Doctor Who: Cybermen gun

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by 00MrNotWrong00, Oct 16, 2008.

1. 00MrNotWrong00

00MrNotWrong00 Sr Member

I've been wanting to do this for like two years now and I finally found the time. I have it at just over 40 inches and it looks right, but I was wondering if anyone knew the actual size?

If you know please let me in on it, and if you don't please let me know what you think of my work.

You can see my other pieces if you click on my name and go to the link for yourprops.com . Please leave some feed back, and if you know something I don't please tell me all about it.

One more thing, If anyone knows how I can make my pictures bigger, please let me know.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2008
  2. glim999

glim999 Sr Member

Re: Does anyone know how big this should be?

I have no idea what it's suppose to be but it's looking cool :)

3. agent5

agent5 Sr Member

The title of your thread had me scratching my head at first. :lol Of course, I was thinking of something else.

4. 00MrNotWrong00

00MrNotWrong00 Sr Member

It's the gun from the new Dr.Who. They first used it in the first episode with a dalek. Then all the cybermen were carrying it. You can also find it in the board room on TorchWood.

Thank you for the support.

5. punisher

punisher Sr Member

It looks like its about the right size, for guns, I think the best way to scale it would be to make the handle/grip to fit your hand and then scale it from there. Very nice clean sketch on the wood btw!!

6. gunnerk19

gunnerk19 Sr Member

You can use a photo host site like Photobucket; it's free, uploads from your computer are fast, and there is an option listed below the "upload file" button that lets you choose what size picture you want to reduce or enlarge to. It also provides an IMG code below the uploaded image that you click on and automatically copies the code for you, then you just paste that code into your post...

[​IMG]

HTH

BTW, that looks frakking cool! can't wait to see the finished product...

Last edited: Oct 16, 2008
  7. 00MrNotWrong00

00MrNotWrong00 Sr Member

Thank you for your input, It makes me very happy when people like my work.

8. synasp

synasp Sr Member

Looks like a great start in the picture! Can you post closer up (larger) pictures of the gun photo and your sketch? That'll give us a better source to critique, if that's what you're looking for.

Also, I'm editing your thread title to be more descriptive.

9. 00MrNotWrong00

00MrNotWrong00 Sr Member

Thank you so much. I think the photo is copyrighted, it was floating around on a few threads but now i can't find it anymore. I'll have more picture of the piece tomorrow or maybe even tonight.

The picture that is up right now was to big. I shaved about two inches off it but it still seems a bit an the large side.

I wish someone had one of the props from the show.

10. Coz

Coz Sr Member

Oh, that looks * cool! :)

BTW, the pic is from the Dr Who Visual Dictionary.
    [​IMG]

C.

11. Coz

Coz Sr Member

12. 00MrNotWrong00

00MrNotWrong00 Sr Member

Thank you for all the nice words. This is where I am right now.

(click for larger picture)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some one has got to be able to help me with this whole posting pictures thing.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2008
  13. synasp

synasp Sr Member

Very nice progress!! How long did that take you? Is it all MDF? Are you going to mold it?

Fixed. I uploaded them to imageshack.us since the ones you uploaded are huuuge. But I kept the original links for reference.

14. 00MrNotWrong00

00MrNotWrong00 Sr Member

Oh thank you. I have about 6 hours in right now and I can normally have a piece finished in under 40.

I haven't built a roto-caster yet so I'll be vacuum-forming it. I think the screen used prop is vacuum formed. I mostly work in mdf because it holds up so well to multiple pressings.

I have to go

thank you for the support.

15. Reactor drone

Reactor drone Well-Known Member

Scaling that image it looks like the cables are 12mm(or 1/2") which makes the black straps on the parallel world transporter near it 50mm(2") and the total gun length around 835mm.

Roughly:lol

16. 00MrNotWrong00

00MrNotWrong00 Sr Member

That would be around 33 inches. At that size the handle would be much to small for the Cyber-Men to get their hands around. On the official bbc web site there are some pics of behind the seens where the actors are holding the gun and it looks like the clip comming out of the stock is about 2 inches from the persons elbow and a cybermen is standing next two a gun leaning up on his leg and it just reaches his crotch. Now the actors playing cybermen are on high heals and from most of the shots I've seen it looks like they tryed to find the tallest guys they could to play the part, but that still makes me think the hole gun should be about 36 inches (or three feet) and that would make my gun to big by two inches. I've looked over it again and again and I can't figure out where I could shave two more inches off. Oh yeah and right now it feels so cool to hold it really feels right.

