Death Star Plans

genZOD

Sr Member
Hello All. I've just started a new project: Death Star Plans. I think it's going to be pretty straightforward. I drew up these plans based on photos of the original prop I found online. Most of the replicas that I could find seem to omit a bunch of detail. I think that my drawings are pretty close. Any obvious mistakes? Do any of you know how tall/wide the thing is? Or, does anyone know the size of the slot on R2 that received the card? I've seen the width of the card called out as being 2.75 inches. I was planning to make the card 2 or 3 mm thick. That seemed right when looking at the scene where Princess Leia gave R2 the plans. The data card will be made from pieces of engraved acrylic with faux metal finishes (because that's what I have). The bit at the bottom will be 3D printed with a finish that looks (I hope) like the worn plastic from the prop.

Anyway, I'm making one for myself and one as a present.

Attachments

• death-star-plans.jpg
    death-star-plans.jpg
    682.8 KB · Views: 251
Cool, thanks! I'm mostly going from this picture of what is supposed to be the Rogue One prop. This prop seems thinner than the one from A New Hope, but I like the details.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-05-12 at 11.13.29 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-05-12 at 11.13.29 AM.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 213
Where did you find that pic?

As far as I know no one has ever ID'ed the one from ANH
The picture is of the Rogue One prop, not ANH. I like the details, but will make it thicker to look more like (my impression) of the prop when it’s inserted into R2. I’ve never seen a clear still or picture of the ANH version. I don’t think one exists. I’d love to be wrong…

Count me in as interested if you decide to make a run of these beyond the couple you are doing for your own project! I've been wanting to replace my misplaced card for a while now. Back in 2017 there was this run that was very nice (where I got mine then):

Death Star plans card

This was my card from that run:

5D3_1852_small.jpg

And here is what the rear of the screen-used prop looked like (which I see from your post above is the same):

Card Back_zpsmbdxp3ux.png~original.png

5D3_1721.jpg

Looking forward to a new run of these!

Dan

Just throwing this out for discussion. When the topic was first discussed around here, someone once speculated the original A New Hope prop may have been part of a vintage camera like a dark slide. As in, Come join me on the dark slide.

View attachment 1700713
I thought it made sense with all the other vintage camera parts used in the film.
I stand beside you with that

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back