Difficulty in knowing what to see...

Monster Dave

Sr Member
Hey all,

I went to AMC's theater website this morning looking to see what time to catch a showing of GI Joe and found myself very confused. Since when did this get so complicated??

There's a showing for -

-IMAX 3D
-Read D 3D
-CC "Special Engagement"
-and simply "Special Engagement"

I just want to see a normal movie...why is this so complicated??!!

IMAX 3D <--- this one is in IMAX 3D
Read D 3D <---this one is just in 3D (RealD 3D?)
CC "Special Engagement" <--- you probably cant get into this one
and simply "Special Engagement" <--- this one either

LOL....so that means that the only option is 3D....that sucks...I hate 3D...

...oh and to make matters more confusing, I double checked and all the show options are listed as "Special Engagement"....

LOL - thanks for that - I didn't even think to look there. It's a good bit more clear from Fandango...I am just amazed at how confusing going to see a movie has been. It used to be that you just picked a time and would just go....now there's just too many options...omg...I sound old!!! LOL!!!

I think all "special engagement" means is you can't use passes.

"Imax"* and "Real" 3D are just brand names for standard digital screens with 3D, they are interchangeable.

(*when it comes to "fake" AMC Imax, that is.)

LOL - well based on what I found on Fandango I went and saw a 10am show for $5, but to make matters even MORE confusing, there was a HUGE line of people there when I got there, turned out they were also doing a special, invite only, advance screening of Jurassic Park 3D...

All this confusion and after seeing the movie, I'm so glad that I only paid $5...

It's not confusing. You just have to know what you want.

You did see GI Joe Retaliation didn't you? They didn't make you solve a sudoku before you went in, lol!

It's like deciding between Diet Coke and Coke Zero.

I was going to say:

-IMAX 3D - 3D on a the biggest possible screen.

-Read D 3D - 3D on a regular screen

Special engagments can vary. Could mean the screens are reserved (unlikely). Sometimes it means the theater will only have it there a short time, and sometimes it's simply marketing lingo they throw at you to make you think it's better than just a standard 2D presenation. I'd venture that CC means closed captioned but i've never seen that in a theater.

Casablanca is back in Cinemark theaters this Wednesday. I'm gonna do the opposite and go pay to see something I have one blu ray and two DVD copies of. Lol

Last edited:
Gotta say again "special engagement" = No Passes. In bidding for high profile titles, individual theaters will barter away most (or all) of the box office in the first week(s) of release, figuring they'll make it up in concessions*. The distributor will demand $x per patron, regardless whether there were passes used, so the theater doesn't honor them in these cases. That is a "special engagement".

*yes, that is pretty much how theaters make their money anyway, but normally they still do get some of the box office, too.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back