DC Animated movies

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by Father, Apr 20, 2015.

1. Father

Father Sr Member

The latest being Batman vs Robin. Watched it this weekend and I have to say it was very underwhelming.
    Not crazy about the arrogance of Damien Wayne or how the apparent strength of a 10 year old boy is somehow matched with his fighting ability... able to knock >250lb guys down with minimal effort? There were a few parts to a few fights where they tossed him around pretty good, but overall I would say the level of stamina in this kid is ridiculous.

I didn't care much for the story either. Love the art style they have been using, but it wasn't able to carry the story.

I don't see many of the DC Animated movies being discussed anywhere (possible I missed them).
    There have been some that were entertaining. But they seem to be getting weaker lately.
    Throne of Atlantis was ok.
    Son of Batman was ok.
    Assault on Arkham was good.
    Flashpoint Paradox was good.

The next one, Gods & Monsters, looks like a stinker though.

2. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

Dc use to have the best animated movies and kept voice actors the same for decades, which they generally still do with Kevin Conroy as batman, but after a while the quality has gone down a lot.

3. Mektar

Mektar Well-Known Member

Assault on arkham was great animated movie. the last few however were fun to watch but not of the same quality like lets say uder the red hood or even older, doomsday. Saw the trailer for gods and monsters and will hold onto judgement till i see it but have to agree that at this time its not lookin too good. Not too mention that this is made by bruce timm...

4. Riceball

Riceball Sr Member

I've always and still do enjoy DC's animated movies and I rather enjoyed both Son of Batman and Batman vs. Robin although I do agree that Damion was way overpowered, I don't think that any 10 year old could do some of the things that he did no matter how well trained.

5. Mektar

Mektar Well-Known Member

Weakening both nightwing and batman for the sake of damian was idd one of the only things that i dint like but other then that very enjoyable animated movies.

6. Mektar

Mektar Well-Known Member

Chronicles from the upcoming animated justice league: Gods and Monsters.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
  7. CessnaDriver

CessnaDriver Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

There was a golden era there for a while but they have been losing me.
    And why they have not done another Wonder Woman feature burns my bacon.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
  8. dipti

dipti Jr Member

I also love DC animated movies a lot.

9. The Mad Professor

The Mad Professor Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

It seems to me that once DC did the Flashpoint Paradox movie and introduced the New 52 into the DCAU, the quality of films has pretty much plummeted.

My personal favorites:

Green Lantern: First Flight
    Wonder Woman
    Justice League: Doom
    Superman/Batman: Apocalypse
    Justice League: The New Frontier (I just like that retro feel)
    Batman: Under The Red Hood

10. teragon

teragon Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'd like to point out to the MOS detractors that this clip features a level of metropolis destruction similar to Zod's world engine, and it was written by Bruce Timm, the man responsible for the great TV JLA and other animated of that era, the same man most of these detractors claim should be the Kevin Feige of DC and wouldn't have allowed Snyder's script. And yet here we are... I won't hold the killing of brainiac in this however, since this is an alternate superman. Although Timm did say recently he wanted to have Superman snap Doomsday's neck, so...

11. third3ye

third3ye Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I was a bit doubtful with JL Gods & Monsters but it looks like Timm's gonna deliver another solid piece of work yet again. I've been disappointed with all the DC animated films that came out after Flashpoint Paradox, so really looking forward to something good for a change.

Riceball likes this.
  12. Riceball

Riceball Sr Member

Gods & Monsters looks like it's going to be awesome, I'm so glad that they're going back to the old Justice League style of character designs.

On a slightly different note, anybody else think that bald headed guy in the White House scene looks, and sort of sounds, like Dr. Scratchnsniff from the Animaniacs?