So should I start over or not make it at all untill some one can figure out the exact size? or should I finish it ?

17. synasp

synasp Sr Member

From experience, second guessing yourself isn't a good idea. I locked in a measurement on a prop, second guessed myself, then redid it just to find out my initial measurement was correct.

So unless you're 100% sure you don't have the right size (and know what the right size is) I'd keep with it. At worst, hold off on it and do a little more research, but I wouldn't scrub the project entirely.

18. 00MrNotWrong00

00MrNotWrong00 Sr Member

It took a lot longer than I wanted but I think I got the sides shaved down to the right angles. Things would have gone much faster if I could have found the sanding disk attachment for my grinder. Looks like I'll be making a trip to harbor freight this week.
    Right now I'm pretty happy with the way things are going with this piece and I hope to have it on the vacuum table by next weekend.

http://www.hooverae.com/upload/files/261008/4206674.jpeg

http://www.hooverae.com/upload/files/261008/4270762.jpeg

19. baron von blondle

baron von blondle Well-Known Member

wow looks awesome! fantastic work.

can't wit to see it painted and weathered!

Respect
    P.

20. 00MrNotWrong00

00MrNotWrong00 Sr Member

So I finally finished painting in the shop. So I can get back to working on the cyber-gun then I ran across an old thread witch had pictures of the Wilco Pulse Pistol (the gun from Farscape) and I just could not believe how much better it looked than mine. They made it longer than it should be and thinner. It looks like something a bad * Pimp would whip out and lay some body out with. Then I went back to mine and I just could not leave it the way it looked. So I pulled it apart and spent most of the evening reworking my old buck. Here are some pictures. The first picture is of what I was painting in the shop, and the second picture is of the old buck I had to destroy.

21. 00MrNotWrong00

00MrNotWrong00 Sr Member

Can any one get me better pictures of the stickers in the picture ? I should have this thing ready for paint next week. If any one can help I'd really appreciate it. thank you.

22. 00MrNotWrong00

00MrNotWrong00 Sr Member

Dollar tree doesn't have that shinny sticker printer paper any more. I really wanted to use that for these stickers. A kind member here put these together for me and I want to hear everyone's opinion on them.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm very happy with them. Seeing as I have no money, I'm most likely going to print them out, laminate them with packing tape and then contact cement them to the item.

23. LeMarchand

LeMarchand Sr Member

An easy way to make stickers is by coldlaminating the printouts on one side. Then get yourself some of that thin doublesided sticky tape and put that on the back....instant sticker.

May i suggest that you do the sign in vector. Maybe if i have some sparetime, i'll do it for you tonight :)

MArc

24. 00MrNotWrong00

00MrNotWrong00 Sr Member

Well I think I found what they used for the hoses.

[​IMG]

Any one have a good, easy, cheep way to replicate it?

25. JBReplicas

JBReplicas Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Fantastic work, this is looking really great although IIRC it's not actually a Cyberman gun but the gun carried by Mickey and The Preachers in the episodes 'Army Of Ghosts' and 'Doomsday' the Cybermen use them against the Daleks but they already have guns built into their forearms, don't suppose you'd thought about trying to do the Sontaran gun next? Those are awesome! :thumbsup

26. 00MrNotWrong00

00MrNotWrong00 Sr Member

Please some one come up with something that will look nice and not cheep for these hoses.

I really want this to be best looking item I've ever made, and I'm drawing a blank.

Some body please help me out here.

27. Reactor drone

Reactor drone Well-Known Member

28. fettster

fettster Sr Member

29. Roughneckone

Roughneckone Sr Member

30. 00MrNotWrong00

00MrNotWrong00 Sr Member

Oh wow thanks guys. Those all look great. I've never even seen that ss conduit before. Great ideas thank you.

31. 00MrNotWrong00

00MrNotWrong00 Sr Member

Oh Man I had a great day today, I got the shop up to 85 degrees. So I did some bondo work on this thing and I got the rear of the thing just right.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thing went so well today I even got to play a little with my DC-15. This thing is so close to being finished now I'm very excited.

[​IMG]

The last few weeks have been really hard for me, And now just one great day later my whole outlook on life has changed. I hope there are more days like today around the corner.

