Die Cast Lighted 1/350th TOS Enterprise (TOMY crowd funded)

I called and asked for a pristine model and they said no.
Makes no sense. It's simply a matter of setting aside a designated number of models to skip one step of the painting process. Why would that be undo-able for them? We're not talking about a massive production of tens of thousands of units. It ended up being around 2,500. Seems like a small enough production number that they could accommodate requests of this nature.

Me personally I just hope they make a great replica. Great detailing coupled with great electronics. I want something I can feel proud to put on display. I just started working in 2012 so didn't have the cash to get the Master Replica version so that was a huge miss for me. This hopefully will make up for that miss.

If the paint job matches the Smithsonian I am OK with that. I mean I know people want a clean version but let's see how future updates look. Hopefully it will make everyone happy.

I am a bit worried about the diecast parts pics. The huge fastener holes in the side of the secondary hull and
on the bottoms of the nacelles and saucer. Hopefully these are filled with something other than plastic plugs.
Don't want big circles where the plugs are inserted. Hoping for some sort of filling and sanding of the plugs
before painting.

I am a bit worried about the diecast parts pics. The huge fastener holes in the side of the secondary hull and
on the bottoms of the nacelles and saucer. Hopefully these are filled with something other than plastic plugs.
Don't want big circles where the plugs are inserted. Hoping for some sort of filling and sanding of the plugs
before painting.
The screw holes and seams will be filled with putty and sanded smooth.

The project seems to be progressing nicely! Those metal parts look nice and seem pretty substantial. Hopefully that will translate to the model holding up well over time.

I agree that onscreen the original Enterprise model didn't look to have much weathering or detail, but I think that probably has more to do with the studio lighting, quality of the effects that lost detail and a low-quality TV image. Honestly the main surface detail I noticed in the original TV show was film grain. Just because we couldn't see weathering in the effects shots doesn't mean the model didn't have the detail. It's quite reasonable to think the modelers pushed the detail to get some of it across on film. I usually prefer idealized models to accurate prop replicas because that is how I remember/imagined them, so I completely sympathize with that point of view.

At $599 shipped there can't be any room for making different variations of this and TOMY always said this was a weathered Smithsonian version. TOMY is already producing a fewer number of models than they hoped to sell. Any sort of customization would add steps and a separate way to inventory products through the process. TOMY might need additional Paramount approval for a different finished version as well. Different paint jobs would also change the expectations, adding to the likelihood of upsetting customers or people wanting the "other one" when they see pictures after the release.

Tomy looks to be producing exactly what they said it would be. In this case, I actually really like the weathering.

Hopefully if enough people asked for it, TOMY will do an idealized run of these in the future. There would probably be room for profit in that since they have already done all the engineering. It would be fantastic if people had that option, too. People who want a more idealized version might be able to sell the weathered one at a profit after release.

before painting.

I think Chris specified in one of the online videos that joints would be "filled and sanded", but it's a good question. Plastic plugs would be bad.

I agree that onscreen the original Enterprise model didn't look to have much weathering or detail, but I think that probably has more to do with the studio lighting, quality of the effects that lost detail and a low-quality TV image. Honestly the main surface detail I noticed in the original TV show was film grain. Just because we couldn't see weathering in the effects shots doesn't mean the model didn't have the detail. It's quite reasonable to think the modelers pushed the detail to get some of it across on film. I usually prefer idealized models to accurate prop replicas because that is how I remember/imagined them, so I completely sympathize with that point of view.
We were all inspired by the "idealized" TV version of the ship, very very few even knew what the studio model looked like.

I'm cool with adding some weathering, but it should be much more subtle than the studio model.

That should hopefully satisfy nearly all collectors.

before painting.

Yeah they scream at the eye big time right now as a concern. We of course are used to toys and such just putting in cheap caps on so many prop products so those warts bring bad memories. I recall them saying they will be filled and finished over properly. Perhaps even filled with metal weld/solder? Someone may remember the method said. The whole team is obviously seeking perfection but it really comes down to what makes it through the Hong Kong production filter. I hope they are aggressive on sample quality through the whole process. This surely is unlike any product they have ever produced and also methods need to stand the test of time. Nobody wants cracks and seams starting to show in five years so hopefully proven methods are used.

We were all inspired by the "idealized" TV version of the ship, very very few even knew what the studio model looked like.

I'm cool with adding some weathering, but it should be much more subtle than the studio model.

That should hopefully satisfy nearly all collectors.

You are absolutely right that most people only know how the Enterprise looked on TV and were incredibly inspired by that!

