Disguise Captain America Shield - Help?

AsgardAssassin

Hi Guys

Living in the UK I was eager to get a cap shield to just use to display along with Mjolnir and an Iron Man Helmet, so I looked on ebay and bought a Disguise Shield.

Its the most recent one, with the deeper colours (which are dull and poor and I need to find anodised paint in the UK)

Anyway, I received the item and it is shocking in quality... I kinda half expected it so please don't call me a dumb ass! :lol

Anyways, I would wondering if anyone would have any simple ideas to strengthen it up. My brain is fried!

Ultimately, I either put a bit of money into it or send it back!

Any thoughts are most welcome!

For the stunt show I did, I had to throw the shield at one point... luckily before and after the throw, I had to exit the stage.. so it gave me time to switch shields from my aluminum one... so I bought two of Disguise shields, and glued them together, with a tiny bit of aluminum structure in between. I also repainted the whole shield to match the look of the aluminum as close as I could. Results.. everyone thought I threw my aluminum shield, including the person I was throwing it at (or near I should say, downstage), and it freaked everyone out, lol. And it flew so well, that it just kept going and going... ended up flying over 80 yards... (stage was only 50 feet, lol) and I didn't throw it as hard as I could :)

What material is it made out of? possibly you could resin the crap out of it?

It is a plastic shield. It was described as hard so I thought it would be fairly rigid, but there is a whole lot of flex! It might be worth a shot as nobody will see the back!

For the stunt show I did, I had to throw the shield at one point... luckily before and after the throw, I had to exit the stage.. so it gave me time to switch shields from my aluminum one... so I bought two of Disguise shields, and glued them together, with a tiny bit of aluminum structure in between. I also repainted the whole shield to match the look of the aluminum as close as I could. Results.. everyone thought I threw my aluminum shield, including the person I was throwing it at (or near I should say, downstage), and it freaked everyone out, lol. And it flew so well, that it just kept going and going... ended up flying over 80 yards... (stage was only 50 feet, lol) and I didn't throw it as hard as I could :)

That would of scared the crap out of me! I would love a metal one but I don't have the money or no of anybody in the UK. Buying an extra one to stiffen it up is probably going overboard for my display purpose!
I am curious however as to what paints are accessible in the UK to best colour match. I have seen your work Chris and it is awesome. :thumbsup

I did a base flat black, with a metallic chrome over it. On top of the chrome, i did the tamiya clear red and clear blue. I used tamiya this time because the chrome was much darker than the bare brushed aluminum. Since the tamiya paints were way too light on the bare aluminum, they turned out great over the chrome paint. The blue was still a bit too light. If I did it over again, I'd probably use the testors for the blue. I'll see if I can get the company that the black and chrome came from... I don't remember off the top of my head, but it was recommended to me from the local model shop, and it was a great recommendation.

It's funny you should say that Chris as I was looking on eBay just now and Tamiya paints were popping up.

I've just been looking at the shield and it just really disappoints me that it's so flexible. I was hoping it wouldn't be that bad!

The paint methods you shared sound cool and give me hope I could make this into a cool display, until I maybe find a metal shield somewhere! Haha!

It's funny you should say that Chris as I was looking on eBay just now and Tamiya paints were popping up.

I've just been looking at the shield and it just really disappoints me that it's so flexible. I was hoping it wouldn't be that bad!

The paint methods you shared sound cool and give me hope I could make this into a cool display, until I maybe find a metal shield somewhere! Haha!

Even though my flying shield has been beat all to heck and back, i still have people asking me if it's real metal... the paint definitely makes it look a lot better. I would double it up, the shield only cost 30$ USD.. that's super cheap. Becareful of the glue you use though.. I used e6000, and it melted the plastic a bunch... luckily not tooo much that I couldn't use it.

Even though my flying shield has been beat all to heck and back, i still have people asking me if it's real metal... the paint definitely makes it look a lot better. I would double it up, the shield only cost 30$ USD.. that's super cheap. Becareful of the glue you use though.. I used e6000, and it melted the plastic a bunch... luckily not tooo much that I couldn't use it.

Well I'm definitely gonna have to look into it then, as it will do nothing but bug me! I feel optimised about the painting now, I was all ready to ship it on back but I'm gonna stick with it!

Ok, so I was looking through the pound shops and found something I think will work. It is a round serving tray made out of plastic. It's along the lines of a round sledge but only cost £2!!

Here are a few pictures...

The Shield...
59453f35.jpg

The Flex in the Shield...
0d8b4c0a.jpg

The Round Tray I bought...
dfc86276.jpg

The Tray in the Shield...
7b3bab9a.jpg

This fits in perfectly. And completely transforms the shield into something far more rigid, and what's better is the fact that it does not stick out beyond the depth of the shield!

Now I just need to figure out how to fix it. I'm thinking maybe some fixing foam which I use at work. It's like expanding foam but sticks like hell to anything!!

Dude you might want to use something that follows the curve of the shield. If you push the star the whole shield will collapse in the middle and it would look kind of silly. Is fibreglassing the inside not an option?
I'm sorry if i am talking you down on this but i really think a sled or huge saucer of some kind would be better.

I understand what your saying, but this is only meant for a display and not to be functional. I was going to fill the void with expanding foam just to stabilise the gap. But I do not anticipate getting the paint on anytime soon as I don't have the space to paint yet, so will keep my eye out for something more curved!

Good find.
You can flip over the tray and cut it in pieces to fit the inside of your shield then fill the voids with the expanding foam...or find a better tray and still use the foam in-between the two.
Shave/sand the back to a relative contour, seal, sand and paint.
It can be a wall display and then easily modified if you want to add straps in the future.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back