Die Cast Lighted 1/350th TOS Enterprise (TOMY crowd funded)

I would think Kerr would have given them insane accurate dimensions of everything. Did he contribute to the PL kit? I think he may have.

Kerr was one of the key players in designing the PL kit. As soon as I saw the TOMY model, I thought, “Oh, a metal recast of the PL kit”.

I suppose it’s possible that this will be an all-new design based on Kerr’s data, rather than tooling based directly on the PL kit, but it’ll be neat to see people compare the two if and when the TOMY model comes out.

There is clearly a Round 2 hull half in frame in a picture at the above link.
Is this the pic you are referencing?

Screenshot 2022-08-13 192653.jpg

If the piece on the bottom right is a Round 2 hull, then we can see by this picture alone that TOMY is *not* copying that hull. You can already see distinct differences in the design of the hull on the grey model compared to that half piece. Not only that, but on the Round 2 TOS model, the seam for the nacelles was on the top and bottom of the nacelles, not on the sides of the nacelles - as they are in this model. We already know the TOMY neck design is radically different than *any* other neck design. And the prototype appears to show not one, but two attachment points for the (also radically different) support/base.

So NO - as even a cursory glance demonstrates - this is NOT "just a metal version of the same kit".

In fact, *because* TOMY's product is metal, it CAN'T be "just a metal version of the same kit". There are distinct *material* design requirement differences between metal and plastic which make it impossible for TOMY to simply copy the design of a plastic model.

Last edited:
Kerr was one of the key players in designing the PL kit. As soon as I saw the TOMY model, I thought, “Oh, a metal recast of the PL kit”.

I suppose it’s possible that this will be an all-new design based on Kerr’s data, rather than tooling based directly on the PL kit, but it’ll be neat to see people compare the two if and when the TOMY model comes out.
I'm more interested in seeing a TOMY vs MRE comparison. The MRE which is the creme de la creme of an official production replica. I am hoping TOMY releases something on par or greater than the MRE.

Even a cursory glance shows they at least used it as a reference. I also see the nacelle seam lines. I had not meant they cast the plastic kit and reproduced molds for casting. I worded my post to be mindful of offending anyone,though whatever is said it shouldn’t,unless maybe the designer of the model felt insulted. Perhaps you should also try not poking people. Cursory indeed.

I have prayed for you. I don't know you, but as I said to God, "Any Star Trek fan can't be too bad."

I hope you make it for much longer than this release.

Tom
Thanks. Appreciate it very much ! I hope so too !
Oh man hang in there!!! A year sounds like a long time but it really isn't!!! I hope your health gets better not just for the Tomy Enterprise but for life in General!!!
Thanks appreciate your comments !

One:
"Even a cursory glance shows they at least used it as a reference."
No. You have no evidence they used the PL hull as a "reference". Looking at a model to understand how someone else designed the ship and using a model as a reference to copy their design for one's own ship are two *very* DIFFERENT things.

And *copying* their design is the very *explicit* meaning of your statements:
"So did they just base it off PLs 350? ... if this is just a metal version of the same kit….seems kinda shady"

In other words, the only "shady" thing here is your straw man:
"I had not meant they cast the plastic kit and reproduced molds for casting.
Since I never referenced "casting", you 'poke' me here on the basis of a falsehood. 'Casting the plastic kit and reproducing the molds for metal casting' is NOT the only way to copy a design (aka "base" a design on someone else's design; create another "version" of the same design for a different material). In other words, I did not commit the fallacy of equivocating between "this is just a metal version of the same kit" and "cast the plastic kit and reproduced molds for casting", as you just did.

Of course, since you now declare you were aware of at *least* ONE of the *major* design differences I mentioned *before* you declared TOMY "seems kinda shady" - ie since you now declare you *knew* TOMY had NOT 'shadily' copied the design of PLs 350 (aka since you KNEW they had NOT 'shadily' made "just a metal version of the same kit") - one is left to wonder *why* you spoke as if you did NOT possess that knowledge.

I leave you to explain that contradiction to anyone else here who might be interested. Myself, I am not interested in (worse than) baseless aspersions. As such, IF you have actually ordered one of TOMY's ships, I hope you enjoy it when it arrives. On the other hand, if you have NOT ordered one, I hope you are not too disappointed by that fact - now or in the future.

Either way I take my permanent leave of you with a 'Goodbye and fare thee well'.

Last edited:
That would be cool. Probably OLED screen since they are so flexible. Would eliminate any motor noise too.

Well, you would lose the 3D effect of swirling energy inside the domes, so maybe if it was in inner dome display visable through an orange frosted clear outer dome.

Well, you would lose the 3D effect of swirling energy inside the domes, so maybe if it was in inner dome display visable through an orange frosted clear outer dome.
True but when the tech/resolution evolves to the point where it can be installed on something so small those problems might be solved!

Tech is advancing pretty fast and these tiny OLED screens are so cool! Seeing ships or other replicas built with them are just a precursor of things to come when it comes to prop/replica making! :)

Last edited:
True but when the tech/resolution evolves to the point where it can be installed on something so small those problems might be solved!

Tech is advancing pretty fast and these tiny OLED screens are so cool! Seeing ships or other replicas built them are just a precursor of things to come when it comes to prop/replica making! :)

You could have moving crew visible walking by the windows. Interesting.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back