DISTRICT 9 ASSUALT RIFLE - exo suit version completed

thanks guys, i must admit i do prefer this gun to the standard one, its a lot more aesthetically pleasing to the eye (imho)

the markings were done with rub down letraset, the "snot" is 2 part epoxy glue with various colours tinted in such as tamiya clear yellow/orange and some tamiya buff.

the strap on the canister is functional as it extends in to the grip and is pinned, the small canisters that run along the top gradually fade to blue the further back they go also
top of the large canister has been tinted blue as well (tamiya clear blue) can't really make it out in the pics. i have one attached with a flash that shows it better.

i have another conversion (SMG) to do but this one took the wind out of my sails a little.

it might be a bit of a wait for that one.

cheers

-z

Last edited:
Very nice bit of modding, and the paint job is top notch! Someone should point this thread out to the WETA folks. I'm sure they'd get a kick out of it.

Curse you Zorg, been waiting on this thread and when it finally goes up I missed it! :lol

Naturally I officially hate you now, since you beat me to the punch so comprehensively on the conversion. :p I guess I'll have to order another AR and beat YOU to the SMG. Yeah right...I'm way too slow. :)

Anyway, that's an epic job and it's nice to see it get a good reception. Definitely the best of the AR family. :thumbsup

I dont know, it looks all beat to hell and back. Certainly you wouldn't want to display it looking like that? How embarrasing. Let me know how much postage is and i can dispose of it for you in an environmentally safe manner - that leakage could cost you no end of legal complications otherwise..

Ha. That is a very, very SWEET job. Congrats, it looks bloody fantastic! :)

Curse you Zorg, been waiting on this thread and when it finally goes up I missed it! :lol

Naturally I officially hate you now, since you beat me to the punch so comprehensively on the conversion. :p I guess I'll have to order another AR and beat YOU to the SMG. Yeah right...I'm way too slow. :)

Anyway, that's an epic job and it's nice to see it get a good reception. Definitely the best of the AR family. :thumbsup

hee hee, i thought you would like it martyn.

i know your back problem has slowed you down but hopefully you will be up to speed as fast as possible. lets see that gas generator finished ;)

have you seen the white paint job version? looks pretty sweet.

it was all your cutting and hacking in previous d9 gun threads that inspired me to have a go myself.

@rollerboi

i'm just going to hang onto it, i'll hide it in a shack hopefully nobody sees the state of it. thanks for the offer though:lol :thumbsup

-z

Ha. I now have a shack's worth of these things. :) I nearly picked up a second Gas Projector, to do the orange scheme on it.

White paint version???

Yeah, the GP is actually pretty close to done. I need to thin down some orange stripes and finish some chipping and that's about it. I did get further with it than my last pics...I think about a couple of hours would sort it out.

And thanks for the inspiration credit, but you've completely surpassed my efforts! :)

i will be back in a mo with the white GP pic.

i know its only a miniature but its still nicely done and a nice custom paint job too
11-08-201103-58-04.jpg

his other guns can be found here,
http://shop.ebay.com/phantom_green/m.html?_trksid=p4340.l2562

he actually beat me to the exo suit conversion ;)

-z

Last edited:
I keep coming back to this thread. That is some crazy-ass workmanship! I'm a sucker for weathering, but, daaaaaaaaamn! :thumbsup

That's weird. It's a white version of the concept art paint scheme that the GP shipped with. Really well done but since there's a semi-canonical alternative colour scheme, why not use that one? I guess it's the appeal of the what-if. It really is nice, thanks for that!

BTW, any thoughts of doing a build thread or paint tutorial at some point? I'm a manky painter and would LOVE to know more about your techniques.

i don't claim to be the worlds best painter (certainly not on here anyway) but would do a tutorial if folks thought they could benifit from it.

i do like to share. its how i am where i am by others such as cyberman graciously offering techniques and know how.

i couldn't claim to get you to the stage of the exo suit gun but i could show you how. its a matter of practise makes perfect.

putting silver blobs everywhere isn't enough, its knowing where to put them and how much and what shape.

some of the chipping is not where i would have put it but i did try and follow some of the pics weta released. i did so much then thought **** it i'll just do my own thing.

again thanks for the comments

-z

Nwerke, if you're a wanky painter then I'm a complete 2 year old! :lol

I'd love some kind of tutorial as well, so many things to be painted in this "beat up" other worldly style.

Nwerke, if you're a wanky painter then I'm a complete 2 year old! :lol

I'd love some kind of tutorial as well, so many things to be painted in this "beat up" other worldly style.

:lol i think he said manky.

wanky has a whole different meaning in the u.k. at least

-z

The weathering and the seeping biosludge gives that "stolen off the set" look. Most fans would have had to add all that detail with other props. If you had told me this was a movie original, without careful comparison or knowledge of the screen-used, I'd probably believe you.

:lol:lol

That's what you get for fast typing...

I guess "wonky" would've been better than wanky...

"No more yanky my wanky...the donger need food!"

:lol i think he said manky.

wanky has a whole different meaning in the u.k. at least

-z

I want one of these so bad. What's the scale on it?

1:1

Heavier than ****, too.

Such a cool conversion, the whole controversy over screen used vs. not used is lame.

You know who else on the planet (other than Weta) has that version of the AR?

That's some rarefied air right there.

The hardcore D9 fans know exactly what that gun is and how cool it is.

Again, nice work and :thumbsup

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back