DIY printable water slide decals?

DarthMut

I was wondering if you can buy special computer printing paper for making your own water slide decals. Does anyone know of a brand or has experience with decals this way?

Thanks!

H.

I've tried it before - and as of about 18 months ago, it didn't work very well.

First, one type of paper I used didn't accept the ink well - it seemed to "bead up" and smear.

Another type seemed to take the ink OK, but after I sprayed it with fixative and applied the decal, it looked OK, but a problem occurred if there were any sharp details on the model.

The problem is that inkjet ink is not as flexible as commercial decal ink. The ink would "break" along sharp lines or details, and you would get a break in the color.

Now, things may have gotten better in the last year and a half, but that was my experience with waterslide inkjet decals.

Sorry I can't give you specifics in terms of brand names of paper, but that was my experience in general.

Rob

</SPAN><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
Sandcrawler Guy wrote:
<HR></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
The ink would "break" along sharp lines or details, and you would get a break in the color.
</TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><SPAN CLASS=$row_color>

So if the surface would be just a flat surface it would work fine?

You have to get or get someone who has an ALPs printer. I've done water sldie decals for many kits. My friend also. PM me with what you are looking to do.

M

the millennium group wrote:
You have to get or get someone who has an ALPs printer. </TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><SPAN CLASS=$row_color>

A particular ALPS model or any ALPs printer? Which one do you have or recommend? What sets them apart from other brands?

I've been making my own decal's
now for 2 year's... With the newer
types of paper out there you don't
" have " to have an Alp's printer.

I just use an HP inkjet for my
printing need's...
icon_wink.gif

You just need one that has a GOOD resolution
for printing. I print mine at 2400 X 1200
and get great result's ! What also is very much
need is a GOOD Paint program if your making up
somethign from SCRATCH ! The less "jaggies" in
an image to print the better!
icon_wink.gif

BTW, the BEST paper I have found for
this is here..

http://www.bare-metal.com/

EXPERTS-CHOICE™ DECAL FILM SHEETS

I have used the many different types and
THIS paper is the best for actually
" HOLDING " onto the ink after it's printed !

You need to spray the paper after the ink has
dried to seal the image TO the paper. The amount
of spray you put on it will determine the
decal's "thickness" and how well it goes
over curves on a model.

If the surface was flat, it should be OK. I'd get several different types of decal paper and see which works best. Some recommend using a Krylon clear fixative, others have their own proprietary fixative.

My biggest problem was decaling over details.

Rob

Wolvster1 wrote:
http://www.bare-metal.com/

EXPERTS-CHOICE™ DECAL FILM SHEETS
</TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><SPAN CLASS=$row_color>

Wolvster, what an interesting website! Thanks a lot for the link!

Sorry but the ALPS is a dyesub printer. Continuous tone and thermal transfer. Inkjets can do them but with limited success. Companies like Federation Models sell examples of ALPS printed decals. You can print foils, metallics and colors with the ALPS.
ALPS MD series does the job. The MD-5000 runs around $600.00 and does photo printing and all the other goodies you would expect from a dyesub printer.

M

Just to clear up a point, the Alps 5000 can be a dye sub printer with the upgrade. Usually it's not and you don't need the upgrade to print decals. I've been printing decals for the last two years or more on a MD5000. Down side is Alps can no longer sell them in the US due to a contract with Epson so you have to find one on the secondary market. I have bought two on ebay. Alps will still repair them for a $350 flat charge. Inks seem to still be easily available.

When making decals which will be put on a dark surfce it is necessary to print a white layer first then your colors over it otherwise they will disappear when applied. And yes, the Alps does print white.

As mentioned previously, the Alps also prints silver and gold metallic and gold and silver foil. Metallic colors are available but I haven't used them. There are also primer coats and finish coats depending on the print job.

The printer is not fast as the paper is required to pass through the printer once for each color printed. Regular color requires 4 passes once each for Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and Black.

Vector based graphics work best, no pixelation. I use Adobe Illustrator.
Don C.

Ummm, I have an Alps, and I don't think I'm ever going to use it again. I used to be a graphics pro, but gave it up, and don't see ever getting the ink ribbon carts anymore, much less the paper. I just have little to no use for it.

PM me if you're interested.

-E

This thread is more than 19 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back