Doc's foam/fiberglass work + Mark 42 painted pieces

Re: Foam Ironman Mark VII coated with rondo, alternative coating for super flex and s

of course we want a tutorial doc !!! damn you always pushin the limit to the max !!
your the best.

Re: Foam Ironman Mark VII coated with rondo, alternative coating for super flex and s

I would like to know how you did that it looks really nice and shiny and smooth

Interested to see what you cooked up Doc.

Very, Very interested!!!! I was using rondo on the back of my suit but it cracked so bad I have to remake it, do you use both the resin and bondo hardener or just one? thanks for the info...

of course we want a tutorial doc !!! damn you always pushin the limit to the max !!
your the best.

ok once i get home ill post it with the pics of the exact products i use. It has nothing to do with resin, bondo, smooth on or any mixing what so ever. It took me alot of trial n error for this n Im not one of those a**holes that dont want any one else to know I want you all to know cuz i see great builds until some of ya'll get to painting n i know get dissapointed. Theres alot of steps n can explain better with pics so you guys can follow to the tee. Also its so flexible can practically bend in half and still resist cracks, super shiny, durable and scratch resistant. This is the method we've all been tryin to achieve n i want to share wit ya'll! ;D

Re: ironman coated with rondo, now unlocked mystery to painting foam thats flexible

Can't wait to see this tutorial. I'm planning on either doing rondo or smooth-on for my suit but having something that works for flexible pieces like the neck that is shiny like that will be awesome!

Amazing job on this so far and thanks a lot for sharing all your learnings.

Re: ironman coated with rondo, now unlocked mystery to painting foam thats flexible

Sick! Very nice, cant wait to check out the finished version!

Yes, please share. I really really love the suit so far.

Making a Mark 3 suit for my 6 yr old and keeping it flexable is a must if I can.
Also, can you take a pic of the inside of the shoe please? Trying to acctually make a shoe for my son to wear without another shoe inside has not been fun, its like trying to reinvent the wheel.

Cant wait to see what youcame up with for coating the foam.

I used Epoxymite 101 on my helmet in 3 coats and it has 2 cracks in it. You cant hand a kid a helmet and no expect him to use it.... "Look Daddy it bounces..."

Doc u do great work, I just love the fact that u actually figured out how to harden the out side of foam in a cheap way. You have saved me money and time thanks a billion.

Can't wait to see this tutorial. I'm planning on either doing rondo or smooth-on for my suit but having something that works for flexible pieces like the neck that is shiny like that will be awesome!

well look no further you've come to the right place :), With this new way i figured out is perfect for neck, abs ...hell everything lol
Amazing job on this so far and thanks a lot for sharing all your learnings.

No problem its my pleasure :)

Sick! Very nice, cant wait to check out the finished version!
lol thanks n now i can go faster
Yes, please share. I really really love the suit so far.

Thanks and tut comin up

Making a Mark 3 suit for my 6 yr old and keeping it flexable is a must if I can.
Also, can you take a pic of the inside of the shoe please? Trying to acctually make a shoe for my son to wear without another shoe inside has not been fun, its like trying to reinvent the wheel.

Cant wait to see what youcame up with for coating the foam.

I used Epoxymite 101 on my helmet in 3 coats and it has 2 cracks in it. You cant hand a kid a helmet and no expect him to use it.... "Look Daddy it bounces..."
Thanks n yea I can do that. I can relate I got 2 boys 6 n 7, i first started makin theres so they could play in em buy everytime they would it was a nail biter lol so I decided to give a try on my own suit but wanted to find a better way n yes i found it lol

Doc u do great work, I just love the fact that u actually figured out how to harden the out side of foam in a cheap way. You have saved me money and time thanks a billion.

no problem :)

ok Im a man of my word n you guys asked for tut so your gettin one lol. Just bare wit me i did mine fast for this tutorial and got home late and thought I still had red paint but i had a can wit tiny bit left n got every last drop n barely got one coat wit some splatter but still came out awesome so when you do your take your time n give time to let dry. before you start try to get your piece as clean as possilble like remove excess glue also try to make it as best you can with the seams until i come up wit somthin for that which im doin right now also. Im not holding back any info this is exactly how I do it so if ya have any questions refer back to this page. And its pic heavy....remember follow it exactly :)

Make sure your in a well ventilated area and wear respirator

Step 1. Heat sealing the foam. If you dont have one you can try a blow drier. Heat but dont burn it just till foam looks like it has glitter on it. Do it twice but let cool in between.

Step 2. Modpodge time. Coat as needed but no less then 3 coats. Look closely at the foam coat until pores are filled. The pores on the foam are the little dots on it that absorbthe coating. Youll know when sealed good when no more dots And have shine like. Let dry for 30 min

Step 3. plastic dip 2 to 3 coats. no less then 2.follow directions on label for amount of time to wait in between coats.

Step 4. Adhesion promoter 2 coats and let dry.

Step 5. Filler primer. Heres where youll be able to tell if ya followed directions cuz itll be really flexible. After the first coat ya can lightly wet sand with 800 grit. If not proceed to next step. If you sanded make sure its cleaned before next coat.

Last edited:
Re: ironman with rondo, tutorial for painting foam thats flexible and show quality

That's really great mate, can't wait to see you method !

Re: ironman with rondo, tutorial for painting foam thats flexible and show quality

Step 6. Paint foam. Preferrably a duplicolor paint but if ya cant find your color any paint shoud be fine. The first pic is of it painted only with barely one coat. didnt have enough oops lol but paint your with 2 coats and let dry after and in between.

Step 7. Is the cherry on top. 2 coats of that glaze it will make it scratch resistant and super shiny. I put examples of how flexible it is and returns back to its original form. Wait about a week then wetsand with 2000 for smoothin out any orangepeel if ya have some . Then polish compound, wax n buff n it should be oh so smooth n shiny like a brand new car lol n thats it your done.. pretty easy huh...enjoy :cool

Now all ya'll should have awesome finishes. Im Docholiday n this is how I operate ;)

Re: foam with rondo+ plus new method thats flexible, shiny, resists cracks and wrinkl

Thanks for the awesome tutorial.

One question. Would using Elmer's glue to seal work in place of the Mod Podge? I ask because I have a gallon of the stuff and I'd love to use it if I can.

Great work.

-Jeff

Re: foam with rondo+ plus new method thats flexible, shiny, resists cracks and wrinkl

Thanks for the awesome tutorial.

One question. Would using Elmer's glue to seal work in place of the Mod Podge? I ask because I have a gallon of the stuff and I'd love to use it if I can.

Great work.

-Jeff

Thank, elmers glue is not recommended for sealing srry. You wont get the same results Ive tried it. I also tried pva n just plastic dip by itself for sealing and paint would either get wrinkles or hairline cracks in it. This method was the only way I got the results I was lookin for.

Thank, elmers glue is not recommended for sealing srry. You wont get the same results Ive tried it. I also tried pva n just plastic dip by itself for sealing and paint would either get wrinkles or hairline cracks in it. This method was the only way I got the results I was lookin for.

Thanks for the info.

Anybody want to buy a gallon of Elmer's Glue???

j/k

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back