13. Mektar

Mektar Well-Known Member

Right around the time that Timm stopped working or was involved in any way with dc animated projects. :p

14. Mektar

Mektar Well-Known Member

15. third3ye

Just watched JL: Gods & Monsters, can't say I was too impressed. It's an overall better effort than some of the recent DC animation efforts but the premise was rather uneventful for a JL movie. The central theme of checks and balances gets a bit lost towards the back half of the film, and the villain reveal tries so hard to be a major twist but ends up being a yawner. In fact with Timm's involvement, this felt more akin to his TV efforts but not even one of his better episodes. I also didn't think they did a good enough job trying to draw audiences in to the alternate Holy Trinity, since all they did was go over their origins and not much more. El Supermuchacho is the only one with any sort of character development throughout the film, but it was limited at best.

Personally I thought it would've been better to switch the origin scenes with the clips they released for each JL member, as those clips better conveyed the personalities of each member and how they differed from the classic Holy Trinity.

16. The Mad Professor

The Mad Professor Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Well, there's that and El Supermuchacho's (love that name, by the way) Steve Buscemi-level bags under his eyes...

17. Mektar

Mektar Well-Known Member

I for one loved the new take on the new trinity/justice league while still kind of maintaining the main focus of why they are the justice league. It was overal a fun animated movie ( The superman short was still my fav tho). They dint really have to show the clips also into the animated seeing as they were already introduced as 3 separate episodes that will be released most likely with dvd/Blu ray. I watched em before so i dint need more or less origin.

Onto the next upcoming animated The killing joke. So it looks like mark hammill is confirmed to take on the joker again. So one can only hope that kevin conroy will be the batman ofc. I dare say next to BvS i am more excited for this the any other release. episode build up and would be like

18. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

I'm surprised it's getting such bad reviews given it's a Bruce Timm project, usually his DC stuff hits it right out of park. Wish they'd bring back Justice League or Batman Beyond.

19. Fawbish

Fawbish Sr Member

I enjoy most DC Animated outings, even of late - Son of Batman was my least favourite, but they came back pretty strong in Batman vs Robin. Love flashpoint, love under the red hood, quite enjoyed war, throne of atlantis a steady OK, and I really quite enjoyed the different take in Gods and Monsters. It was a great alternate story. Mostly for Dexters voice as batman though. Heavily enjoyed that. I just mostly appreciate that we receive this medium at all really, whereas Marvel really dont do well with their animated equivalents.

Cannot wait for the killing joke. With bruce timm involved I hope it means they retain the same heavy notions instead of trying to make it "more palatable".

20. Father

Father Sr Member

So Killing Joke is in the works? That could be awesome.

I prefer the animation/art style from the Young Justice series, which seemed to carry over to the DC Animated movies for a while.
    The style for Gods and Monsters was more like Justice League which is tired in my opinion.

Riceball likes this.
  21. jaganar

jaganar Active Member

loved GODS AND MONSTERS
    ( but i wasnt expecting darksied to go down in his flashback , the 52 darksied yes ,but not the classic one)

rewatched phantasm this weekend ( and still hunting the version where joker dies) and it all came back , the reason why i fell for my clown .
    rotj ( still need the 3rd version to my colleftion ) classic and i can rewatch that just like heaths "killing joke" film.

im glad that DC is going dark like they did when fox had the first run of the bat cartoon, because we cant have stupid cartoons ruling the way the next generations sees animation (looking at you uncle granpa/titans go/ and every dumb as frakk cartoon on CN)

if DC decides to go and give us 2 different types of cartoon movies ( g rated like the GREEN LANTERN FILMS and then mature like GnM /BB uncut) ill be content.
    if not i always have utube to get my DC game cinematics *arkham knight* which is an amazing 5hr long bat film

22. jaganar

jaganar Active Member

see dude , with RED HOOD every time i watch it i cant stop seeing a purple suit with benders face >__> , then you have brent (data) when he took over on young justice ...a mediocre joker that will soon be topped by pretty boy
    LETO

i find nothing wrong with changing it up but when im dealing with TARA as my beloved wifu , it just divebombs my mood cus she presents harley as annoying with none of the charm ,like arleen couldnt get the role she inspired in rock's trilogy fer fox sake. when robocop took over kevins role in the movie that was perfect casting but then you remember troy was a MEH level joker *to me anyway* couldnt they have gotten 10 or 9 from doctor who as the voice .

