Die Cast Lighted 1/350th TOS Enterprise (TOMY crowd funded)

I think the $599 price was well-positioned and smart marketing. Increasing the price above that would have likely pushed it out of the affordable/justifiable level for most collectors.

Don't forget it took a long time to get enough buyers to start this project, and the Tomy team had to lower the order commitment numbers to get production green-lit.

Hopefully the level of quality will be as amazing as we hope, collectors will be happy and Tomy will be able to easily justify producing more.

That's why I'm advocating for a lightly weathered version, it's a more balanced approach that will satisfy most collectors and optimize chances for future projects.

I think the $599 price was well-positioned and smart marketing. Increasing the price above that would have likely pushed it out of the affordable/justifiable level for most collectors.

Don't forget it took a long time to get enough buyers to start this project, and the Tomy team had to lower the order commitment numbers to get production green-lit.

Hopefully the level of quality will be as amazing as we hope, collectors will be happy and Tomy will be able to easily justify producing more.

That's why I'm advocating for a lightly weathered version, it's a more balanced approach that will satisfy most collectors and optimize chances for future projects.
I think one of the reasons for how long they took to get subscribers was due to their poor marketing. It was embarrassingly bad. I've read on other forums/threads/vlogs how people never even knew the project was even available.

They really relied on us fans to spread the word...and many of us tried...but an all out media blitz was needed. TOMY does not have the fanbase that Hasbro or Lego has...nor to be fair, do they have the marketing budgets that they have either. Relying on word of mouth and just hoping to go viral was not the way to go. TOMY needed to be coordinated and have an online strategy to get this project to take off. They missed a great opportunity to not only promote this project but to elevate and promote their own corporate brand.

I never thought TOMY did their due diligence on marketing a product that would...could have...been a bigger hit...TOMY could have been a much bigger player in the collectors market.

In the end I just hope everyone will be happy and TOMY earns the trust of fanboys and collectors so they can continue to make these large scale projects at prices that enures quality without costing bundles of cash.

Makes no sense. It's simply a matter of setting aside a designated number of models to skip one step of the painting process. Why would that be undo-able for them? We're not talking about a massive production of tens of thousands of units. It ended up being around 2,500. Seems like a small enough production number that they could accommodate requests of this nature.
That would complicate the logistics of the factory workflow, and you bet they would charge for that. It would cost TOMY more, despite there being less work on those units.

That would complicate the logistics of the factory workflow, and you bet they would charge for that. It would cost TOMY more, despite there being less work on those units.
I suppose so. I don't know, I just figured since those units are going to be sitting/waiting to be painted anyway, some could be sitting/waiting to not be painted.

I suppose so. I don't know, I just figured since those units are going to be sitting/waiting to be painted anyway, some could be sitting/waiting to not be painted.
Resale value? What would be rarer? An un-weathered E or a weathered E?;)

Resale value? What would be rarer? An un-weathered E or a weathered E?;)
I asked QMx to make me an un-weathered and un-battle damaged Starbuck Viper and they accommodated me. But these were assembled in the U.S., not China. I’d like to believe mine is more rare and worth more than the other Starbuck vipers they sold.
67D593EA-5DD9-4A88-B752-CDD6FE1D8FA8.jpeg

Last edited:
I asked QMx to make me an un-weathered and un-battle damaged Starbuck Viper and they accommodated me. But these were assembled in the U.S., not China. I’d like to believe mine is more rare and worth more than the other Starbuck vipers they sold. View attachment 1671224
QMX is an artisan company making individual orders upon request with options. What TOMY is doing is more mass production.

It's not about where it's made...they have artisans in China/Asia that could make high quality rare pieces and charge a bundle like QMX does.

TOMY's objective was mass production for a mass audience. QMX is for the collector looking to spend some serious cash that goes with getting a unique piece.

I would love to have a 1/350 TOS or Refit or SNW Enterprise commissioned from QMX but 8-10 grand is way to steep for me.

That's a very nice piece. I like clean replicas too with little to no weathering. I get where you are coming from! :)

I did reach out to TOMY and suggest they might think about an additional run with a different finish (lightly weathered or idealized). I think people who are interested in that sort of version should reach out to TOMY and suggest a V2. I'm definitely in favor of fans having access to their preferred option. Maybe that should be TOMY's next Star Trek project.

What was advertised and the product we backed was always supposed to be based on the filming miniature in the Smithsonian. It displayed that style of paint job.

I did reach out to TOMY and suggest they might think about an additional run with a different finish (lightly weathered or idealized). I think people who are interested in that sort of version should reach out to TOMY and suggest a V2. I'm definitely in favor of fans having access to their preferred option. Maybe that should be TOMY's next Star Trek project.

What was advertised and the product we backed was always supposed to be based on the filming miniature in the Smithsonian. It displayed that style of paint job.
Yikes no offense but I'm hoping the next big project will be the REFIT! Let people repaint their TOMY TOS Enterprise! LOL ;)

I want a REFIT! LOL

Just sharing since it showed up in my email. Anyone else who is involved with the purchase of the TOMY Star Trek USS Enterprise will get the same email. Pics of the email.
View attachment 1680176View attachment 1680177
View attachment 1680184
View attachment 1680185
View attachment 1680186
View attachment 1680187
Surprised they released the instructions so early. I do wish they had a option for plug in power vs batteries. Running eight batteries is kinda of a pain. Plus removing them every time after use is an additional pain.

Hope this ship looks good. Praying this is gonna be a knock out of the park...PLEASE BE GOOD! GREAT!

Agreed plugin power is better. Having battery as option is okay, but plug is best.

Don’t use Duracell is all I gotta say. I’m poor at removing batteries discipline, and sometimes they are in my suiff for years. Almost always it was Duracells that leaked.

On the plus side you can pick it up fully lighted and enjoy looking at it at all angles.

Something I couldn’t do with the Master Replicas unless I made a custom cord.

Don’t use Duracell is all I gotta say. I’m poor at removing batteries discipline, and sometimes they are in my suiff for years. Almost always it was Duracells that leaked.

On the plus side you can pick it up fully lighted and enjoy looking at it at all angles.

Something I couldn’t do with the Master Replicas unless I made a custom cord.
Do you prefer batteries or would you prefer a plug in? Do you mind having a plug in with the MR Enterprise?

I think I prefer batteries, having to deal with cords means finding outlets, and the adapter hassle.
I do too. I once built the Fine Molds 1/144 Millenium Falcon and lighted it. I had it running on batteries that were external. I like how they have the batteries hidden in the model here and it looks like easy access.:)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back