Delete thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Robo3687 - IRON MAN Mark 4/6 Pepakura FOAM Templates -Easy to Build "Green" Versi

when they say foam, they're most likely referring to their casted urethane rigid foam. I would not use shell shock on a flexibile foam.

It cracks very easily. I've tried to use it for a mother mold shell. Wasn't the best option.
I was just curious though.
It cured very fast as well.

Re: Robo3687 - IRON MAN Mark 4/6 Pepakura FOAM Templates -Easy to Build "Green" Versi

Well im just trying to find something that will make the foam more like plastic, I am happy with the thickness of the foam seeing as it is easy to work with and I have so much of it.
The flexibility isn't the issue, its the look and feel that I want to change with the foam. Any other ideas? I dont have the means to like use a rotocast or anything like that for the foam but im open to suggestions as this is my first build.

Hello, this is my suit up to yet, about two weeks into it doing bits whenever i get opportunity. I know the standard is not fantastic but i am trying my best. Any feedback is appreciated good/back. Hopefully i will get it done for Halloween at this rate.

Well im just trying to find something that will make the foam more like plastic, I am happy with the thickness of the foam seeing as it is easy to work with and I have so much of it.
The flexibility isn't the issue, its the look and feel that I want to change with the foam. Any other ideas? I dont have the means to like use a rotocast or anything like that for the foam but im open to suggestions as this is my first build.

I don't know, I don't coat foam with resin.

If I want an easy build to make into something plastic. I just coat cardboard pieces that I built with the foam templates.

I don't see the reason in coating flexible foam to make it rigid when cardboard is virtually free to find anywhere and just as easy.

just my opinion. :thumbsup

Hey guys in my looking for materials and looking at multiple resins and castable plastics, i have found this stuff
Shell Shock® Liquid Plastic Product Information | Smooth-On
in the second paragraph of the description it says
"This product can also be brushed onto foams as an impact resistant coating that can be sanded, primed and painted (minimum 3/8" thickness recommended)"
Not sure how you guys feel about this, but i am incredibly excited knowing i can coat my thinner foam and give it a harder plastic coating that can be sanded and painted. i am currently using the 2-3mm foamies you can find atg like michaels since i was about to get 11 packs off the 40 sheet value packs for 50% off
and yes it is very flimsy but it can be reinforced with wire clothes hangers and looks like i can plastic coat it when the suit is finished with the construction faze will post pics of my progress
the scaling does fit tightly, but in my opinion, the ironman suit should be very form fitting

How did you attach the chest and back? I know Stealth uses those back pack clips, but I can't find any near me.

Also i am after some advice with the actual color painting, is it best just to take time to mask areas off for Gold and Red, eg where the faceplate meets the helmet, should i seperate the peices to spray them or mask the are once plastidipped and primered?

How did you attach the chest and back? I know Stealth uses those back pack clips, but I can't find any near me.

strapworks.com

god send of all things plastic buckles and straps. Cheaper than getting them from a local store.

You can also find them at Walmart. They sell 1in and 2in buckles. They are located in the camping supplies area.

At my local store they go for 53 cents for the 1in and 96 cents for the 2in, and they come in a pack of 2.

honestly it is just a test fit, so i just taped the two pieces together with masking tape, but i do plan to use the buckles like stealth does

honestly it is just a test fit, so i just taped the two pieces together with masking tape, but i do plan to use the buckles like stealth does

Ohhh ok I gotcha, thanks for the response!

oops double post please remove

Last edited:

I don't know, I don't coat foam with resin.

If I want an easy build to make into something plastic. I just coat cardboard pieces that I built with the foam templates.

I don't see the reason in coating flexible foam to make it rigid when cardboard is virtually free to find anywhere and just as easy.

just my opinion. :thumbsup

idk i guess im just more concerned about the color and the way it will look when its all painted
i just want it to look smooth and clean i guess haha
i know thats not really possible with foam but hey, its worth a shot :p

idk i guess im just more concerned about the color and the way it will look when its all painted

if you build it clean enough, it can look awesome. I've seen the really good foam builds around here.

