that he was the Doctor and River never got it. Then is she an archeologist or is she a pillager? Also the whole I take the Tardis anytime I want and he has no clue thing irked me as well.

I find it strange that NOBODY has mentioned that Capaldi has said it is VERY likely he will only do one more season before moving on to other things. Makes you wonder why doesn't it.

See I don't care to discuss as I have generally enjoyed this season. My friend Solo now he hates Moffat and that I think is were the negative connotation about this thread comes in. I for one liked the finally. I was happy for once to see a companion have a happy ending

The Christmas episode I just hated. I mean he only dropped 100 hints that he was the Doctor and River never got it. Then is she an archeologist or is she a pillager? Also the whole I take the Tardis anytime I want and he has no clue thing irked me as well.

I mean, feel free to voice what you liked about the season. It doesn't bother me. I just think that Moffat's storytelling has gotten progressively less satisfying overall, and that the past few seasons have been really a waste. Especially this one. I used to feel far more engaged by Doctor Who, but lately I just find myself kinda no caring to watch. The thing is I think the show can be a whole lot better, and Capaldi is an AMAZING Doctor who's being wasted by his showrunner (although he does get to shine in some episodes). The last two episodes of the season were decent, but the show can be so much better than that.

I find it strange that NOBODY has mentioned that Capaldi has said it is VERY likely he will only do one more season before moving on to other things. Makes you wonder why doesn't it.

This is the first I've heard of it, but I'd expect it's because (A) working a TV schedule is far more grueling than doing films, and (B) maybe he's just interested in doing other stuff.

See I don't understand this whole production being so exhausting. I mean I understand a lot goes into a 1 hour show but and I don't claim to know the difference in techniques from US to UK but 12 shows is so draining that they have to go down to 6. I mean look at Castle. The show is in it's like 7th or 8th season and they do 20 + shows a year and Fillion is in a bunch of other stuff. So I have to admit I don't understand that.

Well, that's an exaggeration.

“This could be my final year – it’s terrifying. I love Doctor Who but it can be quite an insular world and I do want to do other things. There will come a time when this is over. But I knew that when I started. I was thinking about my regeneration scene from the outset. That’s my terrible melancholic nature. When you accept the job you know there’ll come a day, inevitably, when you’ll be saying goodbye.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/...enes-of-the-Doctor-Who-Christmas-special.html

Of course, there was another article (of course, I can't find the link... argh) where he said he'd be up for more Doctor Who - more than the 12 episodes we get annually.

Just try typing "Capaldi hints the next season may be his last" into google search. You'll soon find it. Mind you they said the same about somebody else leaving and look how wrong that was! A lot of horrified speculation that she who will not be named may be returning after her stint as Queen Vic on that other channel. And remember this is the internet and NOBODY exaggerates anything here do they.

I swear to God, if Clara comes back again, I'm done. I love Jenna Coleman, but that would signal to me that the stories just have no integrity anymore.

I swear to God, if Clara comes back again, I'm done. I love Jenna Coleman, but that would signal to me that the stories just have no integrity anymore.

Moffat has no integrity whatsoever. That's why I dropped Doctor Who, didn't watch the Christmas special and will never, ever watch another episode until Moffat is gone.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back