Deep Space 9

I'm gonna post one last B5 related item before stopping (since the topic is Deep Space 9, and it seems we're getting a bit off course). But I saw this via Facebook, and all I can say is "DANG! Is this guy a member of the RPF?" This model is 8 1/2 feet long, the main body does have the ability to rotate (though I don't know if there are motors installed into it) and it took the guy who made it five years to build this beast (also, he got it signed by Bruce Boxleitner). I swear, it looks almost like it could be used as a studio scale model.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/83103208@N00/sets/72157619141620848

I keep hearing the Bab-5 ripped off DS9 and DS9 ripped off Bab-5 all the time, and frankly, I'm sick of it. Both are excellent shows with many points of commonality. Personally, I just don't care, as I enjoy both shows.

This argument is about as productive as the Hunger Games/Battle Royale debate. Both sides have valid points. Both have evidence in both directions. None of them are gonna back down, so they need to just shut up and enjoy the show.

I keep hearing the Bab-5 ripped off DS9 and DS9 ripped off Bab-5 all the time, and frankly, I'm sick of it. Both are excellent shows with many points of commonality. Personally, I just don't care, as I enjoy both shows.

This argument is about as productive as the Hunger Games/Battle Royale debate. Both sides have valid points. Both have evidence in both directions. None of them are gonna back down, so they need to just shut up and enjoy the show.

I agree about the B5/DS9 thing.

But clearly The Hunger Games rips off not only Battle Royale, but also Stephen King's The Long Walk and The Running Man. But that's just my opinion.

All of which rip off Theseus and the Minotaur. What's your point?

Don't need a point. Just stating my opinion, that's all. A point is a thesis for an argument. An opinion is not an argument, it's a person's point of view on a certain topic. Since you brought up a topic, I expressed by point of view on the topic and that's all I had to say about it. There's nothing to argue about, unless you wish to continue a discussion on that topic. But since you expressed your opinion previously, and I have just expressed mine, there's not much else to discuss because both opinions do not have a thesis.

BTW, what does Theseus killing a child-eating half man/half bull have to do with anything about human beings pitted against each other in a game of death and survival in a dog-eat-dog world for the amusement of others?

Last edited:
BTW, what does Theseus killing a child-eating half man/half bull have to do with anything about human beings pitted against each other in a game of death and survival in a dog-eat-dog world for the amusement of others?

Because that is exactly what the backstory of Theseus and the Minotaur is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theseus#The_myth_of_Theseus_and_the_Minotaur

It's all there. A brutal totalitarian government enforces the ritualistic slaying of its subjects as punishment for past transgressions, as entertainment for the masses, and as a way to keep the population scared of the government and divided (therefore unable to form an organized rebellion) until someone breaks the rules and eventually stops the ritualistic slayings. That is the core story of The Hunger Games, The Running Man, and Battle Royale.

Because that is exactly what the backstory of Theseus and the Minotaur is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theseus#The_myth_of_Theseus_and_the_Minotaur

It's all there. A brutal totalitarian government enforces the ritualistic slaying of its subjects as punishment for past transgressions, as entertainment for the masses, and as a way to keep the population scared of the government and divided (therefore unable to form an organized rebellion) until someone breaks the rules and eventually stops the ritualistic slayings. That is the core story of The Hunger Games, The Running Man, and Battle Royale.

Okay, thanks for clearing that up. I can see how you could think that. Have you considered using the story of Spartacus, the Thracian gladiator, as a better and less confusing parallel for comparison to HG and BR than Theseus and the Minotaur? Especially since Spartacus' story shares a lot more common details, such as being taken from his home, forced into participating in a life and death competition and then lead an attempted uprising (for BR, there's no such thing in the book, but the second film, which a lot of people don't like, does deal with an attempted uprising)?

Okay, thanks for clearing that up. I can see how you could think that. Have you considered using the story of Spartacus, the Thracian gladiator, as a better and less confusing parallel for comparison to HG and BR than Theseus and the Minotaur? Especially since Spartacus' story shares a lot more common details, such as being taken from his home, forced into participating in a life and death competition and then lead an attempted uprising (for BR, there's no such thing in the book, but the second film, which a lot of people don't like, does deal with an attempted uprising)?

Actually, you can use both, as even Suzanne Collins states that her inspiration for the Hunger Games was both Theseus and the Minotaur and the story of Spartacus.

I just listed Theseus because it's an older story than Spartacus.

Actually, you can use both, as even Suzanne Collins states that her inspiration for the Hunger Games was both Theseus and the Minotaur and the story of Spartacus.

I just listed Theseus because it's an older story than Spartacus.

Okay. Honestly, when it comes to Theseus' story with the Minotaur, I remember covering it briefly when attending Greek Mythology at FSU (we covered also other adventures with him briefly as well). The class primarily covered the who, the where, and they why for the stories we had to read. I don't even recall there being any mention of totalitarian governments. Then again, this was back in 2005, so most of my memories about that class are a little hazy at best. Wasn't the reason why King Minos was feeding the Minotaur because it was his son? Or was that some other character from Greek Mythology I'm confusing him with?

The Minotaur was not his son. It was the child of Minos' wife Pasiphae and the Cretan Bull. Apparently, the mythological Greeks were into some seriously kinky stuff...

The Minotaur was not his son. It was the child of Minos' wife Pasiphae and the Cretan Bull. Apparently, the mythological Greeks were into some seriously kinky stuff...

Ah, okay. I was in the area about the Minotaur's relation to the king (I was off by one person, apparently). Yeah, they were a little bit odd. I mean, Zeus, disguised as a swan, knocking up Leda. The Gods and Goddesses all married to one another, yet are also brothers and sisters to one another. Even in modern storytelling, you wouldn't see things like that.

Crap! I just realized we've gone completely off topic again. Sorry OP. Let's make this the last off-topic post and get this back on track.

I know this isn't a B5 thread, but since it was your first time watching B5, I would love to hear your thoughts on the show. Especially since it is very new to you 20 years later!

I know this isn't a B5 thread, but since it was your first time watching B5, I would love to hear your thoughts on the show. Especially since it is very new to you 20 years later!
Are you talking to me? I saw it when it was first on the air, although the last few episodes were tricky to see because TBS kept moving the day and time around. I meant I finished DS9.

DS9 had its moments, both good and bad.

I went to Denver Comic Con a few weeks ago, and they had some of the TNG cast there, including Michael Dorn (aka Worf) who was on both TNG and DS9.

Somebody asked the question of, "What was your favorite TNG episode for each of your characters?" Another fan followed it up with, "Michael, what was your favorite DS9 episode for Worf?" to which Marina Sirtis (Troi) quickly replied, "You mean Deep Sleep Nine?"

The whole place went up in laughter.

Sean

I just saw a video Doug Drexler made of the set. Some of the companies listed on the directory might be familiar to you.

[video=vimeo;99245643]http://vimeo.com/99245643[/video]

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back