DESIGN UPDATE - NEW PHOTOS Die Hard (1988) Timer Box Replica Inside

Volksfrei

UPDATE: I studied the film still again and realized the circuit is populated on a pc board, much like other villain props in the film. I went back, designed a board, and had it fabricated. New photos below!

Here's a new one from Volksfrei Replica Props! This Blue Timer Box is seen toward the end of the film, when John discovers the prop atop of the HVAC unit on the roof. A few components can be seen in the film still below, but some others were added based on circuitry used in other props from the film.

As with all my Die Hard replicas, accuracy is paramount. This piece is made of 99% period components, and also beeps/flashes at the same rate as the actual prop. Only the power source is different. Old school circuitry here, no adruino or software programming.

Most of the villain props were fabricated from Radio Shack products. It takes years and countless hours to identify and source 33 year old components from a few short glimpses in the film. A few of them are still in production, unchanged since 1988! The blue project box and clear lid are by the same manufacturer, and still in production. Even the slider switch, vintage Radio Shack, but out of production, is screen-matched, as with the blue 8 position DIP switch.

Also included is a red 1980s Radio Shack 9 Volt battery, which powered the film prop and can be seen on-screen. Of course, the 33 year old battery is dead, and has been carefully de-celled to prevent acid from leaking. Two 3V coin cells wired in series power the unit, hidden from view beneath the circuit.

Look forward to more Die Hard replica props this year!
Yippie Ki Yay!

The Replica
timer.jpg

The Build
notch.jpg

switch.jpg

chip.jpg

Still from the film
hero.jpg

Attachments

• timer.jpg
    timer.jpg
    228.4 KB · Views: 576
Last edited:
Very cool, nice job! But from that one screencap, are the screws not dome-topped?
Thanks!

I think they might be pan heads? The project box includes the countersunk screws pictured on mine. Maybe in 1988 they included pan heads?

I hate that pan heads stick out, haha. I guess I took creative license there!

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back