32. Roughneckone

Roughneckone Sr Member

Your Cyberman gun is looking really sweet, can't wait to see it finished. The DC-15 is looking fantastic too you're one talented guy for sure. I know what you mean with the life stuff, sometimes it can really suck, then you have a good day at the workbench where something finally starts to come together and it can bring back that will to live again, LOL!

Roughneckone :cool

33. 00MrNotWrong00

00MrNotWrong00 Sr Member

Thanks so much for all your help on this project You've been very supportive. When I do the run you'll be getting the first one. If you don't mind covering the shipping :lol.

34. Chiok

Chiok Well-Known Member

Oooh, those are nice. Good and chunky, must be a real hefty thing to lug about. Must be lovely to work in a warm workshop, my garage is slowly freezing over :)

35. 00MrNotWrong00

00MrNotWrong00 Sr Member

I'll be vacuum forming the bulk of the item in 1/8 abs and adding the detail stuff after. It should be less than three pounds when finished. perfect for a costume convention.

Thanks for having a look, I'm a fan of your work as well .

36. 00MrNotWrong00

00MrNotWrong00 Sr Member

Fillin gaps ! I'll be pressing this baby soon ! Yeah

[​IMG]

37. JBReplicas

JBReplicas Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

ooooh cant wait

38. Roughneckone

Roughneckone Sr Member

Really looks perfect, can't wait to see one finished up. You going to do a "Rose" version too?

39. 00MrNotWrong00

00MrNotWrong00 Sr Member

I don't know if I'm going to do a "rose" one or not. I'd like to, but things have been going unbelievably bad for me for the last four or five months . If I wrote a book about my life no one would believe a word of it . It seems like the impossible happens everyday now.

I have a few pieces I need to get finished right now, and I need to finish my roto-caster before I start on anything else.

Thank you for all your support and interest in my work, It really makes me feel better about things when I get to do stuff like this and people notice and encourage my efforts.

Thank you.

40. Roughneckone

Roughneckone Sr Member

It would certainly be worth thinking about as I don't think there are too many mod's mainly a load more detail pieces at the front (see images). I think the "Rose" version just looks better somehow mainly the barrel tip looking less like a joined piece of fiberglass and more like a real weapon I think!!

[​IMG]

Sorry to hear that real life is being a pain right now but at least you have the comfort of your prop building to fall back on (when the aforementioned life allows). BTW you're not John Connor in real life are you that might explain a few things :lol:lol:lol!

41. Chiok

Chiok Well-Known Member

I prefer Mickey's gun over Rose's. Her gun looks like a large hot glue gun, or a caulk skeleton applicator.

A great big gun is a great big gun though :)

42. Roughneckone

Roughneckone Sr Member

Personally I just think Roses BFG looks more finished than Mickey's (glue gun or not :lol). As you say though a great big gun is a great big gun whatever finish it has!:love

[​IMG]

43. damster117

damster117 Active Member

I have some pics of the "Rose" gun from The Doctor Who exhibition if anyone's interested?

44. Roughneckone

Roughneckone Sr Member

Yes please, that would be wonderful. Screencaps are useful but there's nothing like a few shots taken of the actual prop.

Thanks for offering.(y)thumbsup(y)thumbsup

Roughneckone:cool

45. 00MrNotWrong00

00MrNotWrong00 Sr Member

Oh I'd like to see those pictures as well.

46. CatfoodRob

CatfoodRob Well-Known Member

I`ll third that motion, lets be having those pictures !!!!:)

47. damster117

damster117 Active Member

They're pretty large pics so rather than post em heres direct links :)

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-7/34584/IMG_0154.JPG
    http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-7/34584/IMG_0120.JPG
    http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-7/34584/IMG_0121.JPG
    http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-7/34584/IMG_0122.JPG
    http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-7/34584/IMG_0124.JPG
    http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-7/34584/IMG_0125.JPG

..and if anyone wants to make me one as thanks feel free! lol :)

48. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

Point sharp end at enemy. :lol

49. Roughneckone

Roughneckone Sr Member

Wow, they are wonderful images, really you can see more of the gun than you'd want to on screen (and thats excluding the label) :lol.

Thanks very much for taking the time to show them.

Best
    Roughneckone:cool

50. damster117

damster117 Active Member

Not a problem :)