23. Riceball

Riceball Sr Member

As a fan of the original Teen Titan I have to say that Teen Titans Go! isn't all that bad of a show, granted that it's completely different from the original it's still good. It's actually quite funny and not only is the voice cast the same, the writers frequently like to include nods and call backs to the original show. In the past they've shown The Hive, Aqualad, Kid Flash, Mad Mod, Tara, and they've even had the characters from Young Justice in a recent episode. The show can be a bit silly at times but it's not all toilet humor and fart jokes kind of silly and the running jokes about Robin's neuroses are rather funny.

jaganar and Wes R like this.
  24. jaganar

jaganar Active Member

its a hit an miss for me ballzy ,dont get me wrong LADY LEGAGUS was perfect ( but i cant stand how most of the cartoons today have dumbed down the writing to just fart jokes, or the lame animation style which as an artist is just plain lazy )

for example UNCLE GRANPA, ADVENTURE TIME ,STEVEN all have animation that look like a 5 yr old with a broken hand drew them ( not hating on injury , im just saying animation should have a standard ...even CHOWDER was great cus it had CGI/CLAYMATION but that got killed in the war of cartoon network vs disney.

25. KrangPrime

KrangPrime Master Member

DC Animated movies....

I just watched Gods and Monsters.

The story was good. it's ALWAYS great to see the classic animated designs and bruce timm come back into the fold.

but the voice acting was suprisingly dull....listening to batman almost is enough to lull you to sleep. I'm getting real tired of this trend of using celebrity or psudo celebrity voice actors for 'big' projects like these. just be cause robin williams was good doesn't mean EVERYONE will be good at it.

what's the next one in line, or has there been a next one announced?

as far as favorites go...I liked the one where Bruce had a son, Damian. even though it was REALLY unbelievable with the amount of Damage young D could take and still fight in one of them, the dynamic between the two characters was interesting.

Flashpoint was incredibly boring. I HATE stories where everyone dies or some big destructive thing gets undone in the last minute. makes the whole story kind of pointless. plus, I'm getting tired of gory and violent animations that DC has been doing as of late.

all in all though, on the most part, I've been enjoying the animated entries so far.
    it'll be interesting to see what they do next.

26. KrangPrime

KrangPrime Master Member

once again the search engine function fails to bring up an pre existing thread. sigh.

DC doesn't want to do fun 'kiddie' stuff anymore. that effort is painfully clear with their recent efforts. The Battle for Atlantis movie, Flash Point Paradox, Gods and Monsters. never mind man of Steel, this terrible looking Batman Versus Superman and Suicide Squad.

Simple designs with the classic characters is a time long since passed. that mantle has been passed off to Marvel...and it's no reason why they are doing so well and dominating things. It's what I wish DC WOULD be doing with these characters. the closest thing we have to this is the Flash Series on CW. that's just pure super hero fun.

Once you get used to all the blood and guts and characters getting killed, or ripped in half, it gets boring after a while. there's more to a serious story than swearing and punching a hole through them. it has to have some kind of heart which most dc animated and live action stuff seem to be missing.

27. Cappy

Cappy Member

Are they not suppose to be doing a animated movie with Adam west and Burt ward, doing the voices.
    That might be right up your alley. I'm looking forward to it.

28. Mektar

Mektar Well-Known Member

Re: DC Animated movies....

A new batman following the events of son of batman and batman vs robin. Think its called batman: bad blood and let us not forget the killing joke ofc also released 2016.

29. Father

Father Sr Member

I put on Assault on Arkham last night and it had the same effect as the last time I watched it... I woke up four hours later no remembering which part put me to sleep.

30. third3ye

Trailer for JL vs Teen Titans released, actually looks promising. I haven't cared for Damian as Robin in any of the previous movies, but him in a team setting might make for more entertaining dynamics.

