Do I Need A Serger?

E-Wan

Sr Member
Hey gang - I'm trying to take my sewing to the next level and create clothing that's a little more sturdy than the usual con/halloween costumes I make, so I'm thinking of getting a serger for nice finished edges and making stuff that doesn't explode in the wash.

Do you recommend getting a serger and if so, what brands and prices should I be looking at?

I have one sewing with nancy is the name it's a ez lock great price. I thiink its a 2,3,4 so you can sew with two thread three thread or four and it came with a dvd and accessories.

Sergers are certainly the most professional way to do this, however, you can do something that works with your sewing machine which is using a zigzag stitch on the loose ends of the unfinished fabric. Serging simply keeps the fabric ends from fraying and makes them more durable.

The beauty of the serging machine is that it also cuts off excess frayed fabric at the same instant it's placing the stitching. So it's a win win situation.

Dave :)

Yeah it finishes the edges of the fabric as it sews, but if you need to rip out a seam? You are out of luck.

I typically use French seams when I sew.

Lynn

I would ask yourself.

Do you really need it or just want one?
Do you have enough for one? The one I bought was about the cheapest available at that time.
Is your stuff coming apart because of the thread you used not good enough. Using the right type of thread for your fabric is important too. Cheap thread sometimes just breaks easily.
Will you be using it more then a few times a year? I really understand not having to go to a seamstress to have something sewn up and then they messed up and you still have to fix it because you don't feel like going beck to them to have it corrected.
I use my regular sewing machine and then my serger. The seams are really strong.

Tony

Good advice guys, thanks very much.

I sew fairly regularly as a hobby - mostly making costumes. I can't really justify spending huge amounts of money on costume pieces that get worn once a year, but I love buying fabric and working for 6 months to make something for myself.

I'm thinking of trying to pick up a cheap one on Craigslist or eBay.

I've had an old Baby Lock for years and just love it! A hint though, take a sharpie & put little marks by the factory tension settings. That will help if they get out of alignment in the future. Anther hint- read the manual carefully. (RTFM) :D
Another thing for those might be reading & don't know already - 'Serging' is the act of cutting (trimming to the sewn edge of the stitch) that the machine does as you sew, not the actual name for the stitch which is (usually) 'overlock stitch'. I've heard folks confuse the two. On most machines you can use 3 or 4 threads -the 4th is the extra straight stitch that reinforces the overlock.
Mine also has the option of not serging -raising the razor blade & just doing a rolled overlock.

If you're wanting finished edges without a hassle, then yes totally get one. If you don't mind doing the finishing with a sewing machine and scissors then you can get by, but the serger would still do a better, more efficient job.
I would say if you're just making costumes, it's a luxury. If you're making clothes, it's a necessity

Two years ago I would have said, "WHAT?"

But now it is two years later and (1) I know what a serger is and (2) if you can afford it buy it!

You definitely have to out way the financial costs though. Will you be buying one to create costumes for yourself? Will you be able to make up some of the cost by making costume pieces to sell?

Just a few things to think about!

Whatever you do don't buy a Singer or Brother brand serger. They're crap.

Brother, I'll agree with. Singer, depends if you're buying new, or an older machine. The new stuff is just cashing in on what was a good name. If you go old enough that they actually still are made of metal, they're like tanks.

My girlfriend's mother swears by Pfaff and Husqvarna Viking.

Thanks everyone again for the advice!

Has anyone used one of the Pfaff Hobby Sergers? They are little and super cheap!

My next project is a Ten suit! :)

Then I'd definitely recommend it. I used one on my Ten suit pants. Just a word of advice: NEVER let anyone use it on one of your projects, especially if you're running low on extra material. I have a patch in the inseam of my Ten pants courtesy of the careless seamstress that helped me finish them on time for the con.

Brother, I'll agree with. Singer, depends if you're buying new, or an older machine.

Agreed. I have an older model singer that works beautifully. I only wish it had another spool.

My next project is a Ten suit! :)

You'll definitely need it for the pants. The jacket is mostly internal seams that don't need extra finishing, but pants are always serger worthy.

This info has mostly been mentioned already, but the teacher in me wants to reiterate. I teach sewing and costume construction and serger is part of that.

