Disney wants more 'Star Wars' in its theme parks

I'm at Disney, now. Star Wars Land I have no interest in as nothing in it, except the Falcon, has actually been IN a Star Wars movie. Rian Johnson must have designed it.
You just hit on my biggest issue with the new Star Wars Land - why didn't they use ANY of the iconic Star Wars locations when designing the park??? No Tatooine, Hoth, Bespin, Death Star, Endor, Jakku, Coruscant - nothing familiar. What is the draw to go there, wait in ungodly long lines, just to walk around a bunch of stuff that has no nostalgia to it - besides seeing a Falcon? What are they thinking?

At that i really fear they're going to name it Rey's Falcon at at that.

I find it very odd to tie the park to a set of movies that has not generated a huge following of their own.

At that i really fear they're going to name it Rey's Falcon at at that.

I find it very odd to tie the park to a set of movies that has not generated a huge following of their own.

You mean the way they named the Skywalker lightsaber, "Rey's Lightsaber"? I saw that on the shelf and was shocked. I mean, she had the saber for all of a few days. Why not christen it as hers?

As an aside, I was here the same time last year and it seemed every kid had a toy lightsaber. They were everywhere. This year, not so much. There is lots of Star Wars crap on the shelves. No shortage of merchandise. I just don't see the flood of waving blades like last year.

So to me, going through Toy Story Land, it felt very small. While there were still a ton of people, it was nothing like the actual opening day where it took hours just for people to get it. Well, Toy Story Land is 11 acres. I read that this new Star Wars Land is 14 acres, which is not much bigger....so its just going to be a chaotic mess when they open. Someone would be best to wait a year or so before even trying to go there.

You just hit on my biggest issue with the new Star Wars Land - why didn't they use ANY of the iconic Star Wars locations when designing the park??? No Tatooine, Hoth, Bespin, Death Star, Endor, Jakku, Coruscant - nothing familiar. What is the draw to go there, wait in ungodly long lines, just to walk around a bunch of stuff that has no nostalgia to it - besides seeing a Falcon? What are they thinking?

The thinking is that they introduce new planets in every film. If you tie the land to one planet, then it gets to the point that it is no longer relevant to the target audience. Creating a planet specifically for the land, means it can last a lot longer.

Admittedly, there aren't many existing outdoor film locations you can emulate that people will readily identify with and flock to for decades. Just looking at the OT locales, you have tat, yavin, hoth, tat again, and endor.. None of which seem a good locale for a park setting. Most settings (death star, SD, bespin, etc) that are easily visually identifiable are all indoors and nearly impossible to do as an outdoor park.

What would be cool is that if they took one of the resorts and themed each section as a planet. Instead of a Fantasia or Toy Story Room at All Star Movies, you get a Hoth or Tatooine room. The food court would be the Death Star Cafeteria. :)

If I could get a drink at the Mos Eisley cantina I'd be interested. At my age with my kid almost grown I don't have much interest in amusement parks anymore. Jakku won't cut it for me. Besides, Seattle already has a Jakku house. ;)

This. I want to experience something from ANH.

I don't see why Disney would need to label a park area with one specific fictional SW location and hold strictly to it.

The same swampy forest area could hold stuff that is themed from Dagobah, Yavin, Naboo, Endor, etc. A desert area could be both Tatoonie and Jakku. BFD. People aren't gonna mind.

Does the average Joe citizen even remember that Jakku wasn't Tatooine in the fiction?

More than anything else, though I think Star Wars = north-African-looking desert. This is what the name of the franchise conjures up in people's minds first and foremost. All three trilogies have started off in a desert location. They visited a rocky brown planet in Rogue One. There was a sandy beach scene Solo. Etc. If Disney's park builders need to decide on a dominant outdoor climate for SW-land, it's this one.

Last edited:
Theres plenty of desert here in az.

And when people tell me it's a dry heat, I tell the so is fire.

Hot is hot.

Coming from the area of heat and humidity - it's not the same.

Spent a couple weeks in vegas ages ago. Went out for the whole afternoon in jeans and a long sleeve shirt - sleeves down. Walked up and down the street on a bright sunny day. I was out there in the sun for hours.

That night, the news was one and the anchors were joking about the heat of the day which had me puzzled as it didn't think it was very hot. They toss it over to the weatherman who said it was a scorcher at 105. My reaction was there simply was no way. I should have been burning up if that was the case. I headed out at noonish, parked at Treasure Island and walked down to Luxor and over back down the other side. Got back to TI around 6:30. I hit the peak of the heat.

The app on phone now is giving the humidity on the notification panel...the last couple weeks seeing 95 degrees and 60-70%+ humidity on a sunny day is common. I'd much rather have that 105 day from vegas.

Coming from the area of heat and humidity - it's not the same.

Spent a couple weeks in vegas ages ago. Went out for the whole afternoon in jeans and a long sleeve shirt - sleeves down. Walked up and down the street on a bright sunny day. I was out there in the sun for hours.

That night, the news was one and the anchors were joking about the heat of the day which had me puzzled as it didn't think it was very hot. They toss it over to the weatherman who said it was a scorcher at 105. My reaction was there simply was no way. I should have been burning up if that was the case. I headed out at noonish, parked at Treasure Island and walked down to Luxor and over back down the other side. Got back to TI around 6:30. I hit the peak of the heat.

The app on phone now is giving the humidity on the notification panel...the last couple weeks seeing 95 degrees and 60-70%+ humidity on a sunny day is common. I'd much rather have that 105 day from vegas.
Haven't been out west too much in the summer, but I'll be moving to Idaho in a few months, of course I'll be missing the summer, but going from Florida to Idaho is going to be such a huge change for me. I saw their humidity was like 15% the other day.....while ours was about 95% at 8 in the morning.
I've said this for years now....if I could go back in time.....and theres a whole lot I'd like to change, but one would be to sway Walt Disney to build somewhere other than Florida.

It was 115 here yesterday. That 10 degrees can make a difference too. The air just burns the lungs.
I can't disagree with that. It was 114°F here on Friday (southern California, about 15 miles east of downtown Los Angeles) and even in the shade it was just plain hot. That said, I've been in Redlands (California) when it was 120°F but dry, and a few hours later I was in Pomona (California) where it was 90°F but very humid. Between the two, I'll take "hot and dry" over "less hot but humid" every time.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back