31. Riceball

Riceball Sr Member

Looks like JL vs. Teen Titans might be good, it sounds like they got all of the original Titan's voice actors back which is a good thing. I'm not too crazy about Raven's costume though, there's nothing wrong with the costume from the two series. What's really going to be weird for me, though, is seeing a serious portrayal of the Teen Titans, I'm used to the original animated series and Teen Titans Go! so it's going to be very interesting to see them not being funny,

Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
  32. Father

Father Sr Member

JL v TT looks cool I welcome a more serious version. Teen Titans Go is stupid.
    The original was a little more of a serious feel to it, which was way better.
    When is this due out?

Batman Bad Blood was ok... nothing spectacular.
    I will say Talia al Ghul is drawn very well. :love

The story wasn't horrible... I probably need to re-watch it because I dozed off for about 10-15 minutes toward the end.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
  33. Mektar

Mektar Well-Known Member

Cdi7nF1W4AElCAz.jpg

first image from the upcoming killing joke animated. Im prob even more excited about this then other superhero movies. Prob has to do with the fact that its both mark hamill and kevin conroy taking on their respected roles :)

Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
  34. Riceball

Riceball Sr Member

That's what I originally thought when I first saw Teen Titans Go! but having watched it regularly with my wife and kids I can honestly say that it's not that bad and while it's not the original if's actually pretty funny. One of the things that's cool about it is that it makes nods to the original all the time, they've brought back The Hive, Tera, Cinderblock, Dr. Light, and other villains as well as friends like Aqualad. But the show seems to have run out of steam and this current season isn't quite as funny as previous ones and I strongly suspect that it will be the last. Regardless, you should really give it a shot, it's really not that bad and once you get used to the new art style you might find that it's actually pretty funny.

35. KrangPrime

KrangPrime Master Member

true on this. imagine whata modern DC Batman The Animated series could do, so long as it was still aimed at kids, and not trying to be all adult?

I'm just tired of all this batman stuff... GIVE SOME OTHER HEROES A CHANCE! how about another wonder woman movie? the first one was good. or a green lantern one that doesn't delve into the origin story, AGAIN. or a flash stand alone story? Always batman, batman, batman...

that being said..where do I even begin with Batman: Bad Blood?

I like the fact that bruce has a son...and that he's taken up the mantle of robin. that's a bout it.
    the kid seems pretty much invincible in all these movies, beyond belief. that makes him rather unlikable, especially since he's already a snot. one of the nice things about this movie is that he's mellowing a bit, and even calling bruce his father now without hestiation. even if, I think if I followed the movie right, he's almost a clone rather than a true son. I stopped and started the movie multiple times, so it was tough to keep track of.

any time I see adult themes added into animation, I groan out loud. Was Batwoman ALWAYS a lesbian? and fighting in her bathrobe?

Too me, the Batwoman character (first seen in a bruce tim animated series for myself at least), ALWAYS seemed redundant. It's like someone at DC said 'we need to be a little more progressive. we can't change the name of BatGIRL because it's been around so long, but it seems rather dated. so, lets create a new bat character called bat WOMAN and give BatGirl a bit of a break.' And when BatGIRL shows up at the end of the movie, in that terrible looking New 52 outfit.....that's what I thought. why is the original even around anymore with 'Bat WOMAN' still lurking about?

don't even get me started on batwing. I've never seen this character before, and I like the IDEA....but it's basically Terry McGuiness 2.0 and about 70 years earlier. there is no need for batwoman. batwing makes it even more goofy.

Batman, Robin, Nightwing, and Batgirl should be all that's needed. switch around the robins every few years if you want....but keep it to the core four...

36. CessnaDriver

CessnaDriver Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Good to hear the voices are locked in. It was a comic I could hand people back in the day when the giggle factor on Batman was still high and convert them to becoming a true believer. LOL I don't know if the story has lost it's punch now days to younger eyes but I still hold it in high regard.

37. Mektar

Mektar Well-Known Member

teaser for upcoming killing joke. theres also a longer trailer altho audio isnt that good.

