Die Cast Lighted 1/350th TOS Enterprise (TOMY crowd funded)

Yeah, I joke, but she is a keeper. Super hot as well, so that helps. (y)

Now, hear is a question. Would you guys trade hotness for more space?
Where on the hot/crazy scale are we talking?

Sadly I am so old that "hot" for me or my wife is over the horizon in the rear view mirror. But I have been joking this was our new dining room centerpiece for a year now. Instead Voltron and Yamato now share a shelf.

You know I will say this...this model is a beast being all diecast! It is really damn heavy! I wonder if for the next ship...if there will be one...should be half diecast and half plastic? Just for weight considerations alone.

Anyone have any thoughts on that?
Best paperweight I've ever bought.

Man Klingon Battlecruiser would be awesome but I want a refit first. The refit is so universally loved that I think it could easily get backed...I MEAN REALLY EASILY. I'D BE SHOCKED IF THEY FAILED TO GET THE BACKING! Plus the ship is probably next to the Falcon and TOS Enterprise the most iconic ship ever in Sci-fi/fantasy!
I'd like to know what ship won the survey TOMY put out.

Metal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (y) :lol: :love: :eek: :D o_O ;) :love::lol:(y)
Heavy Metal!
giphy (1).gif

I'll say. I only have a large office and the entire garage. My ball and chain says that is all I get, other than the Deago Falcon in the dining room.

You guys are lucky! ;)
I know I'm lucky. My wife put up with a Klingon K'Tinga hanging above her head every night while she slept for about ten years before I moved it to the guest room out of pity.
---------------

I know I'm lucky. My wife put up with a Klingon K'Tinga hanging above her head every night while she slept for about ten years before I moved it to the guest room out of pity.
---------------

Man you must be a rocket in the sack! Good on ya (y)

It is in a way, which is why I said it was the only model of that ship at that scale I've owned, but Enterprise models with sagging nacelles (and, less often, the saucer) has been a problem for decades, which is why I was very conscious of it when I got the Megabloks ship. However, that model felt incredibly sturdy to me, which made me think it would be fine, but then it happened anyway.

I'm not saying nobody has ever made an Enterprise that doesn't sag, nor am I saying that this Tomy one will sag, just that I personally am wary of sagging and will not be displaying it without the saucer stand for anything but short bursts until we're a year or two down the line with no reports of sagging from anyone else. You can't undo it, that's all.
I understand completely; I had that issue on the 1/650 AMT/ Ertl version and eventually had to reinforce the daylights out of it. It's got to be far worse on the 1/350!!!

You know I will say this...this model is a beast being all diecast! It is really damn heavy! I wonder if for the next ship...if there will be one...should be half diecast and half plastic? Just for weight considerations alone.

Anyone have any thoughts on that?

I wouldn't object to them doing something akin to the actual studio models: a metal skeleton frame inside, with a different material (presumably plastic if Tomy were to do this again) on the outside. That would give it plenty of strength while also potentially removing the seam and screw hole issues. To be honest, I had first expected there to be far less metal on this model than there ended up being, they've done a remarkable job of making as many components as possible from it.

I understand completely; I had that issue on the 1/650 AMT/ Ertl version and eventually had to reinforce the daylights out of it. It's got to be far worse on the 1/350!!!

Yeah, especially as the saucer weighs a ton on this model, I'm quite skeptical of the neck's ability to hold all that weight unaided in the long term.

Well if the saucer ever sags we all can just display the saucer section separate...lol....

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back