doc holliday's cup from tombstone. research thread.

i like it.

like we were talking in the pm, until we can find a rose pattern to put in the outside ring that looks good.

Tombstone_Doc_Holliday_Whiskey_Cup_05.jpg

One final critique. I think the widening of the handle is good, but I think it needs to start a little further back (at the top and bottom) and that it needs to be a little more smooth of a transition at the widest point and not quite so pointy. Otherwise, fantastic!

The film cup looks more like a one piece machined aluminum version, probably made for the movie. I've got a collection of antique pewter and tin cups I use for re-enactments, and the style and color doesn't match anything I've seen before. Also reminds me of Armitale by Wilton, a pewter copy popular in the the 70's.
If these are getting made, count me in!

Hi!
The cup did collapse. I made it, and my Dad engraved it. It took a long time to figure out the telescoping feature. We made a total of four cups, two each of two different sizes. The first pair, made to the prop guy's specifications, was too big and hit Kilmer's hand when he spun it.

WOW!!!! That is awesome! So glad you found us and could share this!

Hi!
The cup did collapse. I made it, and my Dad engraved it. It took a long time to figure out the telescoping feature. We made a total of four cups, two each of two different sizes. The first pair, made to the prop guy's specifications, was too big and hit Kilmer's hand when he spun it.

Hi!

wow!!! i stand corrected!!! please make more!!!! i want one.......

did val have any problems spinning the cup due to the light weight of the cup??

the one i had made was pretty heavy but it helps when you spin the cup because of the weight. if the cup is too light the cup does not want spin right.

I thought I would note that years ago I read an interview with Kilmer about his career and the movie "Tombstone" specifically. It was either in "True West Magazine" or "Cowboys & Indians", but I can't remember which. He noted that the prop cup was just a little too lightweight to do the flipping scene effectively, so they added some unseen putty to the inside for extra weight. It let him get some extra inertia so he could practice and perform the scene.

That cup is gorgeous for a prop. Cupsmith, you and your dad did beautiful work and I hope we see you chime in here again with more info, photos, and perhaps contact information. Considering Tombstone's enduring cult status, I suspect you would have no trouble finding some customers.

Here are pics of my cup. I made it from a collapsible cup. I cut a strip of aluminum and bent it to make the handle. It's attached with JB Weld. It works "good enough" but I'd like to have a nicer one.

IMG_0259.jpg

IMG_0260.jpg

IMG_0261.jpg

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back