Yeah it definitely can be done. Check out the suit build by xrobots. IMO he has the cleanest work out there. It's also possible to use filler in some places to make edges sharper or fill in gaps (bondo is good in some places, but nowhere that will bend much because it will crack. I'm looking for a good rubber-y filler. Maybe caulking?). I did a lot of bondo touch-up work on a bicep piece as a test, it made it look much better.

Yeah it definitely can be done. Check out the suit build by xrobots. IMO he has the cleanest work out there. It's also possible to use filler in some places to make edges sharper or fill in gaps (bondo is good in some places, but nowhere that will bend much because it will crack. I'm looking for a good rubber-y filler. Maybe caulking?). I did a lot of bondo touch-up work on a bicep piece as a test, it made it look much better.

Here's my input on this. I see this so much.

if you really want a rigid suit...
why not just use the foam templates on cardboard and save your money.
Is there really a point to buy foam if you're just going to strengthen it, then use bondo and sand etc

foam (flexible) - you have to purchase, order online. for a suit it can cost around 80-100$ worth of foam in the end.

method of coating the foam - urethane - many layers.. (Both sides of the part as well?)
Around 5 to get a decent surface that won't peel off the foam or crack.
Then sanding between each later.
Then you mentioned bondo as well.

cardboard part , easy to build with foam templates ,cardboard is practically free , Already rigid. So even the built part will hold its shape.

method of coating - fiberglass resin or epoxy resin -
1 coat outside, 1 coat inside with fiberglass, bondo, sand etc

option 2 gets you to the same point, faster and cheaper with sharper details in the end.

Not saying it can't be done, but man, what overkill with the $$$ and time spent on each part.

I'll never get this.

just my opinion.

Last edited:

Here's my input on this. I see this so much.

if you really want a rigid suit...
why not just use the foam templates on cardboard and save your money.
Is there really a point to buy foam if you're just going to strengthen it, then use bondo and sand etc

foam (flexible) - you have to purchase, order online. for a suit it can cost around 80-100$ worth of foam in the end.

method of coating the foam - urethane - many layers.. (Both sides of the part as well?)
Around 5 to get a decent surface that won't peel off the foam or crack.
Then sanding between each later.
Then you mentioned bondo as well.

cardboard part , easy to build with foam templates ,cardboard is practically free , Already rigid. So even the built part will hold its shape.

method of coating - fiberglass resin or epoxy resin -
1 coat outside, 1 coat inside with fiberglass, bondo, sand etc

option 2 gets you to the same point, faster and cheaper with sharper details in the end.

Not saying it can't be done, but man, what overkill with the $$$ and time spent on each part.

I'll never get this.

just my opinion.

Makes sense, im just gonna finish the foam build and see how much time i have before halloween to paint and all that
Thanks for the advice and help with all the tutorials and files, thanks to you my childhood dream of really looking like ironman can finally come true haha! :p

Hey guys!

Just wanted to start by saying thanks to Stealth and Robo for these files and templates, thanks to everyone in this thread that has posted their results, literally ANYthing is helpful to a noob. I must've read this thread front to back at least 10 times, fortunately a lot of downtime at work :)

I just wanted to throw a couple of my progress photos up, hopefully give me a recharge. Maybe I can help answer some ?'s, too...

These are slightly older photos, all I have left to construct is the thighs and still trying to figure out best way to do the abs. And make cod bathroom friendly, ha

Funny that you guys are talking about the coating foam thing now, as you can see I have started. My personal reasoning was I wanted to cover the seams, not so much after a particularly rigid suit. Started the foam because its less monotonous than folding 600,000 tabs, and had the idea of trying rondo on foam. Came across docholiday's thread way back when it was just a couple pages, thus confirming my idea.

Tho, I did screw up a bit :facepalm

Also, the other thing about my build that seems to be slightly different than the norm is I use super glue (Loctite, specifically) when attaching my pieces together, and once I have a piece done, I go over the insides with the hot glue gun. I don't know about anyone else, but I despise hot glue, its just so frustrating to work with, so I keep its use to the minimum. Seems to work just as well as solely using hot glue and you dont have to deal with the bull.

quick question, how many people are using the brace for the chest and back, also how is the chest being attached to the back, ive noticed that there is supposed to be a gap between the two pieces

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back