DC Animated movies

Father

Sr Member
The latest being Batman vs Robin. Watched it this weekend and I have to say it was very underwhelming.
Not crazy about the arrogance of Damien Wayne or how the apparent strength of a 10 year old boy is somehow matched with his fighting ability... able to knock >250lb guys down with minimal effort? There were a few parts to a few fights where they tossed him around pretty good, but overall I would say the level of stamina in this kid is ridiculous.

I didn't care much for the story either. Love the art style they have been using, but it wasn't able to carry the story.

I don't see many of the DC Animated movies being discussed anywhere (possible I missed them).
There have been some that were entertaining. But they seem to be getting weaker lately.
Throne of Atlantis was ok.
Son of Batman was ok.
Assault on Arkham was good.
Flashpoint Paradox was good.

The next one, Gods & Monsters, looks like a stinker though.

Dc use to have the best animated movies and kept voice actors the same for decades, which they generally still do with Kevin Conroy as batman, but after a while the quality has gone down a lot.

Assault on arkham was great animated movie. the last few however were fun to watch but not of the same quality like lets say uder the red hood or even older, doomsday. Saw the trailer for gods and monsters and will hold onto judgement till i see it but have to agree that at this time its not lookin too good. Not too mention that this is made by bruce timm...

I've always and still do enjoy DC's animated movies and I rather enjoyed both Son of Batman and Batman vs. Robin although I do agree that Damion was way overpowered, I don't think that any 10 year old could do some of the things that he did no matter how well trained.

I've always and still do enjoy DC's animated movies and I rather enjoyed both Son of Batman and Batman vs. Robin although I do agree that Damion was way overpowered, I don't think that any 10 year old could do some of the things that he did no matter how well trained.

Weakening both nightwing and batman for the sake of damian was idd one of the only things that i dint like but other then that very enjoyable animated movies.

Chronicles from the upcoming animated justice league: Gods and Monsters.

Last edited by a moderator:
There was a golden era there for a while but they have been losing me.
And why they have not done another Wonder Woman feature burns my bacon.

Last edited:
It seems to me that once DC did the Flashpoint Paradox movie and introduced the New 52 into the DCAU, the quality of films has pretty much plummeted.

My personal favorites:

Green Lantern: First Flight
Wonder Woman
Justice League: Doom
Superman/Batman: Apocalypse
Justice League: The New Frontier (I just like that retro feel)
Batman: Under The Red Hood

I'd like to point out to the MOS detractors that this clip features a level of metropolis destruction similar to Zod's world engine, and it was written by Bruce Timm, the man responsible for the great TV JLA and other animated of that era, the same man most of these detractors claim should be the Kevin Feige of DC and wouldn't have allowed Snyder's script. And yet here we are... I won't hold the killing of brainiac in this however, since this is an alternate superman. Although Timm did say recently he wanted to have Superman snap Doomsday's neck, so...

I was a bit doubtful with JL Gods & Monsters but it looks like Timm's gonna deliver another solid piece of work yet again. I've been disappointed with all the DC animated films that came out after Flashpoint Paradox, so really looking forward to something good for a change.

Gods & Monsters looks like it's going to be awesome, I'm so glad that they're going back to the old Justice League style of character designs.

On a slightly different note, anybody else think that bald headed guy in the White House scene looks, and sort of sounds, like Dr. Scratchnsniff from the Animaniacs?

Just watched JL: Gods & Monsters, can't say I was too impressed. It's an overall better effort than some of the recent DC animation efforts but the premise was rather uneventful for a JL movie. The central theme of checks and balances gets a bit lost towards the back half of the film, and the villain reveal tries so hard to be a major twist but ends up being a yawner. In fact with Timm's involvement, this felt more akin to his TV efforts but not even one of his better episodes. I also didn't think they did a good enough job trying to draw audiences in to the alternate Holy Trinity, since all they did was go over their origins and not much more. El Supermuchacho is the only one with any sort of character development throughout the film, but it was limited at best.

Personally I thought it would've been better to switch the origin scenes with the clips they released for each JL member, as those clips better conveyed the personalities of each member and how they differed from the classic Holy Trinity.

Just watched JL: Gods & Monsters, can't say I was too impressed. It's an overall better effort than some of the recent DC animation efforts but the premise was rather uneventful for a JL movie. The central theme of checks and balances gets a bit lost towards the back half of the film, and the villain reveal tries so hard to be a major twist but ends up being a yawner. In fact with Timm's involvement, this felt more akin to his TV efforts but not even one of his better episodes. I also didn't think they did a good enough job trying to draw audiences in to the alternate Holy Trinity, since all they did was go over their origins and not much more. El Supermuchacho is the only one with any sort of character development throughout the film, but it was limited at best.

Personally I thought it would've been better to switch the origin scenes with the clips they released for each JL member, as those clips better conveyed the personalities of each member and how they differed from the classic Holy Trinity.

Well, there's that and El Supermuchacho's (love that name, by the way) Steve Buscemi-level bags under his eyes...

I for one loved the new take on the new trinity/justice league while still kind of maintaining the main focus of why they are the justice league. It was overal a fun animated movie ( The superman short was still my fav tho). They dint really have to show the clips also into the animated seeing as they were already introduced as 3 separate episodes that will be released most likely with dvd/Blu ray. I watched em before so i dint need more or less origin.

Onto the next upcoming animated The killing joke. So it looks like mark hammill is confirmed to take on the joker again. So one can only hope that kevin conroy will be the batman ofc. I dare say next to BvS i am more excited for this the any other release. episode build up and would be like

I'm surprised it's getting such bad reviews given it's a Bruce Timm project, usually his DC stuff hits it right out of park. Wish they'd bring back Justice League or Batman Beyond.

I enjoy most DC Animated outings, even of late - Son of Batman was my least favourite, but they came back pretty strong in Batman vs Robin. Love flashpoint, love under the red hood, quite enjoyed war, throne of atlantis a steady OK, and I really quite enjoyed the different take in Gods and Monsters. It was a great alternate story. Mostly for Dexters voice as batman though. Heavily enjoyed that. I just mostly appreciate that we receive this medium at all really, whereas Marvel really dont do well with their animated equivalents.

Cannot wait for the killing joke. With bruce timm involved I hope it means they retain the same heavy notions instead of trying to make it "more palatable".

So Killing Joke is in the works? That could be awesome.

I prefer the animation/art style from the Young Justice series, which seemed to carry over to the DC Animated movies for a while.
The style for Gods and Monsters was more like Justice League which is tired in my opinion.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back