DIY Studio Scale AT-AT tutorials and free templates interest

Sergiotron

Hi everybody!

As some of you know, I'm pretty good at making printable templates for several subjects, like my Clone Trooper Armor and my DC-17 Hand Blasters, but I was thinking about using this knowledge for scale models. That's what gave me an idea: Make and share printable templates for building a fairly easy to make, accurate and studio scale size AT-AT, with its respective YouTube tutorials.

So, if I succeed by making these templates, would anybody here be interested in following my process and maybe try to make his own at home?

My goal is to make the basic shape and proportions as accurate as possible, and leave the greeblies to people's preference, using whatever they can find at home.

So, what do you think? Interested? :)

Last edited:
Having templates would be great! I assume for MDF cutting?

R/ Robert

Hmm, not really. They are more like blueprints that are real size once you print them, so you can transfer the pattern to any material you want. I'll use polystyrene sheets.

Who wouldn't be interested by a AT-AT template? :)
I see your point, but the purpose of the question is to know if there are people who are actually interested in using them :p
I've collected a lot of templates, blueprints, pepakura files, etc, but to be honest I know I won't build the 95% of them :D

Hmm, not really. They are more like blueprints that are real size once you print them, so you can transfer the pattern to any material you want. I'll use polystyrene sheets.

I see your point, but the purpose of the question is to know if there are people who are actually interested in using them :p
I've collected a lot of templates, blueprints, pepakura files, etc, but to be honest I know I won't build the 95% of them :D

I'm not sure I'll use it in the minute. I may wait a year or two before starting this one.

I would love to do a project like this with me son. We are already doing the Falcon project, which is my favorite ship, but the AT-AT is his. Do you have a little sample for us??

I would love to do a project like this with me son. We are already doing the Falcon project, which is my favorite ship, but the AT-AT is his. Do you have a little sample for us??
Not yet. I've started an extensive research about the subject, but I'm pretty confident it will work out :)
Maybe in a couple of weeks I'll be ready to make the first test.

I'd be interested in a studio scale one, but I'd really love to scale the templates down to help scratch build a 1/72 one. Shouldn't be too hard, just would have to figure out the percentage to shrink the printout

At a 22.5 meter height, I believe a Studio Scale AT-AT is about 19" tall which would come very close to 1/48 (I think 1/46 to 1/47). Come to think of it that would be perfect for the Fine Molds or Bandai 1/48 speeders

Any new progress to share with us ? if you do supply templates for a ss AT-AT I am ready to start this build now! Also your blaster templates are awesome!

I would be interested also. Though I would love digital files for the templates. I am planning to scratch build an AT-AT but using my 3d printer to print the parts and I am going to model it in May first. But the first stage is getting the proportions figures out. So this could prove very helpful for that!

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back