Snikt and Riceball like this.
  38. KrangPrime

KrangPrime Master Member

I started reading a little of killing joke a few days ago in preparation for this.

the beginning of it really does read like a B:TAS episode.

will check out JL VRS TT soon..

39. Snikt

Snikt Sr Member

There is also a 10 minute featurette too, I would link it but something is wrong and its not linking. Im super stoked KC and MH are in there, it wouldnt be the same without them. Super excited.

Riceball likes this.
  40. KrangPrime

KrangPrime Master Member

All star superman was probably one of my favorite little animated movies they've done.

it all tied together nicely. it showed superman acting human, while still saving even the * of his universe..

I just wish the voice acting in it was a little better. supermans VO was one note and dull. Lex sounded the same.
    Lois just sounded bored....

41. Father

Father Sr Member

Most of these movies put me to sleep by the climax/big battle.

Having said that I really enjoy the animation style of the most recent ones.

I wish they would pick up more seasons of Young Justice. That's been the best DC show to date in my opinion. The animation, stories, and writing were all top notch.
    Instead they always seem to revert to a babied-down version of Batman.

42. KrangPrime

KrangPrime Master Member

that's kind of why i liked allstar superman. a bunch of short stories that could have easily been superman/animated series episodes.
    But I agree. I'm tiring of batman. none of them really tread new ground with the character... just the same stuff over and over again.

arn't there any great moments in Green Lantern history, or wonder woman history that could equal peoples opinions of 'death in the family' or 'killing joke?'

give OTHER characters other than batman a chance...and do them right.

43. Father

Father Sr Member

Agreed. I wish they would more GL. Get into the Hal Jordan as Parallax and Darkest Night stories.
    The way they keep pushing Batman infers their other hero characters don't have strong enough stories to occupy a feature length cartoon.

I like the the alternate universe stories. A feature length movie even based on the Injustice game's story would be cool.

44. Mektar

Mektar Well-Known Member

well you can now vieuw it on netflix. Also there was a video from danica who voiced miss martian urging to binge it to spark interest in it :p

Agree tho after watching that i felt like i was watching the older animated series quality and was a shame to find out then that it was cancelled.

45. KrangPrime

KrangPrime Master Member

Justice league versus teen titans.

My god... the way they draw some of these female characters. Firesprites power is simply standing up under her own chest weight...and her transformation.....I almost groaned out load.

Superman and Wonderwomans New 52 costume is also god awful ugly. I'll never get used to it. I keep on wanting to tell superman 'dress fully, your cape is untucked'...

the movie itself wasn't bad though. nice to see the return of raven and delve into her history a little. at least this battle remembered to have some humor and action into it.
    I also like that they seem to be keeping a running plotline with damian. although Ido wish he was a true son of bruce and not a clone or genetically engineered. it would humanize bruce a little more.

also, these dc features need better celebrity voice talent. superman is so dull sounding.

46. Riceball

Riceball Sr Member

I totally agree with you on Wonderwoman's costume, I don't know if it's what she wears in the comics but the outfit in this movie was awful, very boring and uninspired.

47. firesprite

firesprite Master Member

Bwahahahaahahaha! I'm not sure whether to be flattered or insulted! ;)

KrangPrime likes this.
  48. Riceball

Riceball Sr Member

Firesprite? You mean Starfire? That's pretty much how she's always been depicted in the comics.

49. KrangPrime

KrangPrime Master Member

whoops, my bad, you're right ;o)... was thinking of fire sprites post from another thread ;o).. didn't even notice that ;o).

- - - Updated - - -

Also, are superman and wonder woman a thing in new 52?

I always liked the teamup of Bruce and Diana myself.

- - - Updated - - -

ahh, it's too early in the morning to get characters confused. apologies to firesprite ;o)..

Riceball and firesprite like this.
  50. firesprite

firesprite Master Member

No worries. It made me legit laugh out loud, so it's all good. :)