dianoga3.jpg

dianoga5.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

Scott

The eye is a half sphere from Michaels. I painted the inside. The internal structure is 1-1/2" PVC with bubble wrap and masking tape wrapped roughly (on purpose) around it. I added more bubble wrap and tape to the back to build it out. Then I taped on some rope and string to hand at the sides. The eyelids are folded over vinyl, hot glued down. I made veins running all over with hot glue.

I then slapped on liquid latex (with some tan paint mixed in), applying several coats until it was thick enough and the rough edges were smoothed out. I stuck on some horse hairs I plucked from my Weequay mask and glued them down with more latex. Once dry I painted on and wiped off brown paint, so that it would only stay in the deep areas. I added some puke green-gray to a few spots and some black in really deep areas like under the stringy parts. Took me about three evenings to make!

Scott

Very cool. How are you going to display it? I have to ask, did Lucas name every creature/character in Starwars as he wrote it? I mean it seems like even background characters have names. I'd have just called this "trash monster" lol.

I'd like to rig it with some kind of pop-up system, so it will move up and down. Maybe cannibalize a halloween decoration. I've seen some parts on ebay but they all seem to use compressed air, which I don't want to deal with.

Scott

too bad you can't find like a giant remote jack in the box mechanism. You could put it in the bottom of the display set up and have it pop up and then back down with a flip of a switch. Actually you could probably do that with some spare parts and robot kit bits if you're good at electronics.

Very cool. How are you going to display it? I have to ask, did Lucas name every creature/character in Starwars as he wrote it? I mean it seems like even background characters have names. I'd have just called this "trash monster" lol.

Most have names, home planets, backstories, etc. I knew it as dianoga (i think from SW Insiders maybe) But most creatures in the Sail Barge, Jabba Palace and Mos Eisley Cantina have names n species. No idea how he gets the ideas for em hahaa

There's a few different renditions of his full body, too. I like the green flying shark version Kenner did, though it didn't make much sense when compared to what we saw on screen.

Scott

Lucas when first making it, didn't name even name .01% of the Star Wars universe. Per the movies (4-5-6) themselves, I don't know for certain what he did/didn't name, but a LOT of the stuff that was in 1-2-3 that you see named, were from the various SW Authors. Coruscant, for example, which was the most important planet in the galaxy, was never once named in the original trilogy, and wasn't created until Zahn wrote it up in Thrawn trilogy.

Per the monster, really awesome. I saw the first image and was like "Lame", but the final product came out amazing.

Great work! Did you get the masking tape idea from working on the Zuckuss tubes? I just happened to come across that post not long ago. (My work stress relief is searching for SW character costume threads on RPF - sad, huh).

I love the shot of him(?) in the car! Reminds me of Toonces the Driving Cat and Triumph the Insult Comic Dog (sp). I should get out more often....

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back