Die Cast Lighted 1/350th TOS Enterprise (TOMY crowd funded)

Weathering really is an art. It can be done well and it can be done poorly. Just like prop making and we have some real artists in this forum group. GC
Absolutely! Here’s the weathering of the Smithsonian Enterprise.

7E5CDEC4-F256-4007-96DF-94855893B720.jpeg
0BA4FD6A-C2A6-4B95-A90E-A7983F1B5F57.jpeg

My main concern is what comes out of the factory, where is the production facility for this?
Probably China. TOMY is a Japanese company and for 600 bucks I can’t see this replica being made anywhere else for that price other than China or maybe even Vietnam.

Wonder if that was part of the cost for Qmx. People say it's not cost effective producing in the U.S. anymore.
Indeed it was and is. However in this global economy even if it was made here the lions share of the parts will still be made abroad

In my opinion, final QC of the product should be done in USA. I've gotten too much that could have been caught with simple... BASIC QC. My first MR Enterprise had non functioning saucer lights. Had to be sent back. That sucked.

Yeah. You spend that kind of money for an enhanced experience all the way. If you buy prime sirloin but it gets stored in a wood shed on a hot day in July over the weekend before delivery, it's still a bad steak.

Give them time and when they start showing us progress pics and videos then we can start getting more critical.
I don't think it is inappropriate to start identify problems with the demo ships at *this* time. As the TOMY guys have stated, some observations/suggestions have already been submitted by customers - and are going to be acted upon by TOMY. It is preferable to give such identifications *before* they are in the middle of the production process, because corrections at *that* time could be costly for them and thus might prevent such corrections from ever being made.

In other words, when it comes to identifying potential problems, the sooner the better.

Of course, I understand you don't concur. So we will simply have to agree to disagree. :)

Last edited:
I don't think it is inappropriate to start identify problems with the demo ships at *this* time. As the TOMY guys have stated, some observations/suggestions have already been submitted by customers - and are going to be acted upon by TOMY. It is preferable to give such identifications *before* they are in the middle of the production process, because corrections at *that* time could be costly for them and thus might prevent such corrections from ever being made.

In other words, when it comes to identifying potential problems, the sooner the better.

Of course, I understand you don't concur. So we will simply have to agree to disagree. :)
Good points! We don’t have agree to disagree! You made some valid comments! I agree with them!! :)

Fwiw, I don't personally see the "ring rust" as a problem; despite what a lot of people are saying, wear and tear happens everywhere -- even space. And has been pointed out, it is present on the Smithsonian ship they're using as the template model. Can it still be toned down a bit? Sure. But I think what was suggested above is that we may not be seeing the same thing from our screens as they're seeing in person. I mean the bussards still look pink for crying out loud. But they've stated several times that's a trick of the video. So yeah we can make suggestions, but knowing they may be based on misinformation at this point, maybe it's best to just see if Tomy will take a list of comments and address them as soon as they're able and let that be the end of it. Of course by the same token, if they DON'T address those issues in production (big IF considering the company history), we'll have more to consider when being asked to fund the next project. And a public record to show the failure to make good on those promises.

It's so early, long way to go, lots of time to tweak, they got damn far with what they have now. I think these guys really want this to be the best as possible, seems to be a passion project. You don't involve people like Kerr unless you mean it. Let's hope it's one for the ages and a long line of Trek ships every year or two. But I think it's good to remember, this isn't a pro build up of the PL kit, it's a production product and it's not possible to get that good. Make it better and more accurate than the MR and we are gold at half the price it was.

Fwiw, I don't personally see the "ring rust" as a problem; despite what a lot of people are saying, wear and tear happens everywhere -- even space. And has been pointed out, it is present on the Smithsonian ship they're using as the template model. Can it still be toned down a bit? Sure. But I think what was suggested above is that we may not be seeing the same thing from our screens as they're seeing in person. I mean the bussards still look pink for crying out loud. But they've stated several times that's a trick of the video. So yeah we can make suggestions, but knowing they may be based on misinformation at this point, maybe it's best to just see if Tomy will take a list of comments and address them as soon as they're able and let that be the end of it. Of course by the same token, if they DON'T address those issues in production (big IF considering the company history), we'll have more to consider when being asked to fund the next project. And a public record to show the failure to make good on those promises.

maybe it's best to just see if Tomy will take a list of comments and address them as soon as they're able
Well, by looking at this stuff now, *we* will certainly have things to contribute, if and when TOMY sets up a "list of comments" for them to address. :D

Last edited:
I appear to be good. I see both orders on the Tomy account now and was charged for two, I got the last email with both orders listed. Only got that first “receipt “ for one though but I think it’s squared away now it seems.

No problems for me, I received the paid confirmation receipts on both orders and their system is showing the current status.

I’m good to go as well. Got all my confirmations!!! #64!!!

Hope this piece turns out well. The price tag of 600 bucks sounds really to good to be true. I mean the MRE was 1200 back in 2008…14 years ago!

But if they turn out a fantastic product I’m am so in on The Refit…even if they charge 900 for that.

So is everyone else good and paid or were you unable to resolve? What a cluster **** this campaign turned out to be
support continued to be difficult about my second order, but at some point I just let it go because I was a bit uncertain about the second order anyway

so now just the one order, which went through fine

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back