Deactivated C96 DL-44 Canadian build

TFrosst

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Just received the base for my DL-44 future build guys. Dates to 1905 so the safety lever is off but these are next to impossible to find here in Canada. No legal issues with this as it's a deactivated pistol with papers so completely legal with or without a firearms license. It's been re-blued at some point so I feel less guilty doing stuff to it, lol. The thing even came with an original shoulder stock.

If anyone has a lead on or is willing to sell a steel bull barrel and flash hider from one of the original DEC runs, please contact me. I had a set but had to sell it at the time. Anyway, this isn't going to be a fast build by any means. Just looking forward to getting back into things as I've been away from all this far too long.

IMG_3507.JPG

-Tom

Looks like a fantastic base to work off of. The safety could easily be swapped out if you so choose. If you want to add a real Hensoldt, I have a 2-3/4, which can easily be modified, by changing the adjustments, to be a dead ringer for the 3x.

Unfortunately, can't swap the safety as I can't break down the pistol at all - apart from the grips. They're pretty strict with the deactivations now. You used to be able to find a "cock and click" version, but now, nothing moves but the safety and the trigger. Everything else is welded up.

PM sent on the scope as i'm not exactly sure how it looks.

If anyone else has parts to sell for this build, i'm open to PM's. I'd love to make this as accurate as possible. I am in on the affordable blaster kit DEC is making now, which looks amazing for the price. I would be much happier with steel/original parts though.

One thing I did find is that the grips are original to the gun. Not bad for a 109 year old pistol.

-Tom

That is a beauty. Too bad that had you sold your old DEC kit to me, then.. You've got PM. ;)

I stumbled upon this page today that explains the differences between pre-war and wartime Mausers safety mechanisms.
I think the hole in the the safety lever could be filled up. The only other visible difference seems to be that the wartime gun has some engraving on the back of the hammer.

Yes, the wartime ones do have an extra engraving. Mine only has the serial number.

I have found another piece of information that makes me very hesitant to work on this gun. As the grips are original, I've discovered the original owners name on the inside. A bit of searching has shown me that it belonged to a Lieutenant in the Canadian over seas expeditionary force, the group that fought in WW1. The gun has been through a lot and I'm just not sure if it deserves to be chopped up for a Han Blaster OR if making the blaster would be a fitting project for it.

An gun with provenance. Awesome!

On the other hand... I am not sure, but perhaps it could be converted into a so called "Luke Blaster" in a way that it is completely reversible. That prop was held by Luke in close-ups and is also the one that Han fires at Vader with.
The big difficulty would be how to the get the barrel with the front sight through the flash hider. The rest of the conversion parts would only need to be glued on.

Wow, nice score! It's been a while since I've last seen a Mauser deac, they aren't that common. (I was luck just to et my one MGC.) If you wanted to do a DL-44 without damaging the Mauser itself, I seem to distantly remember a variant of the DL-44 that had the ROTJ type mount without any flash hider, and the original barrel length and front sight. Here: Visual Guide to The Han Solo DL-44 Blaster Prop Replica Saga - Tested It is on page 77 of 83. I know that the ANH variant is the one you want to do, and the same with me (it's by far my favorite), but I don't think that there's really any way to mod it to a DL-44 without making at least SOME significant modifications to the Mauser base, which would cripple it's collector's value(whatever a deac would be worth, I don't know). If I were you, I'd personally keep it in it's original state, and just look for a poorer condition Mauser, an MGC, or even use a Denix as a temporary base. Living in Canada, I understand that chances like these are few and far in between, but I would ho with my gut in this case. Whatever turns out, I'm sure will be great! :D :thumbsup

Ok, question guys. Is the barrel of the c96 longer than the bull barrel with flash hider on it? I ask because I'm thinking of ways to keep the barrel the way it is.

Even if it wasn't longer, the barrel tip would be visible through the flash hider's holes.

That is one reason why I suggest a ESB blaster: the flash hider is mostly solid. Provided that the flash hider is thick enough at the base of the cone, you could drill through to make the barrel fit through and use a disc at end top to cover the hole(s) that you had drilled.
Also, if you decided to make a ANH version, it is not certain that you would be able to make the DEC kit's bull barrel fit - as I understand it, it was apparently designed to fit a MGC.

I'm going to think of something. I understand that the muzzle would be visible through the holes, but i'm ok with that as long as the barrel doesn't stick out past the end. Can anyone tell me the exact length of the completed plaster? or at least from where the bull barrel start to the tip of the flash hider.

