DeBoers Enterprise.

Neo-uk

I've just acquired one of these but the top of the saucer is warped :(
Anyone have any idea on the best way to fix this ?
I've heated it up and tried that.

Is it resin? I had a Time Machine dish that was badly warped that I laid on a flat surface and put some weights on top of. I came back to it after a couple of weeks and it was just like new. Try also to ping Steve Neill or Commander Max for some advice. I remember reading one of their posts a while back about the same issue and how they fixed it.

It's fibreglass with webbing in places on the back.
I heated it up with a paint stripper (quite hot).
Looking on the net at others it seems they have metal braces to keep the shape but this ones just fibreglass. I'm guessing this was an early release before the metal supports were added to the kit.

I'm starting to think it might be quicker to build a new saucer top. ( might be quicker but I don't know if it will be easier )

I did Blackbird and was told
"they only guarantee missing or damaged parts in shipping. We do have replacement top saucer for $260.00 plus shipping,if you need a new one. It is lined with carbon fiber which is better. You can let me know if you need one. "
Fair enough if it's missing or damaged in shipping, but what if it's not a good cast in the first place (lumpy and bumpy).
I think I need to find someone on here to CAD me a new one so I can get it 3D printed.

It's hard to see just how distended the section is in that picture, but it looks like you might be able to body-fill the cracks then build up material on the inside of the saucer (let's say you use Apoxie Sculpt for the sake of argument, but I haven't used it before) and sand your way to victory. Then you just need re-scribe the panels. You're gonna need to body-fill and sand anyway; there is a lot of glass fiber texture showing and I'd personally want to knock the gloss off for better paint adhesion.

Worst case, is you can contact Dennis for a replacement. I've built a number his designs and they were all excellent, in fact, I'm working on a Seaview CII as we speak. In your case, I'm a bit taken back.

Tommie

I'm not going to pay $266 for a replacement of a substandard part, plus the postage on top then whatever the uk customs decide to add on as well.

I decided to make my own replacement Enterprise saucer top.
Glad I did, it's turned out ok. Here are some pictures of the process.

Here's the starting point.
I had the side profile laser cut out of MDF and four out of acrylic. I glued them down to a base board I made out four wedge components.

DeBoers 1.jpg

The next stage was to fill in the gaps with insulation foam ( great stuff ).

DeBoers 3.jpg

DeBoers 4.jpg

Last edited:
I put up a wall around it a let the last layer just settle without touching it, to get it rally smooth.

DeBoers%207_zpsmmfw6ktd.jpg

DB9_zpshtqwvg8p.jpg

Attachments

• DeBoers 5.jpg
    DeBoers 5.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 93
  • DeBoers 7.jpg
    DeBoers 7.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 102
Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back