Destiny Titan Costume Build

chinbeard

Boy howdy it's been a while since I've posted a build on here. Well, I just started a new costume build for myself and I figured I'd keep progress updated in this thread. I'm planning on working on this armor every Friday.

I've been playing a LOT of Destiny. I do love my titan, so that's what I'll be building! The majority of the build will be done with EVA foam, though the helmet will likely be a resin casting.

Today I picked which armor set pieces I want to make and started gathering references. There's a website that has a ton of STL files from Destiny that you can nab, so I gathered a whole bunch. Then I used this handy website to convert them all to OBJs and tossed them into Maya to play with. I also used Make Human to build a decent analog of my own body as a 3D mesh to "wear" the armor pieces on.

With all of the files gathered, I scaled everything up to my height and dumped a bunch of 3D meshes from Destiny so that I could "try them on".
try_on.JPG

I put all of the different types of each part (head, chest, arms, legs) into layers so I could try different combinations. Yes, I was playing virtual dress up with myself. It's super fun!
torso_layers.JPG

Once I picked out my favorites, I started editing the meshes a bit to prepare them for the build. Some of the pieces will be combined. For example I liked the from part of one chest piece and the rear of another, so I'm going to split the meshes and combine the two.
back_detail.JPG

I won't exactly be using pepakura files to build out the armor, but I will most certainly use Pepakura designer to get a head start on the templates. So I removed the unnecessary mesh faces and got down to just the flat, single plane layers of mesh that I can translate to pep.
arm_separate.JPG

That's the lion's share of work that I got done today. I'll be spending some quality time selecting, deleting, and combining faces in Maya to start getting a base for my armor templates. If anyone's interested, I live streamed most of this process on YouTube here.

I'm super stoked to build out a new set of space armor! Anyone else building Destiny stuff?

I plan on doing a Titan for my next big costuming project. However I don't do much computer stuff, so creating the files myself would not be a fun time. I figured if anything I would just eye-ball-it from my ref pics.Granted the game came out just a bit ago, but pep files for nearly any Destiny armor, no mater the class, is limited. If you do find any its most likely Hunter and a little bit of warlock helmets.
I hope to see more costumers gravitate to the Destiny style. Although it may not be a super great game, the art and culture of it is incredible and I would love to see a large costuming/prop community for Destiny.

Any way,
I hope you have fun with your build, it already looks like its gonna be sweet!

Heard you mention this thread on your livestream, eagerly waiting more pictures, it looks fantastic! Also I want a cast of the helmet someday.

Hey all! It's been a good long time since I've updated this build thread. In fact, I finished the build a couple of months ago, but didn't find the time to get it all down on paper. Luckily I did document the whole process in photos and videos over the entire 17 day process!YAY!

bill_titan01.jpg
Photo by Valentin Offner

For starters, here are a handful of live video streams that I did to show off some of the various fabrication processes:
Getting References
Fabricating the Chest Armor
Fabricating the Leg Armor
Templating and Fabricating the Helmet

Here's a breakdown of the rest of the build.
I did some pepakura to template the forearm and shoulders. For the rest of the build, I free handed the templates because I am much faster that way.
DSC_9564.jpg DSC_9646.jpg DSC_9669.jpg DSC_9896.jpg

Thicker pieces of the armor were made from stacks of L200 foam that were laminated together.
DSC_9887.jpg DSC_9894.jpg DSC_9950.jpg

The torso pieces took the longest. For the most part, they were templates on a life cast of my torso and then assembled out of layers of L200 foam. Details were carved in with a hot knife.
DSC_9901.jpg DSC_9900.jpg DSC_9905.jpg DSC_9916.jpg

I ended up sealing the armor with two layers of Epsilon from Smooth-On. In hindsight, I should have used something like PlastiDip or latex rubber. I ended up having to do a LOT of filling, sanding, and clean up work on the Epsilon and it made the armor very rigid and prone to cracking.
DSC_0075.jpg DSC_0134.jpg

After a couple of frustrating days of clean up, I was able to paint it! I also sewed a butt cape, like ya do.
DSC_0163.jpg DSC_0145.jpg DSC_0181.jpg

Other notes:
I designed the under suit in Photoshop and had it printed on lycra fabric over at FabricOnDemand.com. Then I had a friend sew it all together for me. It was a bit pricey, but well worth it!

The armor was held together with velcro, elastic, and nylon webbing straps. Some parts, like the thighs were a combo of elastic and snaps that were sewn onto the under suit.

The boots were motorcycle boots and the foot/shin covers were held on temporarily using elastic.

Total build time was about 150 hours.

I already want to re-build it... =)

bill_titan01.jpg

DSC_9564.jpg

DSC_9646.jpg

DSC_9669.jpg

DSC_9896.jpg

DSC_9887.jpg

DSC_9894.jpg

DSC_9950.jpg

DSC_9901.jpg

DSC_9900.jpg

DSC_9905.jpg

DSC_9916.jpg

DSC_0075.jpg

DSC_0134.jpg

DSC_0163.jpg

DSC_0145.jpg

DSC_0181.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Your build turned out great! Thanks for sharing your method, and the software/websites you used for planning. I have been tinkering around with them, and they are a major help for getting the models right.

What did you use to fill the mistakes from the epsilon? I am just working on some armor and have some mistakes I need to fill. I have tried some putty but it's not working how I want. I am looking for something that can fill the wholes and be sanded down nicely. Thank you in advance.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back