Differences between stormies, ANH/ESB/ROTJ

Luisiana Jones

I know it may sound stupid, or really newbie, but I want to lean so there it goes, could someone explain me or give me a link with pics, telling me the differences between the stormies in the 3 films?

Thanks a lot, and regards from Spain.

<div class='quotetop'>(Luisiana Jones @ May 31 2006, 05:53 PM) [snapback]1253716[/snapback]</div>
I know it may sound stupid, or really newbie, but I want to lean so there it goes, could someone explain me or give me a link with pics, telling me the differences between the stormies in the 3 films?

Thanks a lot, and regards from Spain.
[/b]

Hi mate - try www.starwarshelmets.com - click on 'Real Props' and scroll down to Stormtroopers.

Cheers

Al

I'm relatively certain handguards, lenses, and helmet stickers were the only things that changed on the suits between films on the regular stormtroopers. Between ANH and ESB was the biggest change.

<div class='quotetop'>(rigormortis @ Jun 1 2006, 03:04 PM) [snapback]1254205[/snapback]</div>
Between ANH and ESB was the biggest change.
[/b]

Actually the biggest changes took place during ESB and ROTJ... Aside from the helmet differences, the armour is different in the following areas:

ROTJ armour was created by taking moulds from an ESB suit, and using them to create vac-form bucks to create new components... so generally speakng the ROTJ armour's details are softer and less well-defined than ANH/ESB.
The shoulder bells on the ROTJ armour have a distinctive 'pinched' appearance, and they sit farther out when worn... making it look like the trooper's shrugging.

The ROTJ Stormtrooper chest armour, back armour, ab-section/crotch and kidney plate/butt piece all has white edging trim along the edges.

The ab-plate button details are in a different layout than the ANH/ESB costumes.

And as rigormortis said, the handguards on ESB/ROTJ suits are different to ANH handguards

HTH,
John

Isn't the RotJ armor and helmet oddities caused by the oddities of the one ESB armor they are created from? Bubble lenses, odd shape to the face, upside down ab plate detail section?

<div class='quotetop'>(KevVader @ Jun 1 2006, 10:44 PM) [snapback]1254409[/snapback]</div>
I thought the ESB lids had the same flat green lenses as ANH?
[/b]
Well, in one of the ESB Promo Posters - showing Vader surrounded by two Stormtroopers - the trooper on the right, has what appears to be an ANH "hero" style helmet with bubble lenses, and the upside down ab-detail piece.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y213/star...motieposter.jpg

That's a great pic NHM :)

The trooper on the right is actually an ROTJ suit with a painted grey mouth and the other is an ESB.There was some debate about this pic as it was supposed to be an ESB promo pic and has an ROTJ suit in it.But,there is some pics with Vader and some ROTJ troopers in London with the same grey mouths so maybe these suit's were the '83 tour/promo suit's?

<div class='quotetop'>(troopermaster @ Jun 1 2006, 11:38 PM) [snapback]1254439[/snapback]</div>
That's a great pic NHM :)

The trooper on the right is actually an ROTJ suit with a painted grey mouth and the other is an ESB.There was some debate about this pic as it was supposed to be an ESB promo pic and has an ROTJ suit in it.But,there is some pics with Vader and some ROTJ troopers in London with the same grey mouths so maybe these suit's were the '83 tour/promo suit's?
[/b]
Really? I was so sure that the armor was mentioned on another forum being spotted in the ESB Carbon Chamber scene and that it was the ESB armor that was sent to the firm that made the RotJ suits - with all the oddities and flaws of this suit... only with lesser detail because of the molding process. Or am I completely wrong and have imagined this?

To add to what's been said, the kidney plate/butt plate were separate pieces on the ANH/ESB trooper suits, whereas they were combined to form one solid piece for Jedi. The detail on the cylinder piece at the back of the belt was slightly modified for Jedi too I think.

Also the way the biceps, forearms, thighs and shins were assembled differed between ANH/ESB and ROTJ. In the latter suits one half of the armour overlaps the other half front and back, on the earlier suits one half meets the other and the joins were then covered by separate plastic strips added on top. The exception being at the back of the shins which overlapped a little and could be opened up to allow the wearer to get them over his foot.

If you look closely at a suit from ROTJ you can see the reminants of the edges of these separate plastic strips on the leading edges of the thighs, (they're tell tale signs reproduced from the original ESB/ANH suit).

..I'm no expert in troopers though, just call me an enthusiastic amateur. :)

Jeremy

There are other subtle differences between ANH suits and ESB suits, if you look closely you will see that the shoulder connectors are trimmed more in ESB.

They have gaffer tape on a lot of parts.

Almost all the ESB troopers wear silk gloves and NOT chemical gloves, the "stunt' hand guards are sewn onto the gloves, small holes were drilled in the hand guards to allow that.

There are also 'hero' hand guards in ESB, used for closeups( Chewie scene...)

The carbon chamber suit with the white edgings doesn't have ubber pinched shoulder bells like the one in the promo shot.
But he also has the upside down AB section.
esbchewietroop.jpg

I've been thinking a lot about that suit and one of my theories is that maybe it's a stunt suit, (not like stunt versus hero), but a stunt suit really made so that the stunt man could jump from the high set without hurting himself, the edgings protecting him from the sharp edges/angles of the armor and a one piece abdomen construction so that the ab detail wouldn't come apart every time the stunt would have been rehearsed or actually shot.

It's just a theory though.

<div class='quotetop'>(StarWars Collector @ Jun 1 2006, 04:05 PM) [snapback]1254457[/snapback]</div>
I think it's essential to know WHEN the ESB promo poster was made. That may explain a lot of things.
[/b]

That's a very good point. Whether it's a pre/post/during production photo I'd like to know but it is very definitely contemporary to ESB's production. That photo was on a Mead spiral notebook that I had (and may still have somewhere) and it is also the very first card in the first set of Topps ESB trading cards. I've tried searching the web for a street date on the first wave of ESB trading cards and haven't had any luck yet but if we find that out we'll know the absolute latest date the photo could have been taken--if I were to guesstimate I'd say that was sometime late in 1979 (maybe early 1980). We know ESB premiered on wednesday May 21st 1980 and the photo had to be approved for distribution by LFL then distributed to the various media. I have no idea how long it takes to plan, design and print a run of trading cards but you have to factor that in as well.

Anyway, my $.02

Dave C

<div class='quotetop'>(gonk27 @ Jun 1 2006, 11:25 PM) [snapback]1254501[/snapback]</div>
If you look closely at a suit from ROTJ you can see the reminants of the edges of these separate plastic strips on the leading edges of the thighs, (they're tell tale signs reproduced from the original ESB/ANH suit).[/b]

Absolutely right Jeremy... and here's the evidence to prove it :D :

ROTJ_shin.jpg

Cheers
John

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back