Do we know who built Obi-Wan's saber?

It’s possible that the exposed threads of the grenade neck were sharp and cut Alec’s fingers up, and he asked them to rework that aspect of the prop. I naturally put my index finger right at that point of the saber when holding it.

I can see why the angled top lip of the grenade would be stuck in the clamp when assembled backwards, it gives a more cylindrical shape to the lightsaber to have the sharp edged circle top instead of a faded/angled grenade top.

I didn’t mean to imply that you did make a definitive statement, my second sentence was meant as a qualifier for my first. Meaning I believe it to be theoretical because I’ve been burned by new information before. Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence like the new tiny rivets between the grips of the ANH Luke saber that were recently discovered.
No worries. I took it the way you meant it. Totally on the same page.

I can see why the angled top lip of the grenade would be stuck in the clamp when assembled backwards, it gives a more cylindrical shape to the lightsaber to have the sharp edged circle top instead of a faded/angled grenade top.
And that is probably what they were going for but the threads sticking out most likely bugged them and definitely AG just like scarf man brought up.

I can see why the angled top lip would be stuck in the clamp when assembled backwards, it gives a more cylindrical shape to the lightsaber to have the sharp edged circle top instead of a faded/angled grenade top.
Agreed, I was just thinking about the aesthetics of the prop, and the flipped grenade works kind of well if it weren’t for the exposed threads.

You know what's super cool? I just took apart my Romans Empire Obi-Wan saber and just now discovered he threaded both ends of the grenade so you can assemble his replica either way.
That is nice, russrep’s grenade is the same in that regard, albeit wrong in the frag dimensions. I think serafino designed the “big bottom” of the russrep grenade that way as a means to an end with the empty clamp theory in mind.

Last edited:
Because all Stunt Obi Saber wooden master was made with the angled grenade top in the correct-for-the-grenade orientation and all the Obi stunt casts have the same chamfered top ring I do think that is/was supposed to be the 'correct' set-up. I (personally) think the Tunsia configuration was either an early set-up or a mistake.

Because all Stunt Obi Saber wooden master was made with the angled grenade top in the correct-for-the-grenade orientation and all the Obi stunt casts have the same chamfered top ring I do think that is/was supposed to be the 'correct' set-up. I (personally) think the Tunsia configuration was either an early set-up or a mistake.
That makes a heap of sense logically.

I wonder if the real prop's frag body could have had a stem in each end: one outside and one inside the clamp.

The bottom one could then have worked as an adaptor for a bolt inserted through the sink knob, I think.
Would a wind vane fit inside, or even supported the clamp?

Last edited:
You know what's super cool? I just took apart my Romans Empire Obi-Wan saber and just now discovered he threaded both ends of the grenade so you can assemble his replica either way.

The real grenades have the same thread on both ends too.

Easier tooling that way. Don’t have to change any tools or speeds on the lathe, just flip it around and thread it

I don’t think there is any reason for flipping the grenade besides the prop team taking it apart and not noticing there’s two different styles on the ends.

Starkiller has a old thread I read awhile ago where he goes into detail on this

He did some research and some hales have a flat top to it..

It was a good read. I still don’t believe that grenade is the flat top variant because the flat top the thread is flush inside.. when you flip a Obi grenade when you thread the windvane in, it stills out alittle

Just a Halliwax theory...

I still think something funny is going on with the BP to Grenade neck attachment. It's not a pressure fit or nuts and bolts. It looks solid, like I can't see up into the BP. Also, very crooked.

some hales have a flat top to it..
large_000000.jpg

Even if they did have one of these on the Tunisia saber, I'm inclined to believe that they still had the neck screwed in to the wrong end of the frag body (the red end in this painted example) in Tunisia. As pointed out earlier, when the neck is screwed in to the wrong end of the frag body, the neck won't go in deep enough to hide all of the threads; and there is photographic evidence that seems to show the Tunisia saber had extra threads showing around the base of the neck. Perhaps the prop makers had a grenade with a frag body like the one in this photo, took that one fully apart, and then accidentally re-assembled it the wrong way around, without realizing. (Having a frag body with two square ends would make that accident more likely to happen.)

Either way, I'm inclined to believe that they built more than one OWK saber, but maybe only one of the ones that they built was accidentally assembled with the neck on the wrong end of the grenade frag body. Perhaps when a prop manager was packing up props to bring to Tunisia, they thought to themselves, "We won't need any close-up shots for the OWK saber outdoors on Tatooine. Which of these multiple sabers should we bring to Tunisia? I know. I'll bring this one here - the one with a more square end on the frag body compared to the other(s) - because it looks worse than the other one(s). It has a few threads sticking out. I don't know why, but who cares? I'm not going to try to figure out why it looks different than the other ones. No one will notice. I'll save the better-looking one(s) for the indoor close-up shooting, when we return to England."

Last edited:
And there is this. I wanted to bring this back up. Thank you for the pic. I was looking for it. It's a possibility but i do see the chamfer end in the clamp. I think the frag body was just flipped. Does it make sense? Maybe. We do see that they did not put the hand wheel back together in its tight fitting state. (Cubes flipped) in the chronicles. Why they did that i dont know. Not paying attention to how the hand wheel goes back together? maybe. Were they on drugs? Probably. Who knows what they were thinking.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back