But different people want different versions of products and there often seems to be the assumption that there is a correct version. I purchased the EFX Limited Edition Vader helmet because it is slightly idealized, licensed and has lineage to the original prop. That is exactly what I wanted. Many people on this forum think it is a bad helmet that isn't accurate enough, which is true for them, just not me. There are other versions of the Vader helmet made for those people's specifications. Same for the Wand Phaser and Communicator, idealized and exactly the versions I personally want. I searched to find props that match what I am looking for. My want isn't better or more valid than anyone else's, just what will make me happy at my home. I'm only right for what I am personally looking for.

I backed the TOMY Enterprise as a replica based on the model in the Smithsonian being made in consultation with people involved in the restoration. The Smithsonian model has been restored by people who love the ship more than even I do (which is hard to imagine). That is the product I backed because I want that version of the ship understanding it would be weathered referencing the filming models current appearance.

I think there is a huge market for slightly weathered and idealized versions of this ship! Probably bigger markets. But changing the specifications of the description for what people purchased in good faith seems unfair to me. Would I like it slightly weathered? Okay. Would I like it idealized? Okay. But I purchased it to be weathered more like the photos of the prototype and the Smithsonian filming model because that is really what I want most. My dad took me to see the filming model in 1976. I took my son to see it many times in 2010/2011. And I know it looks different now.

I would love for TOMY to do subsequent runs with different finishes to service everyone's perfect version but keep this run closer to the filming model in its current state because that really is what I think was described.

I was just rewatching Adam Savage's tested video with the filming model. Having Astronaut Cady Coleman ask about the paint "How come it's like almost dirt, like you know that reddish brown. I'm like really? I thought it never got dirty up there."

The weathering really isn't what everyone wants or expects.

I was just rewatching Adam Savage's tested video with the filming model. Having Astronaut Cady Coleman ask about the paint "How come it's like almost dirt, like you know that reddish brown. I'm like really? I thought it never got dirty up there."

The weathering really isn't what everyone wants or expects.
It's due to all of those Ion storms that they went thru and it removed the paint down to the primer !:D

space weather is harsh and extreme on our stuff today, not like we think on earth but it’s there, and all the intense hijinks Kirk put the E through I am down with it on the model as depicted on the studio model, but it was simply not very visible on TV screens back then, I certainly never noticed any.

I wonder if the 599 asking price was to low. I mean all of us are expecting a lot for a asking price of 600 bucks. I want something that rivals or surpasses the MR Enterprise. Is that asking to much at 600 bucks?

The MR Enterprise cost 1200-1400 depending on the version you got and that was what...14 years ago? So while TOMY's asking price was 600 which in my book was a steal..I hope that price doesn't undermine the quality.

If they do a refit...which I REALLY REALLY HOPE THEY DO...I would be willing to pay twice what they charged for the TOS so that they get EVERYTHING RIGHT. I want them to charge what they feel would do justice to any reproduction they pursue...of course I'm not looking to pay the prices that QMX was charging...just hoping TOMY finds that balance between price and quality without breaking our bank accounts.

I'm sure the aztec pattern alone would cost a pretty penny to reproduce on the REFIT.

Either way crossing my fingers on this project and hoping for the damn best!

I wonder if the 599 asking price was to low. I mean all of us are expecting a lot for a asking price of 600 bucks. I want something that rivals or surpasses the MR Enterprise. Is that asking to much at 600 bucks?

The MR Enterprise cost 1200-1400 depending on the version you got and that was what...14 years ago? So while TOMY's asking price was 600 which in my book was a steal..I hope that price doesn't undermine the quality.

If they do a refit...which I REALLY REALLY HOPE THEY DO...I would be willing to pay twice what they charged for the TOS so that they get EVERYTHING RIGHT. I want them to charge what they feel would do justice to any reproduction they pursue...of course I'm not looking to pay the prices that QMX was charging...just hoping TOMY finds that balance between price and quality without breaking our bank accounts.

I'm sure the aztec pattern alone would cost a pretty penny to reproduce on the REFIT.

Either way crossing my fingers on this project and hoping for the damn best!

I do think $599 shipped was too inexpensive. I would have thought actually specifically limiting the edition of each (maybe 2000 like the "Filming Model", 2000 "Lightly weathered" and 2000 "Idealized" and charging $1200 - $1500 each would have been fair Then as customers, I think we could expect a little more in terms of customization. I really want this to be a beautiful centerpiece of my collection. I also want TOMY to continue making more ships. I also would have considered paying more for a signature edition if that was a possibility.

A small Lego set cost over $100 now for plastic blocks. Playmobil's Enterprise is $500. $599 seems out of scale for what we want from this.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back