On another note. Just acquired this little item. Hasn't arrived yet but can't wait to get it. Now all I need is an original M81 flash hider, lol

$_57.JPG

Even if it wasn't longer, the barrel tip would be visible through the flash hider's holes.

That is one reason why I suggest a ESB blaster: the flash hider is mostly solid. Provided that the flash hider is thick enough at the base of the cone, you could drill through to make the barrel fit through and use a disc at end top to cover the hole(s) that you had drilled.
Also, if you decided to make a ANH version, it is not certain that you would be able to make the DEC kit's bull barrel fit - as I understand it, it was apparently designed to fit a MGC.

No...DEC´s bull barrels -sleeve versions- were designed for either a DENIX or a REAL/ MGC C96, these fit both since the differences are marginal.
Anyway, IF you plan to keep the barrel in its current length, you´d have to a) remove the front sight to fit it through the booster/ FH combo and b) enlarge the hole booster to fit the barrel through.

I know it´s hard, but cut the barrel down.
You´ll have to "destroy" the C96´s body by drilling/ tapping holes for the mounts anyway, so why not go the full mile!? ;)

Markus

I'm going to think of something. I understand that the muzzle would be visible through the holes, but i'm ok with that as long as the barrel doesn't stick out past the end. Can anyone tell me the exact length of the completed plaster? or at least from where the bull barrel start to the tip of the flash hider.

On another note. Just acquired this little item. Hasn't arrived yet but can't wait to get it. Now all I need is an original M81 flash hider, lol

View attachment 330645

Nice find with the Hensoldt! I think that yours will be an interesting project. :D

No...DEC´s bull barrels -sleeve versions- were designed for either a DENIX or a REAL/ MGC C96, these fit both since the differences are marginal.
I was thinking of what Scottjua posted about his conversion:
My sleeve barrel wouldn’t slide far enough back to make it look prop accurate for me, so I had to file away some of the barrel material to get it to sit where I thought it should. I used reference pics of course to get there.
[...]
http://scottandtemphotography.com/graflexSaber/LiveFire/IMG_4960.jpg
I have a cast of a MGC that I tested the DEC bull barrel on and it looked like it fit very well, but yes, it is a cast and there is some percent of shrinkage.
I see now, I think... they were designed to almost fit. :confused Tradeoffs I guess ...

Anyway. I measure the DEC bull barrel, booster and flash hider to be 5.05" or 128 mm.

I can understand that someone does not want to destroy a pristine historical artifact just to make a movie prop. I couldn't stomach to destroy a pristine Exactra calculator for my Obi-Wan lightsaber, and as someone who also collects vintage computer equipment I felt like a criminal when I trashed a vintage HP computer for its circuit board edge connectors.

The C96´s have quite a range of slight manufacturing tolerances, so yes...a "perfect" fit could be a problem, depending on what model/ aera C96 you´re using for your build (just like all the variations of the H&W 3x).

p.s: Once you got over the first expensive (!) and historical item you´ve destroyed during prop-construction, it keeps getting more and more easy. I am used to it already :lol

Markus

Haha. Thanks guys

With regards to the barrel issue. I've already come up with a solution: I'm going to have two halves of the bull barrel/booster made so I will not have to actually slip anything on. The two halves will be joined over the barrel and then the flash hider goes on as intended. How does that sound?

If this were just another C96 with no known history behind it, I wouldn't care to do stuff to it. The problem arose when I took the grips off and saw the name. I should have just left the damn grips on the gun.

On the other hand... I am not sure, but perhaps it could be converted into a so called "Luke Blaster" in a way that it is completely reversible. That prop was held by Luke in close-ups and is also the one that Han fires at Vader with

Not planning to derail this thread, but are you implying that there was a combined Luke/ Han blaster only?! There are definately TWO different props, both based on life firing C96's as far as I can tell.

Markus

Last edited:
Update: Received my HW Dialyt 3x scope yesterday. Amazing original finish for a WWI sniper scope. optics are crystal clear. Sadly, I have had to put the mauser up for sale. I'm hoping I don't have to put the scope up as well but who knows. Anyway, here are some pics:

IMG_3640.JPG
IMG_3635.JPG
IMG_3636.JPG
IMG_3638.JPG
IMG_3639.JPG

Nice Hensoldt! I wouldn't mind picking up the Mauser, or even the Hensoldt, if it becomes open. Could you possibly provide a link to the Mauser's sale location plz? :angel

A beautiful old scope!

Not planning to derail this thread, but are you implying that there was a combined Luke/ Han blaster only?! There are definately TWO different props, both based on life firing C96's as far as I can tell.
Oh. Yes, I did. I had remembered that from an old post. I didn't know that they had been identified as being different props.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back