What a serger does is essentially bind the edges of the fabric with what we call an OVERLOCK stitch that keeps the material from fraying. This is especially helpful for machine washables and is more durable than the alternative; using pinking shears (scissors with the little angle teeth on them). Though pinking sheers are a necessity when you want to reduce bulk (serger leaves a heavier seam). But that's another lesson.

Most domestic sewing machines have an overlock stitch function on them, but they go very slowly because they pretty much move one step forward and two back. A serger is nice because you can whip through a 32" inseam in 5-10 seconds as opposed to 5 minutes on the overlock setting on your sewing machine.

So do you need one? The answer is: you could live without it, but why would you want to? My advice would be to try to get hold of one on the cheap through seconhand (craigslist, etc.) and see how you like it. Then in the future, if you decide to upgrade, you can. Though you may just get a gem on craigslist and never need to.

The next bit is the number of spools. Sergers come in a variety of setups. anywhere from 2-4 spools on domestic machines and more on industrials (had a 6 spool at my last summer job). 2 spools are less common and not that fancy. they just bind the edge and done. 3 spools do the same but with greater efficiency and are the most common style available. They often also come with a capability to do a baby roll hem, which is practical for delicate fabrics. A 4 spool has an extra spool that puts an extra straight stitch inside the serging line. This is especially practical for sewing stretch fabrics. The preferred method actually. Regular sewing machines aren't ideal for stretch because the stitch you use does not have stretch to it, so it stops the fabric from doing what it wants to do. I could go on. And on.

I would try for a 4 spool because you can always remove one spool and a needle to use it like a 3 spool serger. But unless you sew alot of spandex, you can live without the extra spool. It would just be nice option to have.

Alot of info here. Just wanted to be clear about what your options were. Again, you awoke the teacher in me I suppose. The most important thing to take from this though:

Secondhand is your friend when dealing with sewing machines. You usually end up with older, sturdier models for cheaper.

Agreed. I have an older model singer that works beautifully. I only wish it had another spool.

You'll definitely need it for the pants. The jacket is mostly internal seams that don't need extra finishing, but pants are always serger worthy.

This info has mostly been mentioned already, but the teacher in me wants to reiterate. I teach sewing and costume construction and serger is part of that.

What a serger does is essentially bind the edges of the fabric with what we call an OVERLOCK stitch that keeps the material from fraying. This is especially helpful for machine washables and is more durable than the alternative; using pinking shears (scissors with the little angle teeth on them). Though pinking sheers are a necessity when you want to reduce bulk (serger leaves a heavier seam). But that's another lesson.

Most domestic sewing machines have an overlock stitch function on them, but they go very slowly because they pretty much move one step forward and two back. A serger is nice because you can whip through a 32" inseam in 5-10 seconds as opposed to 5 minutes on the overlock setting on your sewing machine.

So do you need one? The answer is: you could live without it, but why would you want to? My advice would be to try to get hold of one on the cheap through seconhand (craigslist, etc.) and see how you like it. Then in the future, if you decide to upgrade, you can. Though you may just get a gem on craigslist and never need to.

The next bit is the number of spools. Sergers come in a variety of setups. anywhere from 2-4 spools on domestic machines and more on industrials (had a 6 spool at my last summer job). 2 spools are less common and not that fancy. they just bind the edge and done. 3 spools do the same but with greater efficiency and are the most common style available. They often also come with a capability to do a baby roll hem, which is practical for delicate fabrics. A 4 spool has an extra spool that puts an extra straight stitch inside the serging line. This is especially practical for sewing stretch fabrics. The preferred method actually. Regular sewing machines aren't ideal for stretch because the stitch you use does not have stretch to it, so it stops the fabric from doing what it wants to do. I could go on. And on.

I would try for a 4 spool because you can always remove one spool and a needle to use it like a 3 spool serger. But unless you sew alot of spandex, you can live without the extra spool. It would just be nice option to have.

Alot of info here. Just wanted to be clear about what your options were. Again, you awoke the teacher in me I suppose. The most important thing to take from this though:

Secondhand is your friend when dealing with sewing machines. You usually end up with older, sturdier models for cheaper.

Can you recommend any brands? Perhaps which ones to stay away from? I'm in the market for a serger, as well. I'm not sure which brands to take seriously. I use a Husqavarna Viking for my basic sewing. I didn't know if anyone thought their sergers were worth it?

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back