Die Cast Lighted 1/350th TOS Enterprise (TOMY crowd funded)

I put in an order for one yesterday with WalMart, and got a notification this morning that my order was canceled because the item was now out of stock and that PayPal was refunding my purchase.
E
I received an email from Walmart with the subject “You have a refund from Walmart”. I thought my order was cancelled but the refund was only for $1.90. I have no idea why. Mine now shows shipped. We’ll see what I actually receive.

IMG_3312.jpeg

Deleted
This makes sense????????
-Jim

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231102-203215_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231102-203215_Chrome.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Since this is sold via. Walmart, you can use PayPal so you’re protected if you get anything but what’s advertised, or it doesn’t get delivered at all.
This looks like a dropshipping/warehouse issue. It's certainly not a "scam" in the proper sense, not with Walmart shielding you with their return policy. Sending out the wrong product is only going to cost them dearly on shipping both ways.

The only universe where this works out in their favour is if you die before the product reaches you, and you don't complain. and i doubt this scam is far-reaching enough to have agents quietly murdering people throughout the country who order $46 star trek models before they get a chance to open their mail.

Last edited:
I'm a little confused about the screenshot part. I will have to go back and reread. Just sayen, always good to be diligent when ordering something, and giving out address, and CC number. But that might not be pertinent any more. Sorry

This looks like a dropshipping/warehouse issue. It's certainly not a "scam" in the proper sense, not with Walmart shielding you with their return policy. Sending out the wrong product is only going to cost them dearly on shipping both ways.

The only universe where this works out in their favour is if you die before the product reaches you, and you don't complain. and i doubt this scam is far-reaching enough to have agents quietly murdering people throughout the country who order $46 star trek models before they get a chance to open their mail.
Walmart wasn't selling these. I'm pretty sure these were all third party vendors...at least when I looked...selling through Walmart like they do on Amazon. I try never to go through third party unless their reviews are many and off the charts.

Walmart wasn't selling these. I'm pretty sure these were all third party vendors...at least when I looked...selling through Walmart like they do on Amazon. I try never to go through third party unless their reviews are many and off the charts.
no i know, but it's essentially the same as buying from walmart, or amazon, in terms of buyer protection and return policy. it's a bit silly to act like ur buying blue meth off the darkweb and could wind up with your identity stolen by turkish sex traffickers.

Last edited:
I'm a little confused about the screenshot part. I will have to go back and reread. Just sayen, always good to be diligent when ordering something, and giving out address, and CC number. But that might not be pertinent any more. Sorry
As far as the screenshot that I mentioned, it was just a picture I showed here on the site I have not ordered yet to jeopardize my personal information. If that's what we were talking about. My misunderstanding, sorry.
-Jim

It may seem like sacrilege, but has anyone done a teardown of the TOMY 1701 or aware of any internal photos? I'd like to know what's in the saucer if I ever pull it apart to fix some faulty lights. Returns are not an option for me.

It may seem like sacrilege, but has anyone done a teardown of the TOMY 1701 or aware of any internal photos? I'd like to know what's in the saucer if I ever pull it apart to fix some faulty lights. Returns are not an option for me.

I highly doubt anyone would have done a tear down at this point. Maybe in a year or two. Why is return not an option for you??

Yeah cool that you didn't take it to seriously! Glad you're protected though!

Very true so true...when a deal is to good....Happened to me to last year. Found a seller on Mercari selling a Hottoys Leia Hoth figure at the original selling price! They usually go for 2 or 3 times that price! I ended up with a Digital Voice recorder instead. LOL Thankfully Mercari was on it and cancelled that sucker and gave me my monies back. So yeah I know the feeling!

Seventy people huh? Man us collectors are serious targets for scammers! LOL

I never buy from third parties and definitely not a good deal like that. If Im searching for a good deal on something and one like that polar lights "deal" shows up as the best deal. I will take the more expensive option from a reputable site or dealer.

I won't even buy big ticket items like tvs. People save $50-100 on a tv. It is delivered and is damaged with dead pixels or something. Then you have to go down to the post office with this huge package to return...lol.....me??? I got some to my local Best Buy. Pay the extra $50-100 bucks and know that I only have to drive 2 miles for a return and replacement in the space if 20 minutes.....

I assume he may live in another country, like the UK not in the US !

Oh right. Yeah that is indeed a pickle. If the plugs could be removed without damaging them or the decals or finish it should be relatively easy. But there is no guarantee of course. Plus one little slip of the screwdriver would mark the surface very easily.

View attachment 1758176
I just noticed this on the TOMY -- the picture's not great, but inside the hangar bubble are 3 rods (red, yellow, orange). I'd never seen this before, but after some research found Gary Kerr's pretty definitive painting guide and got schooled. Astounding to me TOMY's design guys went to this level of effort! Boneheaded mistakes aside, this was clearly a labor of love.
Some great touches for sure! Almost makes up for some of those boneheaded mistakes...almost. The model was thisclose to being close to perfect. I'm glad I got it though - zero regrets.

I still think the nacelles are a smidge low (maybe it's just mine?), but looking at different models, blueprints etc. height seemed to vary. I'd rather have them a smidge higher though so if they do droop it's far less noticeable.

Well… Damn! I spoke with Walmart customer service on the phone and they’re going to contact the 3rd party seller. If I don’t get resolution within 48 hours I’ll get a refund.

View attachment 1758267

That's actually a great model. You know what you should do??? Order the Petty model through them and they may give you the PL Enteprise ...lol

Last edited:
I assume he may live in another country, like the UK not in the US !
Australia. From a reputable dealer, but they can only offer a refund, no stock for replacement.

Talking with TOMY Aus but not enjoying the prospect of sending saucer back to the USA and waiting for a return etc. "Bird in the hand" rules apply.

After a few wacks on the side, I've managed to get the lights to stay on. Another knock and they'd go out again. Definitely a loose connection somewhere.

In time, I'll move onto other things and it won't bother me so much. An 18-20" Jupiter II would be an excellent distraction :love:

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back