Dick Tracy Watch Build

Please count me in on the first run I love this idea and run my families restaurant which has been in business for 70 years i know this piece will get a ton of comments I AM SO EXCITED!

wonka bbq
Anthony Polski
e-mail: anthonypolski@gmail.com

- - - Updated - - -

I joined this site because of this watch

Please count me in on the first run I love this idea and run my families restaurant which has been in business for 70 years i know this piece will get a ton of comments I AM SO EXCITED!

wonka bbq
Anthony Polski
e-mail: anthonypolski@gmail.com

- - - Updated - - -

I joined this site because of this watch

I'm happy you like the watch build! I will be sure to message everyone who has commented in this thread if/when I create a run thread in the Classifieds. I'm working to do that by the end of the year.

I guess I don't understand are you allowed to email me and just sell me one of these over pay pal?

Anthony, no problem. To answer your question, my prop replica is a work in progress and, therefore, I am not selling copies yet. When I do, the rules of this website require me to create a project run thread in the "Classifieds > Project Run" area (see the menu at the top of the website). I am not allowed to take orders through this thread as this is intended to show, tell, and discuss projects in progress.

If I do create a project run thread, I will private message all those who have commented in this thread as a courtesy such that you all can be first to know that the project run thread is coming.

I'm uncertain as to how I will conduct sales, however it seems customary to explain details in the project run thread. You can expect either a PayPal process or a link to my Etsy shop.

As I must wait for the custom crystals to be manufactured by G-S Supplies (a six-week process beginning on November 18th) and then check that their quality is high enough for my prop replica, I hope to create the project run thread by the end of December or first week of January.

Make sense?

:)

Great work nickjm007 you are a true pro!! Please add me to any runs for this watch, I too have wanted one for years!!! Again great work!! Keep it up! I'm very excited! :)))

Quick update:

The custom mineral glass crystals have arrived and look fantastic! G-S Supplies did an excellent job.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Next, I just need to replace the wire mesh and fine tune the electroless cobalt plating. After that, all done!

Great work nickjm007 you are a true pro!! Please add me to any runs for this watch, I too have wanted one for years!!! Again great work!! Keep it up! I'm very excited! :)))

Thank you so much! I'll be sure to let you know when the official run thread is created so you can sign up.

This project is a 20 year long dream come true. Can't wait to finish.

Last edited:
Great work, Nick!

Of course, I did just notice one niggling little detail that previously escaped me... the original seems to have a seconds hand in some shots, but yours doesn't.

Then again, other shots of the original seem to lack the seconds hand. Did they make more than one prop? Did the seconds hand fall off?

Great work, Nick!

Of course, I did just notice one niggling little detail that previously escaped me... the original seems to have a seconds hand in some shots, but yours doesn't.

Then again, other shots of the original seem to lack the seconds hand. Did they make more than one prop? Did the seconds hand fall off?

Good catch! I took a few liberties.

Yes, the publicity photos found in Dick Tracy: The Making of the Movie by Mike Bonner displays the watch with no second hand. However, the film shows the watch with the second hand. I read that the jeweler who made the watches only made ten copies. Apparently, they weren't made identically. I have chosen to include a second hand in the model that I will present in the run. That way, people can take it off if they are as much of a detail person as I am.

The CJM monogram is also not present in the publicity photo or in all shots in the film. I have chosen to include my own initials on the watch—which makes me really happy in an unabashedly dorky way.

Also, the watch band pin holes go through the lugs in the film prop. They do not on my watch, because I thought it looked more handsome.

The watch band, you will notice when my final run images are out, is not identical. This is because identical bands are very expensive, so I will include a lower end smooth calf leather band that can be replaced by the owner to fit their wrist and to look however they wish.

There are some details that I can't change, however: the crown, for example, is not identical, because they do not seem available. The film prop's case tube for the crown is also thicker and built into the case—this was a manufacturing issue that I struggled with, but ultimately chose to let go.

All that said, I used real watch parts instead of making them myself, because they can be replaced if damaged or to change the look of the watch.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back